[sci.military] Scud reload rate

emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) (01/22/91)

From: emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery)
The predominant time in reloading a SCUD (or variants) is the time to
fuel the missile.  The SCUD is a liquid-fueled missile, and this takes
a time that I've heard quoted as up to 5 hours.  However, it appears
that you can fuel the missile and then move the launcher truck (at
some risk).  The Army (FM 100-2-3, OPEN SOURCE!) estimates about 1
hour from arrival to launch from a pre-prepared position.  According
to Isby (Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army, 2d Ed), the export
version has a manual fire control system (which probably adds to the
setup time).  The reload truck carries 2 or 3 (it's not clear from my
sources) extra missiles, and apparently there are some fuel trucks
somewhere, too.

The Iraqui modifications are interesting.  Basically, they added range
to conventional SCUD's by trading off payload and possibly
reliability. (Cordesman & Wagner, Lessons of Modern War v 2,
Iran-Iraq War; see also Jane's Soviet Intelligence Review, NOV 90).

Numbers of launchers and missiles vary, but the most common number
I've heard is "36 mobile launchers".  The number of missiles (either
SCUD or Iraqui modifications) varies from ~200 to close to ~1000, with
~500 seeming to be a reasonable (pessimistic) estimate.

A good question is "is the launcher for the Iraqui modified missiles
observably different than the standard SCUD launcher?"  I don't know.

Finally, remember that the Iraquis have been conducting a lot of
experiments in long-range ballistic missiles at their research
facilities (which I suspect are in pretty bad shape right now), so
it's hard to know what enhancements they may have made to reduce
response time.  Finding a mobile launcher deploying from a "hide
position" is very difficult, if the missile has been pre-fueled and
you've done a lot of the advance site work, such as survey.  This is
why we'll never be 100% sure that we've gotten all of the SCUD
launchers.

				dave emery
				CPT, FA, NHARNG
				Counterfire Officer, 197 FA Bde

Quotes:  "Saddam Hussein is not a target."  GEN Colin Powell
(from	 "OK, Can we target his clothes?"  197th FA Bde targeting section
 my
 Drill	 "I have used a small proportion of my military forces"
 Weekend)		Saddam Hussein
	 "Yeah, those still left alive."  197th FA Bde spokesman

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (01/23/91)

From: broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl)
In article <1991Jan22.020853.21552@cbnews.att.com> emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:
>The Iraqui modifications are interesting.

Technically, the modifications were done by German and Brazilian engineers
hired by the Iraqis.

>Basically, they added range to conventional SCUD's by trading off payload
> and possibly reliability.

If by "reliability" you mean accuracy, I suspect this is due to the inaccuracy
inherent in the inertial guidance system used by the SCUD.  While adequate
for the initial 185 mile range, the inaccuracies mount with distance.

--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@sunee.waterloo.edu OR broehl@sunee.UWaterloo.ca