[sci.military] Runway Munitions

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (01/24/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))
In article <1991Jan23.040415.5172@cbnews.att.com> moudgill@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Mayan Moudgill) writes:
>Runway Penetration Bombs:
>	Does the American arsenal have any? I think that there was
>	a time when the only NATO anti-runway bomb was the Durandals
>	(I _think_) which the tornadoes could carry. I'm kinda wondering,
>	since the news reports seem to indicate that the tornadoes
>	were operating against runways.

At least one CENTCOM briefing indicated that the Tornadoes were using
JP233 anti-runway weapons. The following description is based on the
book: "Air Battle Over Central Europe". On the Tornado, the JP233 is
carried in two long pods. Each pod contains 30 anti-runway munitions
and 215 small mines. As each 57 lb. tube-shaped anti-runway munition
is ejected, it deploys a parachute to orient the weapon. When it
strikes the ground (hopefully a runway), a charge goes off injecting a
bomb into the ground. This secondary charge then goes off creating a
hollow cavity with a small hole on top and a heaved/cracked zone
surrounding the hole. This type of damage is supposed to be much
harder to repair than normal craters in runways. The mines are
scattered about to meant to make it more hazardous for repair crews.
Some recent media reports indicated the mines may be on a time delay.

-ted

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273

pkh@cbnewsi.att.com (Kenneth Novak) (01/27/91)

From: pkh@cbnewsi.att.com (Kenneth Novak)
> The mines are scattered about to meant to make it more hazardous for
> repair crews.  Some recent media reports indicated the mines may be
> on a time delay.

Some are also motion detonated.  On impact they activate.  When the
bomblet comes to rest the detonator arms.  Move it ever-so-slightly
and you're in for a BIG surprise.