[sci.military] Stealth bombers

wade@gouda.ucs.ubc.ca (Doug Wade) (01/18/91)

From: wade@gouda.ucs.ubc.ca (Doug Wade)

Our local newspaper reported that B-2 stealth bombers were in the
Persian Gulf. Am I right in assuming they err'ed and really meant
the F-117?

dps@otter.hpl.hp.com (Duncan Smith) (01/22/91)

From: dps@otter.hpl.hp.com (Duncan Smith)

/ otter:sci.military / military@cbnews.hpl.hp.com /  3:33 am  Jan 21, 1991 /
>>Our local newspaper reported that B-2 stealth bombers were in the
>>Persian Gulf. Am I right in assuming they err'ed and really meant
>>the F-117?
>
>Yes, they must have assumed that "stealth" == B2.  They meant F-117
>stealth fighters.

I wonder if some of the confusion might stem from the fact that we have
so-called 'fighters' that seem to do nothing but drop bombs. They
seem to have given up calling F-111s anything but bombers these days.

Duncan