[sci.military] Iraqui divisions

plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) (01/21/91)

From: plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown)

Does anybody out there know the basic composition of Iraqui divisions?
What I am looking for, ideally, is the compostion of the brigades in the
Iraqi army.  Also, how many of each type of brigade are in a given type
of division.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack Brown
aka plague@milton.u.washington.edu

smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan) (01/27/91)

From: smpod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (Stefan)
In article plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) writes...
>Does anybody out there know the basic composition of Iraqui divisions?
>What I am looking for, ideally, is the compostion of the brigades in the
>Iraqi army.

Here is a very rough outline:(taken from S&T 139)

Iraq uses a Russian type unit organization with 11-13,000 men per division.
Most divisions have 12-16 ground combat battalions. Iraqi infantry divisions
have 9 infantry battalions and one or more tank battalions. Tanks battalions
have 35-44 tanks each. There are 11 armour and mechanized divisions with about
80 tank battalions.  Each division has from 40-100 artillery pieces.