[sci.military] Winter War aircraft Re: Mig-29 operated by Iraq

s37755c@taltta.hut.fi (Jochen Grandell) (01/23/91)

From: s37755c@taltta.hut.fi (Jochen Grandell)
In article <1991Jan22.015450.20374@cbnews.att.com> fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:

>During the Winter War, the Finns *were* flying modern (well, the Brewster
>Buffalo was fairly modern) monoplanes against Russian biplanes such as the
>Tchaika.

	I have some statistics about the equipment of the Finnish Airforce
	in the beginning of the Winter war and then compared to the situation
	after the last day of the war.

	Aircraft type:		number 1.12.1939	number 15.3.1940
	Bristol Bulldog			10			-
	Fokker D XXI			36			25
	Gloster Gladiator		-			13
	Fiat G 50			-			23
	Morane Saulnier-409		-			23
	Brewster-239			-			6
	Hawker Hurricane		-			10
	Blackburn Ripon			15			6
	Junkers				7			3
	Fokker C V E (D)		7 			6
	Fokker C X			29			16
	Bristol Blenheim		16			19

	So those Brewster Buffalos did we have 0 when the war broke out and
	managed to buy some (6) before peace. Too pity they just arrived
	to Finland after the war so we didn't have much use of them. The
	Hurricanes from Britain also reached us only one week before peace.
	As I'm not an expert on warplanes from WWII , I must admit that I
	don't know anything about most of those planes listed above.

	What comes to casualties, here are some figures:

	Finland lost totally destroyed  62  airplanes
		     damaged 		36

	USSR  lost   totally destroyed  509 airplanes
	             damaged(or destr.) 451
	also the Swedish volunteer Regiment shot down 12 soviet planes.

	Even if the difference between soviet vs. Finnish casualties is
	big, they are known to be quite accurate. Even the Soviet side
	has more or less approved these figures. At least it's not like
	the Iraqi propaganda;)

	If someone is interested I could post a longer article about the
	Finnish Airforce and its function during the Winter War.

	Jochen

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///s37755c@taltta.hut.fi/////////////      blaa blaa     //////////////////////
///jochen@niksula.hut.fi/////////////         etc.       //////////////////////
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

karppine@tele.nokia.fi (Veikko Karppinen) (01/27/91)

From: karppine@tele.nokia.fi (Veikko Karppinen)

In article <1991Jan23.035641.4362@cbnews.att.com> s37755c@taltta.hut.fi
(Jochen Grandell) writes:

>From: s37755c@taltta.hut.fi (Jochen Grandell)
>In article <1991Jan22.015450.20374@cbnews.att.com> fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM
(Steve Hix) writes:

>>During the Winter War, the Finns *were* flying modern (well, the Brewster
>>Buffalo was fairly modern) monoplanes against Russian biplanes such as the
>>Tchaika.
>
>	I have some statistics about the equipment of the Finnish Airforce
>	in the beginning of the Winter war and then compared to the situation
>	after the last day of the war.
>
>	Aircraft type:		number 1.12.1939	number 15.3.1940
>	----------------------------------------------------------------
> [table of the planes used by the FAF and the rest of the article removed]

    A couple of notes on the Finnish Air Force in the Winter War and
    the monoplane vs. biplane question raised earlier.

    The fighter types actually used in combat by the FAF were mostly
    outdated: in the beginning of the war (and throughout it) the main
    fighter type used was Fokker D.XXI (monoplane with fixed undercarriage,
    36 planes). Also biplanes were used: the 10 Bristol Bulldog IVAs
    mentioned by Jochen.

    The number of biplanes even grew in January when the FAF was joined by
    Swedish volunteers flying 12 Gloster Gladiator Is and the monoplane
    Fokkers were outnumbered in the FAF during January and February when
    30 Gladiator II planes arrived from the UK. The Gladiators took quite
    a bit of beating: in February out of the 22 planes lost in air combat
    12 were Gladiators.

    Out of the about 200 Soviet planes shot down during the war in air combat
    about 50 were shot by Bulldog and Gladiator pilots. And out of the 10
    Winter War aces in the FAF two flew the Gladiator, the number two of those
    10, Oiva Tuominen shot for example a couple of I-16 Ratas, which can be
    considered far more modern than the Gladiator.

    The Fiat G.50 and Morane-Saulnier Ms 406 planes received by the FAF
    during February and March were not used extensively, because they had
    serious teething problems because of the extremely cold winter weather
    (particularly the Fiats) and it took some time to train the pilots to
    fly them, so they didn't have an important role in this war. (These
    planes were used in the Continuation War and eg. Oiva Tuominen mentioned
    above shot down 23 planes flying the Fiat.)

    BTW, for those interested in the Winter War air activities there is a
    good book on the subject: 'Ilmavoimat Talvisodassa, The Finnish Air Force
    in the Winter War` by Kalevi Keskinen and Kari Stenman (published in
    1989 by Tietoteos, ISBN 951-9035-92-3). It is mainly a picture book and
    has a day by day coverage of the activities - this unfortunately only in
    Finnish but it includes a summary in English.

    Veikko Karppinen                  Nokia Telecommunications
      karppine@tele.nokia.fi          P.O. Box 33, SF-02601 Espoo, Finland