[sci.military] Air-to-Air Missile Superiority

mst@relay.EU.net (Markus Stumptner) (01/25/91)

From: vexpert!mst@relay.EU.net (Markus Stumptner)

>From article <1991Jan22.014423.18902@cbnews.att.com>, by kjn@hrmso.att.com (Kenneth J Novak):
>> From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif)
>> My only reasoning is that the F-14 is the only jet fighter that is
>> able to carry the Phoenix missiles with their range over 100 miles,
>
> This is a MAJOR factor in A-A combat.
>
>> while the F-15 is only equipped with Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles,
>> which in my opinion, are inferior to the Phoenix missiles.

I once read an article in an aviation magazine on US Air Force weapons
procurement policy (I can try to find the reference if people are
interested, it was in '89 or '90) which claimed that in all of
recorded air combat history, there were only four confirmed
radar-guided AA missile kills beyond visual range.  All of these
situations were set up specifically to demonstrate that capability,
two by the US in Vietnam, and two by the Israelis at US behest during
the Yom Kippur War.

The article also mentioned that missiles with semiactive radar
guidance are much more expensive that anti-radar missiles or
heat-seekers (a HARM Air-to-Surface missile comes in at about $270,000
and a Phoenix at $800,000, as I heard sometime during the last week. I
do not know the exact price of Sidewinders or Sparrows, but the
relationship is similar).

At the same time, the kill ratio of Sidewinders in combat was
drastically better than that of Sparrows, in Vietnam and afterwards
(I'm sure the Sparrows have improved since then, but so have the
Sidewinders).  Allegedly, F-4 pilots in Vietnam took to firing whole
Sparrow salvos at a single target to have a fair chance of scoring a
hit.

The article went on to mention that Sidewinder production had been
terminated because the money was needed to fund the cost overruns of
the development program for the new radar-guided AMRAAM missile (I
think that was the name).  I don't know the current status of that
program or of Sidewinder production.  Perhaps someone could fill these
gaps.

Markus Stumptner                                mst@vexpert.dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Technical University of Vienna                  vexpert!mst@uunet.uu.net
Paniglg. 16, A-1040 Vienna, Austria             ...mcsun!vexpert!mst