[sci.military] Tomahawk launch

Allyn@uunet.UU.NET (01/23/91)

From: <ames!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!Allyn@uunet.UU.NET>
I've been watching footage of Tomahawks being launched from the
Wisconsin.  I notice that initially when the missile leaves the
launcher it sort of does a "tail slide" towards the vertical.

Anyone know the reason for this behavior?

Allyn Lai
allyn@cup.portal.com

zimerman@phoenix.princeton.edu (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (01/24/91)

From: zimerman@phoenix.princeton.edu (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman)

In article <1991Jan23.034017.1996@cbnews.att.com> ames!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!Allyn@uunet.UU.NET writes:
>I've been watching footage of Tomahawks being launched from the
>Wisconsin.  I notice that initially when the missile leaves the
>launcher it sort of does a "tail slide" towards the vertical.
>Anyone know the reason for this behavior?

I would speculate that since the missile is quite heavy, and its wings
are not yet deployed at launch, the booster isn't powerful enough to
provide acceleration needed to counteract gravity while still at launch
angle...I don't know if that made sense, let me try again.  It seems
that it is done to support the missile during the first few seconds of
launch, when it is travelling slowly and the wings aren't out.  Maybe
the CG of the missile is a little far forward for a flatter launch?

___________           |-In Washington, undercover DEA agents trick mayor
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

mr10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Reed) (01/25/91)

From: Michael Reed <mr10+@andrew.cmu.edu>
I'm pretty sure the reason for this is that the missile has not built
up any appreciable velocity for a few seconds.  It has to stay in the
air, so the angle of thrust for the first seconds are more vertical.
As more horizontal speed is built up, the missile can tilt, as fins
have more effect the faster the missile goes.

Lestrade
"Do not come to this University."
mr10+@andrew.cmu.edu
R746MR10@VB.CC.CMU.EDU

martin%nosun.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Martin Golding) (01/27/91)

From: Martin Golding <adpplz!pdxgate!martin%nosun.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>

In <1991Jan23.034017.1996@cbnews.att.com> ames!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!Allyn@uunet.UU.NET writes:

|I've been watching footage of Tomahawks being launched from the
|Wisconsin.  I notice that initially when the missile leaves the
|launcher it sort of does a "tail slide" towards the vertical.

|Anyone know the reason for this behavior?

Look close: no wings!