[sci.military] CNN & battlefield communications; missile info

Douglas.Reece@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU (01/19/91)

From: Douglas.Reece@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU
National Public Radio said today that CNN had wired communictations
betwen Bahgdad and Amman.  They were thus much less susceptible to RF
jamming. Also, they mentioned that BBC had a "satellite telephone"
which could be jammed, but sometimes wasn't. On the other hand, they
thought it a good idea to close such communications during a strike to
avoid being taken as a target.

Question:  My library doesn't have the appropriate volumes of Jane's,
and I'd like to know some details about the SCUD (mobile) and Patriot systems.

SCUD: How are these targeted and guided?  How hard is it to drive a
launcher someplace, program in a target, and navigate it to the target?
Is it susceptible to ECM en route?  Is it vulnerable to AAM's while it
comes up to speed?

Patriot: How far away can targets be detected?  What sort of guidance
is used, and what is the warhead like?  Any ideas as to why Israel
wouldn't be using them?

Thanks,

	Doug	dreece@ius.cs.cmu.edu

stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson x2580 dept303) (01/22/91)

From: stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson x2580 dept303)

In article <1991Jan19.041207.4805@cbnews.att.com> Douglas.Reece@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>SCUD: How are these targeted and guided?  How hard is it to drive a
>launcher someplace, program in a target, and navigate it to the target?
>Is it susceptible to ECM en route?  Is it vulnerable to AAM's while it
>comes up to speed?

The SCUD uses inertial guidance and follows a balistic trajectory.
Apparently the warhead separates from the main body of the missile before
impact.  I suppose the difficulty of setting up and launching the missile
is mostly a function of what kind of terrain they are moving the
vehicles on...  Since the vehicle uses inertial guidance, i.e. internal
determination of its own location, the missile should be immune to ECM.  Is
it vulnerable to AAM?...looks like ;-)

>Patriot: How far away can targets be detected?  What sort of guidance
>is used, and what is the warhead like?  Any ideas as to why Israel
>wouldn't be using them?

I think I saw some numbers reported as being able to track targets
at 50 miles out...  The missile uses a phased array radar system
for initial tracking...I'm confused as to whether the missile carries
it's own on-board radar or whether it receives instructions from the
ground based radar... The missile uses an explosive proximity fuse
warhead that throws out a cone of debris consisting of dense metalic
cubes with the intent of causing the incomming missile to fly threw
that cone of debris.

Steve Wilson

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (01/23/91)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
CNN apparently had a "nailed-up" connection to Jordan.  This means
they took a trunk circuit from the office in Bagdad and hard-wired
it to CNN's hotel room, in effect taking the loop from the hotel
and connecting it to the trunk wire to Jordan.  Power (battery) could be
provided from either end, thereby totally bypassing the switching
equipment.  So when the LGB re-configured the central office in
Bagdad, the connection to CNN stayed up.  Probably copper all the
way.