[sci.military] B-1s in gulf?

beckerd@cs.unc.edu (David Becker) (01/17/91)

From: beckerd@cs.unc.edu (David Becker)

>From: harryo@ihlpa.att.com (Harold R Holm)
>... any increased activity
>by SAC B-52/B-1 ...
>US since late last week?

As I read this post I realized this is the _first_ time I've seen B-1s
mentionsed anywhere in regards to the gulf.  Can't B-1s do conventional
missions?  Everyone has been pointing to the B-52s to do the carpet
bombing.  What of the B-1s?

	vi== Manual Transmission	emacs== Automatic Transmission
David Becker beckerd@cs.unc.edu    I drive a stick 8v)

jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) (01/19/91)

From: jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop)
beckerd@cs.unc.edu (David Becker) writes:

>From: beckerd@cs.unc.edu (David Becker)

>>From: harryo@ihlpa.att.com (Harold R Holm)
>>... any increased activity
>>by SAC B-52/B-1 ...
>>US since late last week?

>As I read this post I realized this is the _first_ time I've seen B-1s
>mentionsed anywhere in regards to the gulf.  Can't B-1s do conventional
>missions?  Everyone has been pointing to the B-52s to do the carpet
>bombing.  What of the B-1s?

     I haven't talked to anyone to confirm this, but it seems to me that
releasing the B-1's from SIOP (Strategic Integrated Operating Plan) duties
would present problems, just as it did with the B-52's in Vietnam.  Also,
the risk of losing a B-1 to the Iraqis, no matter how small, is probably
unacceptable; besides, the B-52's are doing fine.
--
jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead; there's something wrong.
Can you hear me, Major Tom?" -- David Bowie

cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (((((C.Irby))))) (01/22/91)

From: cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (((((C.Irby)))))

> beckerd@cs.unc.edu (David Becker) writes:
>
>      I haven't talked to anyone to confirm this, but it seems to me that
> releasing the B-1's from SIOP (Strategic Integrated Operating Plan) duties
> would present problems, just as it did with the B-52's in Vietnam.  Also,
> the risk of losing a B-1 to the Iraqis, no matter how small, is probably
> unacceptable; besides, the B-52's are doing fine.

I read in the paper here that the B-1 fleet is pretty much grounded
because of severe engine problems...

I guess it would really cause problems if they "shot themselves down"
in public, especially since all of the other systems are working fine.

(BTW- has anyone else felt like they've been watching the world's
longest General Dynamics/Raytheon commercial for the last few days???)

--

*C Irby      Bitnet: cirby@untvax  *  "Admiration is for poets and for
*Internet: cirby@vaxa.acs.unt.edu  *   dairy cows, Bobby!"