[sci.military] Listening to the Gulf

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (01/19/91)

From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
In keeping with the Moderator's emphasis on keeping this discussion
technological, I'd like to reference the communication technology of
the various forces now involved in the conflict. Since the initial
impression is that this will primarily be a night war, this means that
there will be a darkness path between the Gulf and the US during
likely periods of action, say 2300 GMT to 0300 GMT or so. This will
allow HF radio propagation from that area to here on lower frequencies,
and maybe some slightly higher frequencies depending on solar flux and
anomalies.

I've read with envy of people in the US during WWII being able to
receive tactical radio signals from the European battlefields. Maybe
we'll have a chance to receive similar signals?

Therefore, I ask that anyone able to receive any such signals, or
getting information from other sources on frequencies and times such
signals are detected, post that information here. There is a
rec.radio.shortwave newsgroup and associated "SWL" mailing list that
should contain such information, but I've been cut off from that list
for over a month due to some unknown network-connectivity problem, and,
besides, getting info from there extracted and digested into a
military-related summary here will be most worthwhile for the
sci.military participants.

(Before anyone brings it up, let me quash this potential objection;
this will NOT be a security breach. Tactical radio signals are expected
to be intercepted; secure traffic is already encrypted, and uses
spread-spectrun and/or frequency-hopping techniques that won't be
detectable on ordinary radios anyway. There's nothing that will be
posted here that Iraqi military intelligence won't already know in
this area.)

Regards, Will
wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

PS Most disappointing news item I've heard so far: "Saddam Hussein was
seen on the streets of Baghdad this morning touring the damaged
installations." Not only was he still around, but the streets were safe
enough for him (or anyone) to come out from their holes. I would have
hoped the bombardment would have continued on a random and irregular
basis, so that the streets would not be safe anytime, daylight or
dark... Guess that would be a mite expensive... WM

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (01/21/91)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

>From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
>
> Most disappointing news item I've heard so far: "Saddam Hussein was
>seen on the streets of Baghdad this morning touring the damaged
>installations." Not only was he still around, but the streets were safe
>enough for him (or anyone) to come out from their holes. I would have
>hoped the bombardment would have continued on a random and irregular
>basis, so that the streets would not be safe anytime, daylight or
>dark... Guess that would be a mite expensive... WM

AND politically damaging!  If you'll notice, the primary targets at
this early stage in the war have been strictly military in nature.
I heard a report on CNN on the 18th that some 25 Iraqi civilians were
being treated for minor injuries due to being in the general vicinity
of a bomb blast.  Casualties on BOTH sides have been extraordinarily
low to this point -- a testament to Hussein's inability to strike with
ferocity and the Coalition's ability to strike ACCURATELY.

Even the SCUD shots at Israel haven't caused any severe casualties (to
this point at least, as of 19 Jan 91), despite being targetted at civilian
areas.  (Further evidence that Hussein has such a blatant disregard for
human life.)

This war so far seems like a victory for the defense contractors in this
nation, whose reputation has been diminished due to "cost over-runs" and
"failed tests."  I'd much rather see a $1.2 million cruise missile get
shot down than a jet with an American pilot....

-shane

"Welcome to the '1991 Iraqi Invitational Gulf Tournament'!"