[sci.military] Tomahawk Guidance

faubert@cs.mcgill.ca (David FAUBERT) (01/22/91)

From: faubert@cs.mcgill.ca (David FAUBERT)
	Does anyone know about the oft mentioned Tomahawk's guidance
system? I have heard that inertial guidance systems are not used, as
they are not accurate enough over very long ranges. If the guidance is
not inertial, what is it? Also, what kind of target recognition, if any,
is employed by the missile while in flight. Any information would be
appreciated.

denbeste@uunet.UU.NET (Steven Den Beste) (01/24/91)

From: etnibsd!denbeste@uunet.UU.NET (Steven Den Beste)

In article <1991Jan22.022338.22603@cbnews.att.com> faubert@cs.mcgill.ca (David FAUBERT) writes:

>From: faubert@cs.mcgill.ca (David FAUBERT)
>	Does anyone know about the oft mentioned Tomahawk's guidance
>system? I have heard that inertial guidance systems are not used, as
>they are not accurate enough over very long ranges. If the guidance is
>not inertial, what is it? Also, what kind of target recognition, if any,
>is employed by the missile while in flight. Any information would be
>appreciated.

Cruise missile guidance works by recognition of ground features.
Programmed into its guidance system are topological maps of one
or more areas over which it will pass. After a couple hundred miles,
it enters a square which it knows. Its radar then compares where it
is (by matching the shape of the ground against its on-board model)
to where it is supposed to be and corrects its course accordingly.
It then flies blind until it reaches the next area it knows.

There are good sides and bad sides to this design. The missile isn't
depending on any outside control (including sattelites) so it should
be largely immune to ECM. Its radar is pointed down (to see the ground)
and is off most of the time anyway (when between squares) so it doesn't
give itself away.

On the other hand, it requires distinctive geology to fly over so that
it can recognize terrain features to adjust its course. That means that
there are large areas of the Soviet Union which couldn't be reached via
strategic-range cruise missiles because the local geology is simply
flat, or rolling hills. That`s why, back in the good old days of the
Cold War, cruise missiles were not a replacement for ballistic missiles.

It also implies that a substantial amount of effort is required to
program a cruise missile. We're talking weeks, not hours. There simply
isn't any good way to spontaneously retarget a cruise missile to respond
to changing conditions - unless you've captured and stored an appropriate
model of the entire grand-tactical battlefield, which we seem to have
done in the case of Iraq between September and now. The word in Newsweek
this week was that General Schwarzkopf (sp?) insisted on them doing this - and
now it is paying off in spades.

carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au (Carlo Kopp) (01/27/91)

From: Carlo Kopp <carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au>
In <1991Jan22.022338.22603@cbnews.att.com> faubert@cs.mcgill.ca (David FAUBERT) writes:

>From: faubert@cs.mcgill.ca (David FAUBERT)
>	Does anyone know about the oft mentioned Tomahawk's guidance
>system? I have heard that inertial guidance systems are not used, as
>they are not accurate enough over very long ranges. If the guidance is
>not inertial, what is it? Also, what kind of target recognition, if any,
>is employed by the missile while in flight. Any information would be
>appreciated.

The AGM/BGM-109 Tomahawk series missiles employ either two or three
guidance elements.

Midcourse guidance is provided by a precision inertial system, which
is periodically updated by TERCOM (TERrain COntour Matching) navigation
equipment. TERCOM will take a series of radar altimeter readings and store
a profile of the terrain under the missile. This profile is then matched
against a stored map of a given area, a clever algorithm is used to determine
the vehicle's position. The position information is then used to update the
inertial system.

As a result, the cruise missile will spend most of its time flying on
inertial guidance and it will only do updates in preprogrammed areas. Using
this technique, it is not necessary to map the whole of the enemy's landmass,
as all that is required are maps along favourable approach routes.

As the missile approaches the target, the resolution of the programmed grids
is increased, so that the accuracy of the missile increases.

Some Tomahawks are also equipped with the third guidance element, the DSMAC
(digital scene matching area correlator) which uses a nose camera to look at
the terrain beneath the missile and compares this with a stored image
presumably acquired by satellite recce. DSMAC equipped Tomahawks are
reportedly accurate to a CEP of the order of tens of feet.

There have been some suggestions that the Tomahawks may also be fitted with
GPS satnav to supplement the TERCOM equipment, does anybody out there have
any details ?

Carlo Kopp, Defence Writer for Australian Aviation journal

Melbourne, Australia

rqdms@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov (Dennis Stockert) (02/04/91)

From: rqdms@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov (Dennis Stockert)
In article <1991Jan22.022338.22603@cbnews.att.com>, faubert@cs.mcgill.ca (David FAUBERT) writes...

>	Does anyone know about the oft mentioned Tomahawk's guidance
>system? I have heard that inertial guidance systems are not used, as
>they are not accurate enough over very long ranges. If the guidance is
>not inertial, what is it? Also, what kind of target recognition, if any,
>is employed by the missile while in flight. Any information would be
>appreciated.

This was just discussed in this group not long ago.  The Tomahawk uses a
guidance system called TERCOM (TERrain COntour Matching) which compares the
topography of the terrain over which it's flying to digital maps stored in
the on-board computers.  It does this comparison periodically as it
progresses along its flight path, and makes necessary guidance corrections
accordingly.

* Dennis Stockert              *  Life is what happens to you while   *
* rqdms@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov   *  you're planning other things - Mom  *
*  No one that knows me would mistake my opinions for those of        *
*                 any respectable organization                        *