[sci.military] Size of Fuel Air Munitions

jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Jeff Berkowitz) (01/14/91)

From: Jeff Berkowitz <jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>

I recently recieved some secondhand information that the US now has
Fuel Air weapons in the kiloton range, that is, equivalent to small
(tactical) nuclear weapons.  Supposedly, the detonation is capable
of producing an EMP pulse (an effect traditionally  associated only
with nuclear weapons).  Also supposedly, this weapon can be delivered
by cruise missile.

I was somewhat incredulous, except that (1) I have a high degree of
trust in the source, and (2) he quoted a nonclassified source that
I don't have easy access to: the Naval Institute Proceedings (I don't
know the issue).  I don't want to say why I trust the source person,
or who he is.  But it's not naive trust.

I know we just talked about FAEs in this group, but I don't remember
reading anything like this.  Does anyone have any real information to
add?
--
Jeff Berkowitz N6QOM	  uunet!sequent!jjb	| Bugs are God's way of saying
Sequent Computer Systems  jjb@sequent.com	| you have too much free time.

daemon@UCSD.EDU (01/15/91)

From: celit!daemon@UCSD.EDU

In article <1991Jan14.011347.6684@cbnews.att.com> jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Jeff Berkowitz) writes:

>From: Jeff Berkowitz <jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>
>
>I recently recieved some secondhand information that the US now has
>Fuel Air weapons in the kiloton range, that is, equivalent to small
>(tactical) nuclear weapons.  Supposedly, the detonation is capable
>of producing an EMP pulse (an effect traditionally  associated only
>with nuclear weapons).  Also supposedly, this weapon can be delivered
>by cruise missile.

This would seem to break down just on the physics of the situation.  "Kiloton"
range refers to something with the explosive effect of 1000 tons of TNT.
With a FAM you can decrease the mass of the warhead because the oxidizer
is in the atmosphere.  Even a factor of 10 reduction in weigh of the
warhead would leave you with a 100 ton warhead which is a lot more than any
cruise missile is going to carry.

The EMP is credible.  Conventional explosives are used to simulate nuclear
EMP for testing.
--
David L. Smith
FPS Computing, San Diego        ucsd!celit!dave or dave@fps.com

finn@isi.edu (Greg Finn) (01/15/91)

From: finn@isi.edu (Greg Finn)

>From: Jeff Berkowitz <jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>

>I recently recieved some secondhand information that the US now has
>Fuel Air weapons in the kiloton range, that is, equivalent to small
>(tactical) nuclear weapons. ...

>I was somewhat incredulous, except that (1) I have a high degree of
>trust in the source, ...

	I am not a military weapons analyst.  However, fuel air munitions
are chemical in nature.  A kiloton charge is 1000 tons of TNT equivalent
explosive.  Bomb and shell sizes are practically limited to several tons.
For your hypothetical bomb to exist, a fuel would need an energy to mass
ratio at least 100 times larger than that for TNT.  So, I doubt it.

finn@isi.edu (Greg Finn) (01/16/91)

From: Greg Finn <finn@isi.edu>

cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (((((C.Irby))))) (01/18/91)

From: cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (((((C.Irby)))))

In article <1991Jan15.021714.23645@cbnews.att.com>, finn@isi.edu (Greg Finn) writes:
>>From: Jeff Berkowitz <jjb%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>
>
>>I recently recieved some secondhand information that the US now has
>>Fuel Air weapons in the kiloton range, that is, equivalent to small
>>(tactical) nuclear weapons. ...

> 	I am not a military weapons analyst.  However, fuel air munitions
> are chemical in nature.  A kiloton charge is 1000 tons of TNT equivalent
> explosive.  Bomb and shell sizes are practically limited to several tons.
> For your hypothetical bomb to exist, a fuel would need an energy to mass
> ratio at least 100 times larger than that for TNT.  So, I doubt it.

Well, not really...

Since nuclear weapons have to deal with the inverse cube law for increases
in destructive effect, a multi-kiloton weapon is not as effective as it
might sound.

A Fuel Air Munition, by its very nature, spreads the explosive effect
over a large area.  A properly designed and detonated FAM should do a
*lot* of damage over a wide area.  1000 kilograms of liquid propane will
make a huge cloud of explosive vapor, which (when detonated) creates
overpressures and fires over a very wide area.

Some of the books I've read on BLEVEs (Boiling Liquid/Expanding Vapor
Explosions) scare the *hell* out of me.  A FAM probably won't use a
cryogenic liquid, but the effects can be very similar...

--

*C Irby      Bitnet: cirby@untvax  *  "Admiration is for poets and for
*Internet: cirby@vaxa.acs.unt.edu  *   dairy cows, Bobby!"

megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) (01/18/91)

From: megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23)

>I know we just talked about FAEs in this group, but I don't remember
>reading anything like this.  Does anyone have any real information to
>add?

This is some info I found in rec.pyrotechnics last fall.

The following text is excerpted from "Arsenal of Democracy-III: AMERICA'S
WAR MACHINE (The Pursuit of Global Dominance)" by Tom Gervasi (Global Press,
1984 - ISBN 0-394-54102-2) page 253:

FUEL AIR MUNITIONS -

Developed toward the end of the war in Vietnam, this new type of air
munition uses highly volatile fuels, including ethylene oxide, propylene
oxide, meththylacetlyene, propadiene, propane and butane, to produce an
explosive rather than an incendiary effect.  Released into the air, they
form a highly combustible cloud that, on detonation, produces more than
five times the energy of its equivalent weight in TNT.  This is more than
sufficient to detonate magnetic, electro-magnetic, hydraulic, seismic and
infrared antitank and anti-personnel mines, whether of long impulse of
double-impulse fusing.  Fuel air munitions are also a formidable anti-
personnel weapon, producing blast overpressures that casue lethal concussion.
These are the major types in service or in development:

CBU-55/B 500-lb. FUEL AIR MUNITION:
    Three 100-lb. canisters, each with 72 lbs. of fuel, which separate on
release from the launching aircraft and disperse a cloud of fuel 56 feet
across and 9 feet thick, that is detonated by delayed-action fuses 3 inches
above the ground, producing a blast overpressure of 300 pounds per square
inch, sufficient to incapacitate or kill men in bunkers, foxholes and
tunnels.  Total weight: 460 lbs.

CBU-72/B 500-lb. FUEL AIR MUNITION:
    The CBU-55/B fitted with drogue parachutes to retard descent, for
delivery by high-speed aircraft such as the A-4 Skyhawk and A-7 Corsair II.

PAVE PAT II 2,500 lb. FUEL AIR MUNITION:
    A sheet steel container filled with 2,245 lbs. of pressurized propane.
The Pave Pat Blue 72 version is for delivery by the A-1 Skyraider, and the
Pave Pat Blue 76 version is a reinforced container for delivery by high-
speed aircraft such as the F-4 Phantom.

MAD FAE (MASS AIR DELIVERY, FUEL AIR EXPLOSIVE):
    Twelve containers, each of 136 lbs of ethylene oxide or propylene oxide,
attached on a line in single file to the freight hook of the CH-46, CH-53,
or UH-1 helicopter, with stabilizing panels to keep the line from twisting,
and releasing simultaneously or in sequence, dispersing a volatile cloud
over an area of more that 1,000 feet in length.  In development for the
Marine Corps, and first tested at China Lake, California in 1960.

FAESHED (FUEL AIR EXPLOSIVE, HELICOPTER DELIVERED):
    The CBU-44/B modified for use by the U.S. Army in mine clearance
operations.

SLUFAE (SURFACE LAUNCHED UNIT, FUEL AIR EXPLOSIVE):
    A mobile ground unit based on the chassis for the M-113A1 armoured
personnel carrier, mounting a series of 30 launch tubes for the 5"
(121.8 mm) Zuni rocket.  Each rocket is equipped with the Pave Pat
Blue 73 Fuel Air Munition warhead, and has a range of 750 yards (2,250 feet).
Used for mine clearance, the system has a kill radius of 33 feet for pressure-
fuse mines and 112 feet for pull-fused trip-wired mines.

BLU-82/B 15,000-lb. GENERAL PURPOSE BOMB:
    ALso known as the Daisy Cutter or Big Blue 82, thsi is a cast steel
case filled with 12,600 lbs. of DBA-22M, an aqueous mixture of ammonium
nitrate, aluminum powder, and polystyrene soap as a binder.  It produces
an explosion of a size and intensity that observers have described as "the
closest thing to a nuclear bomb" and is used not only for mine clearance
but to create landing pads for helicopters and STOL aircraft.  Producing
blast overpressures in excess of 1,000 pounds per square inch, it literally
shears off trees and other obstructions at ground level.  The only way to
understand the force of concussion it brings to bear on the human body is
to picture a man being hit by a baseball bat at full strength, and then
to imagine him hit by that kind of force at every exposed portion of his
body simultaneously.

Whew!  Kind of makes you want to run right off, rip the propane tank off
of your travel-trailer, and pitch it into a bonfire, doesn't it? :-)

----------------

Notice the weights of the more powerful weapons. They are MANY times the
warhead capacity of a cruise missile. (At least the AGM-86 and -109)

#  "Calling Garland operator 7G," EVE           Email megazone@wpi.wpi.edu    #
# MEGAZONE, aka DAYTONA, aka BRIAN BIKOWICZ     Bitnet Use a gateway. Sorry.  #

nelson@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Ken Nelson) (01/18/91)

From: nelson@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Ken Nelson)

I read similar things (tactical nuke performance and EMP effect) in last week's
NewsWeek magazine.  I also recall that Fuel Air Muntions were used to
good effect in one of the boat/hostage crisis (either the Pueblo or the
Mayeguez, I can't remember which).

I am not a weapons scientist and I don't play one on TV, but I sure do
hope the FAM's are that good.  I would rather see a lot of dead Iraqi's
with nose bleeds than loose a lot of US soldiers rooting Iraqis out of
bunkers using LAW rockets and bravery.

Ken Nelson

malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) (01/18/91)

From: malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy)
In article <1991Jan16.013146.9945@cbnews.att.com> elturner@phoenix.princeton.edu (Edwin L Turner) writes:
>Anyway, since Fuel Air weapons release their energy in an *already* large
>volume, they may well be far more destructive per unit energy than
>conventional explosives.  To be more specific, they might well produce
>a given blast wave over-pressure over a much larger volume than the same
>energy released in a conventional explosion.  In this sense, they might
>indeed be "equivalent" to a small tactical nuclear weapon; in other words,
>they might be equally destructive.

In a book on explosives I flipped through a couple of years ago, there
was a statement that one pint of gasoline, vaporized and ignited, had
the same blast effect as (I'm unsure of the exact number) something on
the close order of twenty _pounds_ of TNT.

Note that this is blast effect, _not_ energy yield; FAEs are much more
effective in generating a blast wave, because the shockwave is
continually being augmented by the detonation of the vaporized fuel at
the surface of the combustion front, whereas a conventional explosive
starts losing blast energy immediately upon expansion after
detonation.

 Sean Malloy                                  | Democracy is four wolves and a
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center | lamb voting on what to have for
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                     | lunch.
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                        |

tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein) (01/18/91)

From: tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein)

In article <1991Jan16.012657.9091@cbnews.att.com>, finn@isi.edu (Greg Finn) writes:

> 	I am not a military weapons analyst.  However, fuel air munitions
> are chemical in nature.  A kiloton charge is 1000 tons of TNT equivalent
> explosive.  Bomb and shell sizes are practically limited to several tons.
> For your hypothetical bomb to exist, a fuel would need an energy to mass
> ratio at least 100 times larger than that for TNT.  So, I doubt it.

True, but isn't it also true that nuclear weapons don't scale well
because the explosion is centralized?  Coulddn't you get the same
destructive power out of an FAE that you could out of a kiloton nuke?

--
He is Bob...eager for fun.         | Tom Weinstein  tom@bears.ucsb.edu
He wears a smile... Everybody run! |                tweinst@polyslo.calpoly.edu

wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin) (01/24/91)

From: wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin)
In article <1991Jan18.003342.8441@cbnews.att.com> malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) writes:

>In a book on explosives I flipped through a couple of years ago, there
>was a statement that one pint of gasoline, vaporized and ignited, had
>the same blast effect as (I'm unsure of the exact number) something on
>the close order of twenty _pounds_ of TNT.

Well, a pint of gas plus the O2 to burn it weigh about 3 lb, so the
discrepancy is smaller than it looks.
--
						   Wm. Randolph Franklin
Internet: wrf@ecse.rpi.edu (or @cs.rpi.edu)    Bitnet: Wrfrankl@Rpitsmts