[sci.military] B-52, B-2 in Des. Storm

dfc@Corp.Sun.COM (Dan Currie) (02/04/91)

From: dfc@Corp.Sun.COM (Dan Currie)

> I assume that the B-2 is more stealthy than the F-117. Whether or not
> that would make it more suitable for the missions in Iraq is
> questionable. The B-2, after all, was designed to carry nukes, not
> Mk-82s.  Outside of its stealthiness, the B-2 is nothing real special.

Considering only 32 B-2's are scheduled to be purchased combined with
the fact that they will cost $850 million a copy, I doubt that the B-2
will ever see action in a conventional war. Some proponents say that it
can be used to project power across the globe and intimidate third
world countries. I would think that a RF-111 followed by a wing of
B-52's would be better than that.

--
	Dan