[sci.military] Replys to some recent threads

nobody@Kodak.COM (Rick Lafford (x37825)) (01/27/91)

From: nobody@Kodak.COM (Rick Lafford (x37825))

Regarding the comments about Sidewinders on A-10's

I have seen photo's of A-10's with two Sidewinders on one wing
and a jamming pod on the other wing.  This makes sense when you
realize that A-10's are expected to operate in hostile airspace
without a protective mig-cap.  Does anyone know if the A-10 was
originally wired for the Sidewinder or was this an adaptation.

Regarding Mike Schmitt's comments about the Spad.

I'm probably all wet but wasn't the A-1E variant a two-seater
used for training and familiarization work? I remember a side-
by-side seating arrangement.  An added few points. "Sandy"
was the code name of the search and rescue patrols that went
in to protect choppers while picking up downed pilots. "Spad"
was usually used in reference to the aircraft itself.

Regarding the Falcon simulator-

Several F-16 drivers have commented that the simulation is fairly
accurate. Two of them have written books on how to get the
most out of the simulation but I don't remember their names
just now.  I run it on a 25mz IBM clone and it's quite nice.

Regards

Rick Lafford
Eastman Kodak Co. 	lafford@serum.kodak.com
"Nobody around here authorized me to have an opinion."

gwh%soda.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (01/28/91)

From: gwh%soda.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)

In article <1991Jan27.110936.28397@cbnews.att.com> nobody@Kodak.COM (Rick Lafford (x37825)) writes:
>I have seen photo's of A-10's with two Sidewinders on one wing
>and a jamming pod on the other wing.  This makes sense when you
>realize that A-10's are expected to operate in hostile airspace
>without a protective mig-cap.  Does anyone know if the A-10 was
>originally wired for the Sidewinder or was this an adaptation.

The A-10 was not origionally equipped with the Sidewinder.  It was origionally
considered to be incapable in the air-to-air mode, and they didn't want to
bother...

After some testing where A-10's held their own against fighters (and better;
kill ratios were greater than 1:1...), including the development of the
"Warthog Stomp" tactic (point nose at enemy fighter, open fire with GAU-8...),
the air force realized that they were not sitting ducks.

Shortly thereafter, the AIM-9 wiring was run to the outer pylons.  It's not
uncommon to see A-10's fly with the ALQ-119 jamming pod on one outer pylon and
a Sidewinder opposite.

  == George William Herbert ==   * UNIX ate my last .sig, Waiting for Plan 9! *
 == JOAT for Hire: Anything, ==  #########  I do Naval Architecture, ##########
===+++ Anywhere, my price +++=== # Spacecraft Design, UNIX Systems Consulting #
 ==  gwh@soda.berkeley.edu   ==  # RPG writing/development, and lots of other #
  ==  gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu  ==   ## random stuff, of course.  I'm a JOAT 8-) ##