[sci.military] Gulf - Canadian forces?

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (01/18/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

  This is a question for David Collier-Brown, Ontario, Canada:

  Do you know if any Canadian troops have been or will be deployed to
  the gulf?

  I remember the 4th Canadian Mechanized Brigade-Group (CMBG) in Lahr,
  Germany trained closely with the U.S. VII Corps.  Now that the VII Corps
  and three U.S. units from Germany are in Saudi Arabia - it would be logical
  for the 4th CMBG to deploy with them -- if anyone from Canada is going....
  I remember that ther tank battalion (Royal Canadian Dragoons) had
  the German Leopard II.....and were very, very good.  And, one of the
  G3 staff officers at VII Corps headquarters was a Canadian Lieutenant
  Colonel (not a liaison officer but 'assigned').

  mike schmitt

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)
>  This is a question for David Collier-Brown, Ontario, Canada:
>  Do you know if any Canadian troops have been or will be deployed to
>  the gulf?

Since Dave hasn't responded, I'll give it a try...

As of now, there are no Canadian ground forces in the Gulf.  There are two
Canadian destroyers and a supply ship in the area, and a squadron and a half
of CF-18s plus their support units.  The fighters were originally nominally
for air cover of the ships, but they have been made available for anything
the allied command wants to use them for, including offensive missions.

Last I heard, a mobile hospital with its personnel was scheduled to be sent,
but that was before the shooting started and I don't know the current status
of that plan.
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (01/19/91)

From: davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown)

bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:
|   Do you know if any Canadian troops have been or will be deployed to
|   the gulf?

  At the moment, there is no public plan to send ground troops to the gulf,
save for the field hospital and some air force troops who provide security
for our aircraft.
  Politically, we've chosen to specialize in (U.N.) peacekeeping forces and
a NATO presence, and stopped there.  Our presence in the gulf is our first
war-fighting posting since Korea, and is again a U.N. undertaking.

  The government (ie, the cabinet) does reserve the right to send troops, and
may re-summon parliament for (retrospective) approval if it sees fit do do
so.

|   I remember the 4th Canadian Mechanized Brigade-Group (CMBG) in Lahr,
|   Germany trained closely with the U.S. VII Corps.  Now that the VII Corps
|   and three U.S. units from Germany are in Saudi Arabia - it would be logical
|   for the 4th CMBG to deploy with them -- if anyone from Canada is going....
|   I remember that ther tank battalion (Royal Canadian Dragoons) had
|   the German Leopard II.....and were very, very good.  And, one of the
|   G3 staff officers at VII Corps headquarters was a Canadian Lieutenant
|   Colonel (not a liaison officer but 'assigned').

  I'm biased, I think they're rather good too (:-)).  Speculation aside,
they are a plausible formation to send, although logistics makes it hard.
The trick is really to get the equipment to the site: I'd hate to truck the
Leopards in via Lebanon.

--dave c-b

--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (01/24/91)

From: davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown)

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) writes:
| save for the field hospital and some air force troops who provide security
| for our aircraft.

 OOPS!  I no sooner sent that off than I saw a picture of a member of R22R
on airstrip security duty in Saudi Arabis.
  Sorry, I lied: we have canadian ground troops from the Royal 22nd Regiment,
the ``Van Doos'' in the Gulf.  Guarding planes, mind you, but defnitely the
army.

--dave (back to the books!) c-b
--

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (01/27/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown)
>  OOPS!  I no sooner sent that off than I saw a picture of a member of R22R
> on airstrip security duty in Saudi Arabis.
>   Sorry, I lied: we have canadian ground troops from the Royal 22nd Regiment,
> the ``Van Doos'' in the Gulf.  Guarding planes, mind you, but defnitely the
> army.

  The R22eR (pronunced are-two-two-ers) is(was) a Mech Infantry battalion
  that served with the 4th CMBG in Lahr, Germany.  If memory serves, they
  were a 'french-speaking' battalion.   The other manuever units
  with the 4th CMBG were the 3rd Bn, RCR (Royal Canadian Regiment) (Mech
  Inf) and a tank battalion, RCD (Royal Canadian Dragoons)(Leopard MBT).

  "Leopard" - the obvious pronunciation is "Le' pard", but most use the
  german pronunciation "Lee o pard"

  Anyway, I have some fond memories of some very 'interesting' formal dinner
  affairs at the Black Forest Officer's Mess with the Canadians.

  Mike Schmitt

                  "Pass down 'nother brew, eh?"