[sci.military] V1s and V2s, Deja Vu

hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo) (01/24/91)

From: hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo)
It occurred to me the other day, while watching the war news, that
the Tomahawk is really the direct decendent of the V1. The SCUDS
are nothing more than V2. Amazingly, the SCUDS are actually about as
accurate as their predecessor. It still astounds me that the Germans
had begun to dabble in a form of robot warefare that would not be
waged until the 90s. The more things change, the more they stay the
same.

                                             Larry Mayo

dps@otter.hpl.hp.com (Duncan Smith) (01/25/91)

From: dps@otter.hpl.hp.com (Duncan Smith)

/ otter:sci.military / hhm@ihlpy.att.com (Herschel H Mayo) /  4:40 am  Jan 24, 1991 /

>accurate as their predecessor. It still astounds me that the Germans
>had begun to dabble in a form of robot warefare that would not be
              ^^^^^^
>waged until the 90s.
 ^^^^^

FYI, the Germans did a sight more than `dabble' with it in the 40s -
they `waged' it against Britain, causing many hundreds of civilian
deaths in 1944.

I don't think you should describe the act of using terror weapons
against a civilian population as if it was just a harmless, eccentric
pursuit with no consequences.

Duncan