[sci.military] A-1

lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster -- RCS) (01/24/91)

From: Hugh LaMaster -- RCS <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>

Twice in the last two years I have heard of a small propeller plane of
apparently 50's vintage used in Vietnam until 1968 or so.  This plane
was for ground attack and infantry support roles.  The Air Force
apparently referred to it as the "A-1".  My questions are:

1)  Who made it?

2)  What other designations did it have?

3)  Why can't I find it in Jane's in the 50's or 60's?  Where should I look?

I *have* looked at the Grumman S-2 and its variants in Jane's.  As far as I
can tell, the A-1 was not an S-2 variant.

Does anyone know *for sure* about the A-1?

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-9,  UUCP:                ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  Internet:            lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035    With Good Mailer:    lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
  Phone:  415/604-6117

lamaster@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (01/25/91)

From: Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov>
I recently posted a query.  Thanks to the many people who responded.

The A-1 was, indeed, a later designation for the Douglas Skyraider, and
can be found in the books most easily under that designation.  Jane's
refers to it as the Douglas AD.  I assume A-1 is a Vietname-era designation.

Several replies referred to it as the Spad or Spud.  This may have been
referring to its shape or something else.  In any case, the aircraft was
not as small as I thought, and was frequently used a medium-sized ground
support bomber/attack aircraft in both Korea, and Vietnam.  I gather that
it was phased out as the A-6 came on line.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

-Hugh LaMaster

fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (01/25/91)

From: fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <1991Jan24.031938.17564@cbnews.att.com>, lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster -- RCS) writes:

> From: Hugh LaMaster -- RCS <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
>
> Twice in the last two years I have heard of a small propeller plane of
> apparently 50's vintage used in Vietnam until 1968 or so.  This plane
> was for ground attack and infantry support roles.  The Air Force
> apparently referred to it as the "A-1".  My questions are:

Douglas A-1 Skyraider (original Navy designation AD-1).

Also called "Spad" or "Sandy".

Small...single-engined, yes.  It's payload was close to that of a B-17.
Compared to jets, it had much greater loiter time for ground-support
missions.

The recent film "Flight of the Intruder" has some Skyraiders flying
support near the end of the film.  (For once you see real A-1's, rather
than T-6's playing the role of Yet Another Round-Engined Fighter.)

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

jem3@bellcore.bellcore.com (John E McKillop) (01/27/91)

From: pyuxf!jem3@bellcore.bellcore.com (John E McKillop)

In article <1991Jan24.031938.17564@cbnews.att.com> lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster -- RCS) writes:

>Twice in the last two years I have heard of a small propeller plane of
>apparently 50's vintage used in Vietnam until 1968 or so.  This plane
>was for ground attack and infantry support roles.  The Air Force
>apparently referred to it as the "A-1".  My questions are:

The Douglas A-1 was developed for the USN in the late 40's and
was designated the AD-1 thru -6 I believe. In Nov 62 (??), the
new combined service designations went into effect and the AD
became the A-1. Some late model A-1's were transferred to the
USAF in the 60's for use as a ground support aircraft in
Vietnam. The USAF nickname for this aircraft was "Sandy".

al.weaver@rose.toronto.edu (01/28/91)

From: al.weaver@rose.toronto.edu

Hugh LaMaster -- RCS <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov> writes:
%
%Twice in the last two years I have heard of a small propeller plane of
%apparently 50's vintage used in Vietnam until 1968 or so.  This plane
%was for ground attack and infantry support roles.  The Air Force
%apparently referred to it as the "A-1".  My questions are:
%
%1)  Who made it?
%
%2)  What other designations did it have?
%
%3)  Why can't I find it in Jane's in the 50's or 60's?  Where should
%I look?

It was built  as  the  AD-1  Skyraider  for  the  U.S.   Navy  by  Douglas
Aircraft in 1945, and saw service in the Korean  Conflict.   Around  1962.
it  was re-designated A-1.  The U.S.A.F.  became interested in them in the
Vietnam era as a battlefield support  weapon,  so  some  were  transferred
from  the  Navy  to  them.   There  were  various  versions,  including  a
multi-seat variant.  You should be able to find  it  in  Jane's.   Perhaps
you  should  check  the  1940s  editions.   There  are  other books on the
aircraft but I can't think of any off-hand.

al.weaver@rose.uucp

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: al.weaver@rose.uucp
 UUCP:     ...tmsoft!masnet!rose!al.weaver