[sci.military] *** Allied Forces deployed in Kuwaiti Theater

kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kevin A. Geiselman) (01/14/91)

From: Kevin A. Geiselman <kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

OTHER MILITARY FORCES IN KUWAITI THEATER OF OPERATIONS
ARGENTINA
---------
100 ground troops

AUSTRALIA
---------
Sydney FFG-7 (US Perry-class)
Brisbane DDG
Westralia (Appleleaf-class) in January
	Ships rotated out, December 1990
	--------------------------------
	Adelade F-01 (US Perry-class)
	Darwin F-04 (US Perry class)
	Success AOR-304 (Durance-class)

BANGLADESH
----------
2,000 Infantry and engineers

BELGIUM
-------
Iris M-920 (tripartite minehunter/sweeper)
Myosotis M-922 (tripartite minehunter/sweeper)
Zinnia A-961 (cmd & logistic support)
1 sqn (18 ac) F-16 to Turkey

BULGARIA
--------
	Pledged or en route
	-------------------
	400 ground troops

CANADA
------
Brisbane DDG (mod US Adams-class)
Adelaide FFG
+ supply ship
450 troops
1 ftr/atk sqn with 12 CF-18 (409th sqn 'Nighthawks')
	Rotated out, December 1990
	--------------------------
	Athabaskan DDH-282 (Iroqouis-class)
	Terra Nova DD-259 (Improved Restigouche-class)
	Protecteur AOR-509

CZECHOSLOVAKIA
--------------
200 Chemical Warfare troops

DENMARK
-------
Olfert Fischer F-355 (Niels Juel-class)

EGYPT
-----
20,000 ground troops
500 ground troops in U.A.E

FRANCE
------
Clemenceau R-98 (Clemenceau-class)
	30 Gazelle hel
	10 Puma hel
Colbert C-611
Dupleix D-641 (Georges Leygues-class)
Duquesne D-603 (Suffren-class)
Montcalm D-642 (Type C 70)
Var A-608 (Durance-class)
1 co paratroops (180 soldiers) in United Arab Emirates
6 Gazelle and Puma hel
6th Light Armored
4,000 man Rapid Action Force
13,000 troops including Foreign Legion
4 sqn ftr and atk ac

GERMANY
-------
5 minesweepers in Eastern Mediterranean
1 sqn (18 ac) Alpha of Jagdbombergschwader 42 (Oldenburg AB) to Turkey

GREAT BRITAIN
-------------
York D-98 (Sheffield-class)
Battleaxe F-89 (Broadsword-class)
Jupiter F-60 (Leander-class)
Cardif
Orangeleaf A-110 (Appleleaf-class)
3 Minesweapers in Eastern Mediterranean
3 Nimrod in Oman
2 sqn Tornado-F3
2 sqn Jaguar in Oman
1 sqn Jaguar in Bahrain
7th Armored Brigade w/ 6k-8k troops and 120 Challenger tanks
35,000 Troops and sailors total

The British have no MBT's remaining in England. All have been deployed.

GREECE
------
Limnos F-451 (Netherlands Kortenaer-class)

GULF COOPERATION COUNCIL (Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait)
------------------------
150,000 troops total
10,000 troop Rapid Deployment Force
330 ac of various types
7,000 Kuwaiti troops

HONDURAS
--------
150 troops

IRAQ
----
280,000 troops in Kuwait
additional 5 div (250,000 troops) Republican Guard to Kuwait
230,000 troops in S. Iraq
	including Republican Guard div w/ 1,800 tanks
50,000 troops in Baghdad
8 div in N. Iraq (Turkish border)

These numbers represent estimated deployment of Iraqi troops and do not
represent the entirety of Iraqi forces.

ITALY
-----
Libeccio F-572 (Maestrale-class)
Orsa F-567 (Lupo-class)
Stromboli A-5327
Minerva (corvette) in Eastern Med
Stinge (corvette) in Eastern Med
1 sqn (6 ac) Tornado to Turkey

MOROCCO
-------
1,200 ground troops
500 ground troops in U.A.E.

NETHERLANDS
-----------
Pieter Florisz FF (Kortenaer-class)
Witte de With DDG (Jacob van Heemskerck-class)
Zuiderkruis A-832 (Poolster-class fast CS)
1 sqn F-16

NIGER
-----
480 troops

NORWAY
------
Andenes W-322 (CG Nordkapp-class)

PAKISTAN
--------
8,000 ground troops
2,000 ground troops in U.A.E.
6,000 advisors in Saudi Arabia and U.A.E.

POLAND
------
2 support ships
medical personel

PORTUGAL
--------
1 naval support ship

SOVIET UNION
------------
Admiral Tributs DD (Udaloy-class)
	2x4 SS-N-14 SUGW, 8x1 SA-N-9, 2x12 ASW RL, 8x533mm TT, 2 Ka-27 hel;
	plus 2x100mm guns
another ASW ship

SENEGAL
------
500 troops

SPAIN
-----
Santa Maria FF in Gulf of Oman
Cazadora F-35 (Type F-30) in S. Red Sea
Descubierta F-31 (Type F-30) is S. Red Sea

SYRIA
-----
1 armored division
special forces troops
19,000 troops total

grayt@uunet.UU.NET (Tom Gray) (01/16/91)

From: mitel!Software!grayt@uunet.UU.NET (Tom Gray)

Canada
>------
>450 troops
>1 ftr/atk sqn with 12 CF-18 (409th sqn 'Nighthawks')
>	Rotated out, December 1990
>	--------------------------
>	Athabaskan DDH-282 (Iroqouis-class)
>	Terra Nova DD-259 (Improved Restigouche-class)
>	Protecteur AOR-509

The Canadian ships are still in the gulf. The crews are being
rotated back to Canada. There are ships undergoing training
in Canada however in preparation for the rotation of the
existing force.

I understood that there were currently 18 CF18's in Qatar.
Additionally, there are 6 more CF18's being assigned to the
force.

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (01/24/91)

From: davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown)

| From: Kevin A. Geiselman <kagst@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

| OTHER MILITARY FORCES IN KUWAITI THEATER OF OPERATIONS
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| CANADA
| ------
| Brisbane DDG (mod US Adams-class)
| Adelaide FFG
| + supply ship
| 450 troops
| 1 ftr/atk sqn with 12 CF-18 (409th sqn 'Nighthawks')
| 	Rotated out, December 1990
| 	--------------------------
| 	Athabaskan DDH-282 (Iroqouis-class)
| 	Terra Nova DD-259 (Improved Restigouche-class)
| 	Protecteur AOR-509

  Er, I think that was a typo from the Australia posting:  I doubt we have
Brisbane/Adelaide. Crews are now rotating on the Athabaskan, Terra Nova (our
oldest destroyer) and Protectuer, but the ships remain in the Gulf.

  News reports now have the naval forces on escort duty, with our senior naval
officer commanding the portion of the multinational force charged with
escoring vessels into and out of the gulf (not with the operational escorts
of the fleets, you understand)

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave