[sci.military] Sand & Jet engine

jae@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (Jae Hoon Lee) (01/25/91)

From: jae@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (Jae Hoon Lee)

I saw from TV that the air filters for the M-1 tanks have to be cleaned
everyday because of sand.  Then, in case of jet fighters, wouldn't there be
problems/damages to the jet engine?

Jaehoon
--
Jae@cs.Buffalo.EDU             \\//  Yes, I am a vi user.  But, I know how
Jae%cs.Buffalo.EDU@ubvm.BITnet  XX   to get out of emacs when necessary.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: jae@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (Jae Hoon Lee)
>I saw from TV that the air filters for the M-1 tanks have to be cleaned
>everyday because of sand.  Then, in case of jet fighters, wouldn't there be
>problems/damages to the jet engine?

Yes.  The Saudi air force's Tornados have special sand-resistant turbine
blades, and there was talk of doing a hasty retrofit of same to the RAF
Tornados deployed to the Gulf.  Don't know whether it was done.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry