[sci.military] Where do the most casualties occur ?

muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) (01/15/91)

From: pur-ee!muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah)

In any war event, when does most of the casualties to the combatants occur ?
[Air raids ? ground assaults ?  etc]

gt8389a@prism.gatech.edu (Scott E. Harris) (01/16/91)

From: gt8389a@prism.gatech.edu (Scott E. Harris)

In article <1991Jan15.021152.22475@cbnews.att.com> pur-ee!muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) writes:

>In any war event, when does most of the casualties to the combatants occur ?
>[Air raids ? ground assaults ?  etc]

Without a doubt, the most casualties occur in ground attacks, or in
assaults on ground forces.

--
Scott E. Harris                     --     Charlie Parker Lives!
Georgia Institute of Technology     --     Go Jackets!  Sting 'em!

bell@krypton.arc.nasa.gov (bell hel co.) (01/16/91)

From: bell@krypton.arc.nasa.gov (bell hel co.)
In article <1991Jan15.021152.22475@cbnews.att.com>, pur-ee!muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) writes...

>In any war event, when does most of the casualties to the combatants occur ?
>[Air raids ? ground assaults ?  etc]

Artillery.

military-request@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) (01/16/91)

From: military-request@att.att.com (Bill Thacker)

In article <1991Jan15.021152.22475@cbnews.att.com> pur-ee!muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) writes:

>In any war event, when does most of the casualties to the combatants occur ?
>[Air raids ? ground assaults ?  etc]

As today's replies show (and tomorrow's will no doubt continue to show)
this question doesn't lend itself to a pat answer.  It's too loosely
worded.

Readers will interpret this in different ways, based on their own
knowledge and experience.  For instance, I would first say "artillery
inflicts the most casualties," but that presumes an active battlefield.

Suppose, instead, the land battle stagnates and a strategic air campaign
is carried out.  Then the correct answer will be "downed aircrews."
Or if the warfare reduces itself to a simple blockade, ships' crews may
account for the bulk of the casualties.

Even if we limit ourselves to a "traditional" land campaign of the WWII
pattern (for no particular reason) the question is tricky.  Does it ask
"which sort of weapon injures the most people ?", or "what phase of the
battle accounts for the most casualties ?", or even "what weapon system
inflicts the most casualties per unit time ?"

--	--	--	--	--	--	--	--	--
Bill Thacker   Moderator, sci.military  military-request@att.att.com
(614) 860-5294      Send submissions to military@att.att.com

kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kevin A. Geiselman) (01/18/91)

From: Kevin A. Geiselman <kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

In article <1991Jan15.021152.22475@cbnews.att.com> pur-ee!muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) writes:

>In any war event, when does most of the casualties to the combatants occur ?
>[Air raids ? ground assaults ?  etc]

"During World War II, artillery accounted for 58% of all casualties. In open
plains and deserts, 75% of the casualties were artillery caused; in mixed
terrain, 63%; and in forests and towns, 50%. Today most combat troops have
armored transport, but artillery guns, munitions and their methods of
employment have improved considerably. In addition, armies are more motorized
and more dependant on supplies of fuel, ammunition and spares, all carried
by unarmored vehicles. Even heavily armored Russian divisions consist of 68%
unarmored vehicles, perfect targets for the new, improved artillery. The
infantry, and everyone else, has more to fear."

				James F. Dunnigan "How to Make War"

  Kevin A. Geiselman     Internet : kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu
                                  : kagst@pittvms.bitnet
   (412) 241-5447	  US Mail : 301 Overdale Rd. Pittsburgh, PA 15221-4435

js1s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Reed Sylvie) (01/18/91)

From: Jonathan Reed Sylvie <js1s+@andrew.cmu.edu>
As a field artilleryman, I can most assuredly state the the most
casualties in a conventional war do in fact come from artillery
barrages.  In Field Artillery School (Fort Sill, OK), we were told that
upwards of 70% of the damage to soldiers and equipment in conflicts from
WWII to the present day were in fact caused by field artillery.  They
don't call it "The King of Battle" for nothing...

        CDT Jon "Fluffy" Sylvie
        Carnegie Mellon University

muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) (01/18/91)

From: pur-ee!muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah)
In article <1991Jan16.012141.8051@cbnews.att.com> military-request@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) writes:
|From: military-request@att.att.com (Bill Thacker)
|In article <1991Jan15.021152.22475@cbnews.att.com> pur-ee!muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) writes:
|>
|>In any war event, when does most of the casualties to the combatants occur ?
|>[Air raids ? ground assaults ?  etc]
|As today's replies show (and tomorrow's will no doubt continue to show)
|this question doesn't lend itself to a pat answer.  It's too loosely
|worded.
|Readers will interpret this in different ways, based on their own
|knowledge and experience.  For instance, I would first say "artillery
|inflicts the most casualties," but that presumes an active battlefield.

When the battle has all ended and when casualty counts are made the
question can surely be asked where did the most casualties occur ?
In another cut, it may also be asked how many of casualties actually
occured in battles as opposed to mines, sniper fire and the like.

mhuang@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( * * Hunter * * ) (01/19/91)

From: mhuang@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( * * Hunter * * )

Once again, pierce@bcstec.boeing.com (Greg Pierce) declares...
>(Ranjan S Muttiah)
>>In any war event, when does most of the casualties to
>>the combatants occur ?  [Air raids ? ground assaults ?  etc]
>
>I read statistics derived from the Vietnam War which made
>the conclusion that the bulk (65-70%) of enemy
>casualties were a direct result of the grunt in
>the field with his M-16/M-60.

Actually, the 65%-70% of shoot-down percentages are correct to a certain
extent.  From analysis of the Vietname conflict, about 65% to 70% of
American aircraft shot down in Vietname were because of damage to
critical fuel systems.  That were not multipully redundant.

Gunfire, etc.  is somewhat irrelevant, because damage can occur because
of nearly any sort of weapon...

Hunt--->

--
 mhuang@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU=======Adm. Michael "Hunter" Huang, NCC-1736=======#
 mhuang@nike.CalPoly.EDU           //            Amiga: The Vision of Tomorrow

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (01/19/91)

From: jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook)

In article <1991Jan17.052222.27310@cbnews.att.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>Point of information:  In WWII, 80% of casualties suffered in battle by
>the US Army were absorbed by the infantry.  This number is even more
>shocking when you consider that only 10% of the Army were infantrymen.

I don't find this very shocking at all when you consider that the people
doing the fighting are infantrymen!  Stating that this is shocking is akin
to saying "Wow, you know that in the average football game, players take
most of the injuries and the coaching staff almost takes NONE!?"

Not being facetious, just making what I thought was an obvious observation.

Brian

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (01/19/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
> >Without a doubt, the most casualties occur in ground attacks, or in
> >assaults on ground forces.
>
> Point of information:  In WWII, 80% of casualties suffered in battle by
> the US Army were absorbed by the infantry.  This number is even more
> shocking when you consider that only 10% of the Army were infantrymen.

  According to Vietnam statistics on casualty evacuation, 51% of deaths
  were caused by small arms and 65% of wounds were caused by artillery
  fragments.

         Causes              Deaths(KIA)  Wounds(WIA)
         Small Arms              51%           16%
         Artillery Fragments     36%           65%
         Booby Traps, Mines      11%           15%
         Punji stakes            --             2%
         others                   2%            2%

  Location of wounds are categorized in the following areas:  Head and Neck,
  Upper Chest, Lower Abdomen, Arms, Legs.

        Location of wounds    Fatal          Non-fatal
          Head and Neck         39%            14%
          Upper Chest           19%             7%
          Lower Abdomen         18%             5%
          Multi-sites           16%            20%
          Legs                   7%            36%
          Arms                   1%            18%

   The high proportion of fatalities were due to head and neck wounds
   attributed to the reluctance of troops in combat to wear their helmets.

   The proportion of small arms KIA in Vietnam was a significant increase
   over World War II (32%) and Korea (33%).  Medical reports indicate that
   this was due to the AK-47's lightweight, high-velocity rounds.  These
   bullets caused large entry and exit wounds, left severe tissue damage,
   and affected blood vessels out of the direct path of the bullet.  The
   AK-47 rapid fire increased the proportion of multiple wounds.

   (Source:  Vietnam Studies, Medical Evacuation,
    Department of the Army Pamphlet)

   mike schmitt

A512JANW%HASARA11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Jan Wim Wesselius) (01/21/91)

From: Jan Wim Wesselius <A512JANW%HASARA11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
On 19 January 1991 Brian K. W. Hook (jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu) wrote:

| In article <1991Jan17.052222.27310@cbnews.att.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu
| (Allan Bourdius) writes:

|> Point of information:  In WWII, 80% of casualties suffered in battle by
|> the US Army were absorbed by the infantry.  This number is even more
|> shocking when you consider that only 10% of the Army were infantrymen.

| I don't find this very shocking at all when you consider that the people
| doing the fighting are infantrymen!  Stating that this is shocking is akin
| to saying "Wow, you know that in the average football game, players take
| most of the injuries and the coaching staff almost takes NONE!?"

| Not being facetious, just making what I thought was an obvious observation.

Well, whether or not you think it shocking, the average American volunteer
or conscript certainly has experienced it that way, which (among other
causes) led to the generally recognized rather poor quality of the American
infantry soldier in this century (see, e.g., Dunnigan *et al.*). In armies
where this imbalance is smaller the PBI tends to be more respected and
valued, if only because of increased self-respect...

Jan Wim Wesselius, University of Amsterdam
A512JANW@HASARA11 // Wesselius@SARA.NL

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/21/91)

From: det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer)
pur-ee!muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) writes:

>From: pur-ee!muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah)

>In any war event, when does most of the casualties to the combatants occur ?
>[Air raids ? ground assaults ?  etc]

That is a pretty vague question.  I would suggest (equally vaguely) that
artillery "provides" the most casualties in an active.  In a static
situation, however, sickness and disease are the biggest source.  I
believe that up to %3 per day of a division in a static emplacement will
become incapacitated due to disease and the like.  Without a viable
and/or efficient replacements system, you would be suprised how fast
your division becomes a cadre at that rate...

derek
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need