[sci.military] B-52/Tanker movement noted?

harryo@ihlpa.att.com (Harold R Holm) (01/16/91)

From: harryo@ihlpa.att.com (Harold R Holm)
Has anyone seen or heard of in the open press (or perchance thru
personal observation if possible) about any increased activity
by SAC B-52/B-1 and refuelling tanker activity in the continental
US since late last week?   I would expect that the Pentagon would
want to augment what is already deployed to Diego Garcia and other
forward bases.  Any mass surge in movement would indicate the
strike date to be close.  Seems that CNN, at least, would be on top
of this.
                                            H.R. Holm

Brian.Wbst311@xerox.com (01/17/91)

From: Brian.Wbst311@xerox.com
Some months ago,  during discussion of the possible use of B52's in the middle
east,  there was a comment on this newsgroup that  B1's would be reserved for
their strategic function.   Harold Holm's note is the first mention of  B1's  I
have noticed since.   I  was at the 50th. anniversary BoB airshow at RAF
Finningley,  England,  last September 22nd.,  and there was one interesting
change in plan.   It was announced in advance that due to the Iraqi situation,
the  B1 which had been scheduled for the static display would not be there.

I would expect that they,  and the B52's,  would be flown from secure bases
which are out of range of Iraqi aircraft,  but are reasonably close to the
targets,  and have been stockpiled with bombs.   Perhaps Cyprus or Italy,  or
England.   Remembering the problems with over-flight arrangements when bombing
Libya,   I hope that this time,  they could fly via Turkey,  Saudi Arabia and
Egypt.

On another topic,   what US forces are left in Europe?    Considering recent
events in the USSR,   I hope someone in Washington is considering how soon an
Arab/UN peacekeeping force could take over in Iraq,  and the Nato forces return
to their normal duty stations!

Brian Evans,
Xerox Corp.,  Rochester,  N.Y.

hight@erg.sri.com (John Hight) (01/19/91)

From: hight@erg.sri.com (John Hight)
In article <1991Jan17.051831.26926@cbnews.att.com> Brian.Wbst311@xerox.com writes:
>I would expect that they,  and the B52's,  would be flown from secure bases
>which are out of range of Iraqi aircraft,  but are reasonably close to the
>targets,  and have been stockpiled with bombs.   Perhaps Cyprus or Italy,  or
>England....

At the risk of someone jumping on me for this off-the-top-of-my-head
remark, I was under the impression that Diego Garcia was in range and
was indeed being used.
--
John Hight, SRI International	hight@sri.com	415-859-4279

smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan) (01/27/91)

From: smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan)
In article hight@erg.sri.com (John Hight) writes...
/
/At the risk of someone jumping on me for this off-the-top-of-my-head
/remark, I was under the impression that Diego Garcia was in range and
/was indeed being used.

The news is that the B52's were moved to an unspecified base that would
be closer to the theater of operations.  I suspect this was done to increase
the sortie rate necessary to pound the Republican Guard as often is possible.