[sci.military] Re Soviet Helicopter

pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com (LAY ON GROUND. LIGHT FUZE. 25-Jan-1991 1857) (01/27/91)

From: "LAY ON GROUND. LIGHT FUZE.  25-Jan-1991 1857" <pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com>
Dan N Wiebe writes, in part:
Concerning tail rotors vs twin main rotors"
>Dono--except that if you don't have it you can't get it shot out.
	Dunno either, but the weight of a gearbox & shaft (may be a wash for
	the weight of the other main rotor).  No tail rotor to walk into.

>	I understand basically how an EWR for radar would work; obviously,
>the signals emitted for different purposes would have different
>characteristics.  But how does the IR thingy work?
[...]
>	My roommate used to fly as an observer for scouts for AH-1 Cobra
>attack choppers in the National Guard, and he says that these IR warning
>devices really do exist, and are not merely an invention of Electronic Arts.
	hmmmm  Game writers license?  Full passive IR should be undetectable.
	but it doesn't do ranging.  Laser designators, or Laser-radar (Are
	there any field, yet?) would be detectable.  Note that many of these
	ARE IR.  IR receivers are standard in (some) tanks, to warn of being
	"designated".

Thanks
dave pierson			Opinions are my own, facts the best i can
Digital Equipment Corporation 	manage...