[sci.military] How many F-15's does Saudi Arabi have?

randy@ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton) (01/17/91)

From: randy@ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton)
bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler) writes:
>From: bbesler@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Brent H. Besler)
>How many F-15's does Saudi Arabi have?  I recall them having somewhere
>over 100 of them

_The Military Balance_, which in it's opening paragraph claims to be accurate
as of 1 June '88, says there are:

15 F-5b's
63 F-5e's
10 RF-5e's
22 F-5f's
20 Tornado IDS's  (probably more by now)
45 F-15c's
17 F-15d's

The thing that strikes me most is the number of different modles they have.
You'd think that they would standardize on one model of F-5's, one model of
F-15's, etc.

-Randy
My feelings on George Bush's promises:
	"You have just exceeded the gulibility threshold!"
============================================Randy@ms.uky.edu==================

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: randy@ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton)
>15 F-5b's
>63 F-5e's
>10 RF-5e's
>22 F-5f's
>45 F-15c's
>17 F-15d's
>
>The thing that strikes me most is the number of different modles they have.
>You'd think that they would standardize on one model of F-5's, one model of
>F-15's, etc.

The differences are not as large as they look.  About half of them are just
single-seaters (F-5E, F-15C) vs two-seaters (F-5F, F-15D).  You have to have
the two-seaters for training, but fighters designed to be single-seaters
often have poorer performance in the training variant, so you don't want
all two-seaters.

The F-5B is much older than the F-5E; those are probably 20-30-year-old
aircraft held over in secondary roles.

The RF-5E is a specialized recon variant of the F-5E:  the whole nose is
different, redesigned to hold cameras.  So you really can't get rid of
them either.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

dvlssd@cs.umu.se (Stefan Skoglund) (01/19/91)

From: dvlssd@cs.umu.se (Stefan Skoglund)
The congress has agreed to sell 150 F-15E multi-role fighters to SA.
Or something like that.
It was in the pappers around 1 Sep.

Stefan Skoglund, dvlssd@cs.umu.se