[sci.military] Has the SR-71 been used in the Persian Gulf?

kyp@stsci.EDU (Mark Kyprianou) (01/23/91)

From: kyp@stsci.EDU (Mark Kyprianou)

Has the SR-71 been used in the Persian Gulf?

Does Iraq have any weapon/defense against them?

                      Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, MD 21218
        Mark          ARPA:   kyp@stsci.edu      BITNET:   kyp@stsci
      Kyprianou       UUCP:   {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!stsci!kyp

--
                      Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, MD 21218
        Mark          ARPA: kyp@stsci.edu  BITNET: kyp@stsci  SPAN: STOSC::kyp

jk62+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jesse T. King) (01/24/91)

From: "Jesse T. King" <jk62+@andrew.cmu.edu>
> Excerpts from netnews.sci.military: 23-Jan-91 Has the SR-71 been used in
> .. Mark Kyprianou@stsci.EDU (581)

> From: kyp@stsci.EDU (Mark Kyprianou)

> Has the SR-71 been used in the Persian Gulf?

> Does Iraq have any weapon/defense against them?

    So far as I know,  all SR-71 planes have been officially
decommisioned from military service.  I am not sure if the
decommisioning is complete yet though.
    As far as weapons and defenses against them, I believe they fly far
too high for any of the Iraqi SAM units too reach them.  No defense is
neccassary as they are recon planes, not combat units.
    I'm really not positive about whether or not the Iraqi SAM units
have the range, but I'm sure someone out there knows.

                            -Jesse King

justin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Justin Ridge) (01/25/91)

From: justin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Justin Ridge)

kyp@stsci.EDU (Mark Kyprianou) writes:

>Has the SR-71 been used in the Persian Gulf?

>Does Iraq have any weapon/defense against them?

The SR-71 was retired about the middle of last year (March/April ??).
Therefore they have not been used in the Persian Gulf, unless the USAF has
secretly reactivated them, which would involve re-familiarising the crew,
setting up the PSD team etc. etc.
Besides, they'd operate from RAF Mildenhall in England, and nobody there has
seen them coming or going.
Blackbirds would be the ideal tool for reconaissance in the ME - they'd do well
at finding MOBILE SCUD LAUNCHERS!  Perhaps they are the weapon that the US will
most wish that they had.

Re: defence, the Iraqis would have no chance of shooting down the SR-71 unless
it flew abnormally slow or loitered in the threat area.  I'd say they could
come & go as they pleased.

J.Ridge,
justin@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au

PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu (01/27/91)

From: <PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu>
The SR-71 was officially retired last year by the Air Force.  I think they
said that they would keep one or two in 'flyable storage', but the rest were
removed from service.  They might tell us if they had brought it back, but
I don't think it was necessary to do so yet--satellites are good enough for
this war.
The SR-71 is basically immune to most SAMs.  I would seriously doubt if the
Iraqis could hit one even if they tried.
---
L. GORDON PAISLEY, PAISLEY@AUVM.AUVM.EDU
THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY
WASHINGTON, DC USA