[sci.military] What is an OV-10 "Bronco" Aircraft ??

sal@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Marcos Salganicoff) (01/21/91)

From: sal@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Marcos Salganicoff)

I read that one these planes was lost over Kuwait. Apparently, it's
used by Marine Corps Aviation groups, but that's about all the "talking
head" said.  Anyone out there care to inform me further?

Thanks,
Marcos Salganicoff

General Robotics and Active Sensing Lab
UPENN
Philadelphia, PA (USA)

mpm@cbnews.att.com (Michael P Millar) (01/22/91)

From: mpm@cbnews.att.com (Michael P Millar)
>From article <1991Jan21.040555.4795@cbnews.att.com>, by sal@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Marcos Salganicoff):
>

> From: sal@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Marcos Salganicoff)
>
> I read that one these planes was lost over Kuwait. Apparently, it's
> used by Marine Corps Aviation groups, but that's about all the "talking
> head" said.  Anyone out there care to inform me further?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcos Salganicoff
>
> General Robotics and Active Sensing Lab
> UPENN
> Philadelphia, PA (USA)

The North American Aviation (Rockwell International) OV-10 is a twin turboprop
Night Observation Aircraft.  Currently the aircraftis in service with  the
USMC and US Airforce.  Originally designed for counter-insurgency operations
and artillery spotting in Vietnam, the aircraft has evolved into a complex
weapons system anbd communications platform.  It operates with a crew
of 2 (pilot and observer) and is capable of laser designating targets for
other aircraft, Infrared target detection, Strike or strike-reconnaissance,
forward air control, and cargo or paratroop operations.

The most capable version of this aircraft is the OV-10D and the OV-10D+.
All OV-10D's will eventually be configured as the D+ variant.  Only the
USMC use this version.  The aircraft have 3 UHF/VHF radios, an HF radio,
and a wide variety of crypto devices.  This gives the crew the ability
to talk to anybody at anytime or serve as relay for ground-based troops.
Defensively they have an array of electronic systems to warn and ward
off missiles fired at them (APR-39, ALQ-144).

Armament-wise, the can carry MK81.82,83's  iron bombs, Sidewinder missiles,
2.75 rockets, 5.0 rockets, a GPU-2 gun pod, and have 4 M-60 machine guns
in sponsons.   For more info see "Amercian Combat Planes" by Ray Wagner.

As a side note, probably one of the most decorated Navy squadrons of hte
Vietnam war was VAL-4 (The Black Ponies).  They flew their missions
with the venerable Bronco.  Although many might consider this aircraft
well-past it's prime, the mission hasn't gone away with high-technology,
and NOBODY has come up with a better way of doing the job the Bronco
crews do.

________________________________-_____________________________________________
I can't speak for myself, let alone AT&T
Mike Millar

jt@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (James Tuller) (01/22/91)

From: jt@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (James Tuller)

The Rockwell International OV-10 is a small (40' span, 41'7" length)
light armored recon aircraft with STOL capability (740' takeoff run).
It is powered by twin turboprops and it first flew in 1965.

There is a pilot and an observer position, plus room for up to 5
passengers.  Most models have 4 7.62mm guns and can carry other
weapons.

There are approximately 250 aircraft in the inventory.

wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (SANDE WALLFESH) (01/22/91)

From: "SANDE WALLFESH" <wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil>

sal@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Marcos Salganicoff) asks:
> Subject: What is  an OV-10 "Bronco" Aircraft ??

{I hope there hasn't been a flood of redundant answers to this one.
... Poor Bill!}

The OV-10A Bronco was the victor in the Navy's LARA (Light Armed
Reconnaissance Aircraft) competition and first flew in the mid 1960s.
Manufactured by Rockwell International, the aircraft is powered by a
pair of turboprop engines. Originally intended for a FAC (forward air
control) role, it accomodates a crew of two, is armed with four machine
guns, and can carry a Sidewinder on each wing.

Currently, the OV-10A is in service with the Air Force and the Marines.
According to the FY91 Defense Authorization Act, however, the Marines
are eventually to replace their Broncos with A-10s.

A variant in use by the Marines is the OV-10D, the Night Observation
Gunship System. Slightly heavier than the OV-10A, this aircraft is
usually fitted with a 20mm gun, a laser designator, and a FLIR sensor.

Sande

Saundra K. Wallfesh      |   "If it's stupid but works, it isn't
Dynamics Research        |    stupid."        -- Amphibious Warfare
wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil   |                       Review, Spring '89

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (01/22/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
An OV-10 Bronco is a light observation/foward air control/attack
aircraft used by the USMC and the USAF.  It can take off from and land
on fields that are just 700 feet long, even at full load.  OV-10's are
occasionaly operated from "Tarawa" class LHA's without catapults or
arresting gear.  Their weapons load is minimal, and is limited to gun
pods, marking rockets and bombs, and Sidewinder missiles for self
defense.  For Special Operation missions, the OV-10 can carry 4
Parachutists in a rear compartment.  It can also be used as an emergency
medical evac plane, carrying two casualties on litters and one
attendant, also in the rear compartment.

Allan
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 3/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or Box 4719, 5125 Margaret Morrison St., Pgh., PA  15213
"Give, expecting nothing thereof."  "Phi Kappa Theta, just the best."
"An unwarlike Marine is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar."
Nothing that I have written is the opinion of anyone but myself.  So there!

john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) (01/23/91)

From: newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III)

> From: sal@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Marcos Salganicoff)

> I read that one these planes [ OV-10 ] was lost over Kuwait. Apparently,
> it's used by Marine Corps Aviation groups, but that's about all the "talking
> head" said.  Anyone out there care to inform me further?

Buildt by North American/Rockwell, the OV-10 is small 2 seat plane powered
by two 1040 HP turboprops.  The plane has a twinboom tail.  They are used
a spotter planes, recon, armed escort for choppers, and light close air
support.  It is armed with either a 20mm cannon turret or 2 7.6mm machine
guns and 3600 pounds on 4 hard points.

I have heard that a second Bronco was lost.  I also saw CNN footage
showing the a Bronco spotting artilary and doing recon in preperation
for a Harrier strike along the Kuwait/Saudi boarder.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (01/24/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: sal@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Marcos Salganicoff)
>
> I read that one these planes was lost over Kuwait. Apparently, it's
> used by Marine Corps Aviation groups, but that's about all the "talking
> head" said.  Anyone out there care to inform me further?

  The OV-10 Bronco is used by the Air Force and Marines as a FAC (Forward
  Air Controller) who directs CAS (close air support) fighters to their
  targets.  They can also be used for low-level observation (Mark I Eyeball).

  I don't know if the Marines/Navy still use the term "ANGLICO" (Air-Navy
  Gunfire Liaison Officer) where OV-10s would assist in calling for
  Naval Gunfire support and/or Marine/Navy fighter support.

  mike schmitt

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (01/24/91)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
In article <1991Jan23.041246.5759@cbnews.att.com>, newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) writes:

>I have heard that a second Bronco was lost.  I also saw CNN footage
>showing the a Bronco spotting artilary and doing recon in preperation
>for a Harrier strike along the Kuwait/Saudi boarder.

I can't help but think someone isn't using common sense in flying the OV-10
close enough to Kuwaiti territory to get shot down...there aren't any trees or
other natural terrain to "hide" in. The Marines should ask for (O)A-10 support
and be done with it.

 Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park
			*  Ray Kaplan was right *