[sci.military] Excerpts from bit.listserv.virus-l

neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (01/22/91)

From: Christopher Neufeld <neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca>

	   Here are some excerpts from bit.listserv.virus-l which you might find
	interesting.

	Brutally edited from the digest. My apologies to Klaus Brunnstein
    and Rich Osman if the meaning is distorted in my editing of their
    words. The articles are archived for those people who want to read
    the original texts.

	VIRUS-L Digest   Tuesday, 15 Jan 1991    Volume 4 : Issue 10

	Date:    15 Jan 91 11:23:00 +0100
	>From:    Klaus Brunnstein <brunnstein@rz.informatik.uni-hamburg.dbp.de>
	Subject: (No) Viruses in Irak's EXOCET?

	French press and media reported in some details that computer
	viruses could be planted, either in advance or afterwards, in
	French  EXOCET rockets  to  influence  their performance.
	Following a report of  the German Press Agency (dpa), German
	media (on Jan.11) were full of reports about "viruses in
	Hussein's rockets".  According to  dpa, (unnamed) French
	computer scientists said:

	   - manufacturers of war material usually implant viruses
	     in exported war electronics to provoke, after some time,
	     faults and  "profitable  repair work";

	   - though Iraqi weapon computers are "hermetically cut-off
	     from the outside world", computer viruses could be implanted
	     e.g. via "weather data";

	   - moreover, the built-in computers contain programs which may
	     be triggered remotely;  the control system of EXOCET
	     rockets could be switched off from French ships;

	As usual in events related to malicious code,  truth is mixed  up
	with misunderstandings, errors and impossibilities:

	   - the implementation of weapon software makes self-reproducing
	     programs (=viruses) impossible;  moreover,   it is very  im-
	     probable, that such systems may be (re-)programmed remotely;

	   - on  the other hand,  other "malicious  code"  may well be
	     present in weapon computers;  at least in the  test phase,
	     rockets  can  be  destroyed by  triggering  a  self-
	     destruct system remotely;  because of the rule "never
	     change a running program", such "backdoors" could survive
	     the test version;

	Some interesting questions following from such "possibilities":

	   - May Irak detect, influence or adapt such weapon software?

	   - If French EXOCETs are remotely controllable:  why did
	     the  French  not warn their "friends"  who  suffered  severe
	     losses to EXOCETS? Have they at least now warned and
	     properly equipped their allies in the Arabian desert?

	Postscriptum:  computer "viruses" may nevertheless play a role in
	"Operation Desert Shield".  There are (yet unconfirmed) news that
	several  thousands  PCs (5000?) have been  infected  by  ordinary
	"computer viruses".

	------------------------------

	VIRUS-L Digest   Wednesday, 16 Jan 1991    Volume 4 : Issue 11

	Date:    Tue, 15 Jan 91 09:06:43 -0600
	Subject: Re: (No) Viruses in Irak's EXOCET?

	Klaus Brunnstein <brunnstein@rz.informatik.uni-hamburg.dbp.de> writes:

	 >    - manufacturers of war material  usually  implant viruses

	This is not very likely.  Most modern defen(s|c)e contracts provide
	reliability targets which the contractor must warrant, or include
	maintenance to meet the goals.

	 >    - computer viruses could be implanted e.g. via "weather data"

	This is entirely concievable, but fairly unlikely.  The coordination
	required to pull this off would be immense.

	 >    - moreover,  the built-in computers contain programs which may
	 >      be triggered remotely;

	Same comment as previous paragraph.

	 >    - the implementation of weapon software makes self-reproducing
	 >      programs (=viruses) impossible;  moreover,   it is very  im-
	 >      probable, that such systems may be (re-)programmed remotely;

	Not entirely correct.  Weapons software is often incredibly complex.
	It also often loadable.  I assume that you are assuming that it is
	ROM'd which is not neccessarily correct in newer, more complex sys-
	tems.  The code is usually handled by fairly physically secure means,
	but anything is possible.

	 >    - on  the other hand,  other "malicious  code"  may well be
	 >      present in weapon computers; [destruct etc.]

	The self-destruct systems are usually seperate, independent systems,
	developed to be reliable, and, hence, simple.  They are not present in
	production weapons.  Maintenance modes/codes might fall into this
	category, but almost always require a hardware action to enable them
	(switch closure, special connector, etc.) for this very reason.

    [ But the two Patriot missiles which were fired accidentally last
      week were both aborted from the ground    - Christopher          ]

	 >    - French warships might remotely influence the
	 >      EXOCET  control  systems

	All within the realm of possibility, but logistically unlikely.  More
	likely is that the French know well the weaknesses of the sensor sys-
	tems on their weapons, and can effectively exploit them. Ditto the
	British, US, and others.

	 >    - If French EXOCET rockets are remotely controllable:  why did
	 >      the  French  not warn their "friends"  who  suffered  severe
	 >      losses from EXOCETs?

	I we assume (dangerous) that the premise is correct, the French could
	not predict the USS Stark incident. Further there is a risk/return
	issue.  To save British ships, the (postulated) secret would have to
	spread further, AND would eliminate the weapon as an option should
	Britain and France go head to head.  Conservative military thinkers
	always strive to preserve options.

	Oz (Rich Osman, WB0HUQ)            INTERNET: Oz@SwRI.edu
	(512) 522-5050 (w); (512) 699-1302 (h, merciless machine)
	(512) 522-2572 (just the fax)

	------------------------------

	--- End Excerpted Articles ---

	 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | "Shtarker! Zis is KAOS!
	 neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | Vee do not 'yippee yo
	 cneufeld@{pnet91,pro-cco}.cts.com               | kye aye' here!"
	 "Don't edit reality for the sake of simplicity" |      Siegfried of KAOS

broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (01/23/91)

From: broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl)
In article <1991Jan22.022646.22830@cbnews.att.com> neufeld@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
>	French press and media reported in some details that computer
>	viruses could be planted, either in advance or afterwards, in
>	French  EXOCET rockets  to  influence  their performance.

This is something I was wondering about a few weeks back.  If I were selling
weapons to a country that might turn around and use them against me, I'd
program in an override.  I wouldn't let it be generally known, of course.
Probably a hook somewhere in the ROM that lets you remotely program it, to
maintain generality.
--
	Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
	Mail: broehl@sunee.waterloo.edu OR broehl@sunee.UWaterloo.ca

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (01/25/91)

From: smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin)

In article <1991Jan23.035257.3832@cbnews.att.com>, broehl@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) writes:

> This is something I was wondering about a few weeks back.  If I were selling
> weapons to a country that might turn around and use them against me, I'd
> program in an override.  I wouldn't let it be generally known, of course.
> Probably a hook somewhere in the ROM that lets you remotely program it, to
> maintain generality.

I tend not to believe in such things, at least as a matter of policy.
You can't assume perfect security on the development project, and that's
the sort of thing you *can't* let leak -- after all, if you're selling
weapons to a country, it's generally because they may be fighting someone
else you like even less.

On the other hand, the British reportedly sold lots of war-surplus Enigmas
to their former colonies, to secure their diplomatic correspondence...