[sci.military] How do Smart Bombs Work?

jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson) (01/19/91)

From: jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson)

How many types of smart bomb are there? Is it possible for bombs dropped
from high altitude to change course on the way down based on some kind
of internal recognition, e.g. they locate tank silhouettes, etc?

If not, I don't understand how the raids on Baghdad, which were said to
be flown "above the range of flak", could be classed as precision.

Dick Jackson

stevel%u2.calgary.hp.com%hpcal@uunet.UU.NET (Steve LaCourse) (01/23/91)

From: stevel%u2.calgary.hp.com%hpcal@uunet.UU.NET (Steve LaCourse)
jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson) writes:

>How many types of smart bomb are there? Is it possible for bombs dropped
>from high altitude to change course on the way down based on some kind
>of internal recognition, e.g. they locate tank silhouettes, etc?

>If not, I don't understand how the raids on Baghdad, which were said to
>be flown "above the range of flak", could be classed as precision.

>Dick Jackson

One example is a laser guided bomb where the aircraft remains high over
the target after dropping the bomb and  maintains a laser "lock" on the
target which the bomb follows during descent. This way, an aircraft (say
B-52) can fly high above flak range but with the high help of high-res
optics/radar, guide the "smart-bomb" directly on target (I think this
was used on the first day of attack on the Iraqi Defense Building - I
saw the pictures on TV which showed a close-up of the building from an
obviously high altitude and a cross-hair on the target and
then......BOOM!)

Steve LaCourse
stevel@hpcpdcz.calgary.hp.com

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (01/24/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))
In article <1991Jan19.042546.5785@cbnews.att.com> jackson@ttidcc.tti.com (Dick Jackson) writes:
> How many types of smart bomb are there?

There are many types of smart bombs, differing in seeker types and
warhead. The US has some purpose-built weapons and also modular kits
that can be attached to normal bombs (eg Mk84 2000 lb low drag general
purpose bomb). There are also some other weapons which are technically
"missiles", but are basically a smart bomb with a small rocket motor
attached (eg AGM-130A and AGM-123 Skipper II).

The main seeker types are TV guided, laser guided, and imaging
infrared. A TV guided weapon requires a two way command/data link to
the weapon. The operator provides the guidance based on an TV image
transmitted from the weapon. A laser guided weapon requires some
platform (not necessarily the launch platform) to illuminate the
target after launch. Imaging infrared weapons lock on to infrared
target image and self-guide after launch, making them "fire & forget".
In theory, you ought to be able to do the same with TV images, but it
seems the self-guiding IR weapons are more popular and more
successful.

The search/targeting systems on board aircraft often have low-light
and infrared capability. Sometimes that is related to guiding the
weapons and sometimes it is not. For example, PAVE TACK (on F-111)
targeting system locks onto the image of the target in order to keep
the laser on target. But the bombs themselves used with PAVE TACK are
using the reflected laser light not the image that you see on the
news.

In the case of an imaging infrared version of the Maverick missile,
the missile is self-guided. Any video tape of such an attack is for
assessing accuracy of the attack and not for guiding the missile itself.

The adjective "smart" has been applied rather loosely by the media (eg
the recent Nova program). I have seen air-to-air missiles, wire-guided
antitank missiles, active radar homing antiship missiles, TERCOM
cruise missiles, cruise missiles which use GPS for navigation and
loitering anti-radiation missiles also described as "smart". While
these guidance methods are certainly sophisticated, I think "smart" in
military usage is generally more limited for historical reasons.
Another term with wider applicability is "precision-guided munition".

> Is it possible for bombs dropped from high altitude to change course
> on the way down based on some kind of internal recognition, e.g.
> they locate tank silhouettes, etc?

These type of weapons are in various stages of development. Some use
millimeter wave guidance, fancy algorithms and maybe neural nets to
recognize target shapes. However, as far as I know, none have yet been
deployed.

-ted

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273