[sci.military] F-14 vs F-15

zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif) (01/19/91)

From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif)

	My friend and I were discussing about the US jet fighters and
we finally came down to debating whether the F-14 is better than the
F-15(E).  My opinion is besides the F-117 stealth fighter, there is
nothing more devastating and powerful in the sky than the F-14.  My
friend, needless to say, holds a different opinion than that of mine.
My only reasoning is that the F-14 is the only jet fighter that is
able to carry the Phoenix missiles with their range over 100 miles,
while the F-15 is only equipped with Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles,
which in my opinion, are inferior to the Phoenix missiles.  Of course,
the above argument sounds simplistic since neither of us is a student
of military studies and we seem to harp on the obvious.

	Could someone provide me with the details of both planes.  I
would appreciate if he/she could also give some expert opinions on
which jet fighter is superior than the other.

	Thanks in advance

-NorAazizam MohdAAsif         || ARPA   - zam@athena.mit.edu
-Goodale 104, 3 Ames St       || BITNET - zam%mit@mitvma.mit.edu
-Cambridge, MA 02139   	      || UUCP   - {..}!mit-eddie!bloom-beacon!zam

john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) (01/22/91)

From: newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III)

> From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif)
>
> My friend and I were discussing about the US jet fighters and we finally
> came down to debating whether the F-14 is better than the F-15(E).

You are comparing apples and oranges.  The F-14 is a fleet defence plane.
Its job is to make sure that there is no threat to a carrier within its
sphere of operation.  These threats would be incoming aircraft.

The F-15E is a ground attack version of the F-15.  Its job is to deliver
bombs in any weather condition and be able to defend itself on the way out.

You cannot compare these two rolls.  Would you want an F-15 on a carrier?
The landing gear would not survive the first carrier landing.  If you
compare a F-15C (ie, not the Strike Eagle) to a F-14 and ignore the
differences in carrier vrs land based, you will have a fairly even match.
Differences are mainly nits, such as the F-15 having slightly better thrust
to weight ratio.  The F-15 carries AMRAAM, whereas F-14 has the Pheonix.
Both have shorter range missiles and small cannons.

> My opinion is besides the F-117 stealth fighter, there is
> nothing more devastating and powerful in the sky than the F-14.

This is an even wilder comparison.  The F-117 is not a fighter.  It
should have been called something like the A-13 (or A-12 back then,
with the A-13 being the Avenger).  The F-117 is designed to drop 2
2000 pound laser guided bombs on high valued targets.  Not overly
powerful, and not really devastating, but rather, a highly specialized
single mission plane.  From the film that we have seen on CNN, it looks
like the F-117 does that job very well.  Pilots report that they can
get within 12 seconds of their target before being detected, which leaves
very little time for any type of defense.

Tomcats are not designed to carry any type of bombs, it is strictly
a fighter.  The Tomcat has the power to carry a heavy load, but it
is difficult to put a lot of hard points on a swing wing plane.

> My only reasoning is that the F-14 is the only jet fighter that is
> able to carry the Phoenix missiles with their range over 100 miles,
> while the F-15 is only equipped with Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles,
> which in my opinion, are inferior to the Phoenix missiles.

The F-111A was designed around the Phoenix missile, but I doubt that any
F-111's currently have the Phoenix mission--the F-111s currently are either
long range light bombers or electronics planes.

The Phoenix is extremely expensive.  If you can get within the range
of a Sparrow, you save your country quite a bit of cash.  Plus, with
the weight of a Phoenix, you can carry many more Sparrows.

Rather than comparing planes for superiority, try matching planes to
their missions.  When aviation writers talk about air superiority fighters,
the opinion is that the F-15 has no match.  But I'm sure that you would
do OK if you chose the F-14 instead.  As far as a plane that fullfills its
missions, I would just as soon have an A-10 Warthog painted up with teeth.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

john@karnak.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.) (01/22/91)

From: john@karnak.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.)
In article <1991Jan19.043622.6577@cbnews.att.com> zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif) writes:

>From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif)
>
>	My friend and I were discussing about the US jet fighters and
>we finally came down to debating whether the F-14 is better than the
>F-15(E).  My opinion is besides the F-117 stealth fighter, there is

Two different missions for the F-14 and the F-15E.  The F-15E is a
fighter-bomber whose main purpose in life is ground attack.  The F-14
is an air-superiority fighter whose main purpose in life is to control
the skies.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23860
Voice:  804-458-2983  Net: john@karnak.cactus.org or john@karnak.sigma.com

kjn@hrmso.att.com (Kenneth J Novak) (01/22/91)

From: kjn@hrmso.att.com (Kenneth J Novak)
> From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif)
>
> 	My friend and I were discussing about the US jet fighters and
> we finally came down to debating whether the F-14 is better than the
> F-15(E).

 ... Stuff deleted ...

> My only reasoning is that the F-14 is the only jet fighter that is
> able to carry the Phoenix missiles with their range over 100 miles,

This is a MAJOR factor in A-A combat.

> while the F-15 is only equipped with Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles,
> which in my opinion, are inferior to the Phoenix missiles.

Inferior in range NOT accuracy.

A friend of mine is currently in the Navy Aviation program in P-cola.
Part of AOCS was memorizing mountains of information on weapons and
aircraft.  The F-14s track record is good largely due to the Pheonix
missle.  They can lock and fire on a target LONG before it's in range
to fire back at you. "As for tight maneuvering, it's a pig." (quoted)

In maneuverability, the F-15 probably has the edge in CLOSE A-A combat.
Put these two against each other at 100 miles and my money's on the
Tomcat.

Ken Novak

P.S.  A BIG factor in air combat is the proficiency of the pilot.
      Top Gun instructors flying F-5's and A-4's REGULARLY beat
      the pants off their student pilots flying newer and more
      sophistocated aircraft.

zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif) (01/23/91)

From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif)
In article <1991Jan22.014043.18325@cbnews.att.com> newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>> From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif)
>>
>> My friend and I were discussing about the US jet fighters and we finally
>> came down to debating whether the F-14 is better than the F-15(E).
>
> You are comparing apples and oranges.  The F-14 is a fleet defence plane.
> Its job is to make sure that there is no threat to a carrier within its
> sphere of operation.  These threats would be incoming aircraft.

	The comparison that I had in mind is between the F-14 and the
F-15C, and my stating the F-15E in the original article was due to an
error on my part.  Based solely on memory, I was not sure which one is
the one-seater F-15 which resembles the F-14, F-15C or F-15E, and
obviously I chose the wrong one.  I was not being specific enough in
my original article and let me state here that I was comparing the two
jet fighters, F-14 and F-15C based on their air-to-air combat ability.

> You cannot compare these two rolls.  Would you want an F-15 on a carrier?
> The landing gear would not survive the first carrier landing.  If you
> compare a F-15C (ie, not the Strike Eagle) to a F-14 and ignore the
> differences in carrier vrs land based, you will have a fairly even match.
> Differences are mainly nits, such as the F-15 having slightly better thrust
> to weight ratio.  The F-15 carries AMRAAM, whereas F-14 has the Pheonix.
> Both have shorter range missiles and small cannons.

	I was neglecting the fact that the F-14 is carrier-based while
the F-15C is land-based.  Let's assume the two jets have to slug it
out in a dogfight, which jet would you like to be in?  Since the two
jets both are equipped with AIM-7, and AIM-9, I would say the only
difference is the AMRAAM and AIM-54.  My reason for choosing the F-14
is the AIM-54 which I believe is the best air-to-air missile available
in the world today.  Is this a good enough reason to justify my choice
of F-14 over F-15C?

greg@sif.claremont.edu (Tigger) (01/24/91)

From: Tigger <greg@sif.claremont.edu>

Okay, numerous persons have pointed out that the F-14 and F-15 have different
roles.  By all accounts the F-14 is designed for fleet defense, and does its
job quite well.  The F-15, depending upon the variation and/or the person
telling the story, is a great ground-pounder, close-quarters air-to-air
combatant, and air superiority weapon.

So where, in the overall scheme of things, does that leave my personal
favorite 'sexy' plane, the F-16?  I was under the impression that it was
the close-quarters air-to-air king.  It certainly doesn't carry the ordinance
to be a groud-pounder.  I believe that they are being used in the gulf, as
I did see a shot of several of them landing on the news the other night,
though I suppose that could have been file footage.  Are they being used
as escorts for the F-15E's, since those are carrying bombs rather than
missiles?

Also, where does the F/A-18 fit in?  I was also under the impression that
they are rather agile, since the Blue Angels use them, no?  That would seem
to earmark them for close air-to-air, but the "A" in their name would seem
to indicate that they can also be used for ground attack.

Finally, where will the ATF fit in, whichever model is chosen?  Which of
our current aircraft is is basically intended to replace?  I realize that
no official word has been released on weapons systems other than that Lockheed
did fire a Sidewinder from one of the YF-22's internal bays, but can any of
the well-informed readers of this newsgroup at least speculate?

Greg Orman
greg@pomona.claremont.edu

tighe@hydra.convex.com (Mike Tighe) (01/24/91)

From: tighe@hydra.convex.com (Mike Tighe)
>From: kjn@hrmso.att.com (Kenneth J Novak)
>> From: zam@athena.mit.edu (Nor Aazizam Mohd Aasif)

>> My friend and I were discussing about the US jet fighters and we finally
>> came down to debating whether the F-14 is better than the F-15(E).  My
>> opinion is besides the F-117 stealth fighter, there is nothing more
>> devastating and powerful in the sky than the F-14.

John Weeks has already covered this "apples to oranges" so I will pass.

>> My only reasoning is that the F-14 is the only jet fighter that is able to
>> carry the Phoenix missiles with their range over 100 miles,

> This is a MAJOR factor in A-A combat.

No, the major factor in A/A is experience. This is documented in a variety
of studies. A 100 mile missile is not all that useful against another
fighter, and historically, US pilots are usually not allowed to shoot at
planes that they have not visually identified.

>> while the F-15 is only equipped with Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles,
>> which in my opinion, are inferior to the Phoenix missiles.

> Inferior in range NOT accuracy.

Different missiles for different missions. The Phoenix is long range, the
Sparrow medium range, and the Sidewinder is short range.

> The F-14s track record is good largely due to the Pheonix missle.  They can
> lock and fire on a target LONG before it's in range to fire back at you.
> "As for tight maneuvering, it's a pig." (quoted)

The F-14 does not have a track record with the Phoenix missile. All US F-14
kills have been made with either the Sidewinder (3 firings, 3 kills), or
the Sparrow (3 firings, 1 kill).

Now for my questions. Can anyone document the A/A engagements that the US
has had so far in this war? I would like to know the US plane, the Iraqi
plane and the weapon used. Dates, pilots (if released) would be nice also.

Also, does anyone have the names of the F-14 pilots that killed the Mig's
near Libya in early January 1989? Their names were not immediately released
for security reasons, and I never followed up on getting them.
--

madmax@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Max Abramowitz) (01/25/91)

From: madmax@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Max Abramowitz)
In <1991Jan24.035146.21888@cbnews.att.com> tighe@hydra.convex.com
(Mike Tighe) writes:

>No, the major factor in A/A is experience. This is documented in a variety
>of studies. A 100 mile missile is not all that useful against another
>fighter, and historically, US pilots are usually not allowed to shoot at
>planes that they have not visually identified.

I saw a news show a couple of years ago, which commented that the F-14
could detect and fire upon targets well before the target could even see the
F-14.  However, because there is a time lag between the release of the missile
and contact with the target and because the F-14 needs to maintain radar
contact with the missile (i.e. keep missile in a narrow area in front of
plane), less sophisticated and cheaper planes could, in the time lag, detect
and fire off their own missiles.  Result two planes gone, one expensive and
one cheap.

The "aggressor" plane used in the test was unique in that the R&D money
came not from the government, but the manufacture.  It think it was the
TigerII, but I would not bet my life on that.

max abramowitz
madmax@gargoyle.uchicago.edu
my opinions are my own

pkh@cbnewsi.att.com (Kenneth Novak) (01/27/91)

From: pkh@cbnewsi.att.com (Kenneth Novak)
In article <1991Jan24.034935.21643@cbnews.att.com>, Tigger <greg@sif.claremont.edu> writes:

> Also, where does the F/A-18 fit in?  I was also under the impression that
> they are rather agile, since the Blue Angels use them, no?  That would seem
> to earmark them for close air-to-air, but the "A" in their name would seem
> to indicate that they can also be used for ground attack.

Yes, the F/A-18 IS used for ground attack.  A friend of mine is an
ex-marine from 2nd Recon. Batt.  On one his jaunts into the woods
dressed up like a bush, his team called in a live air strike.

After the radio man called up the coordinates, the last thing he
heard was "Roj-O on the pop ...".  Talk about unleashing a whole
lot of hate, WHEW!  He couldn't believe all that fury came from
ONE little plane!

(Needless to say, the target was termed destroyed)

Ken

SMPOD@VENUS.LERC.NASA.GOV (01/28/91)

From:    SMPOD@VENUS.LERC.NASA.GOV
In article kjn@hrmso.att.com (Kenneth J Novak) writes...
/
/In maneuverability, the F-15 probably has the edge in CLOSE A-A combat.
/Put these two against each other at 100 miles and my money's on the
/Tomcat.

That assumes that the F14 and Phoenix radars are 'unjammable' and that the
Phoenix can catch aircraft flying nap of the earth.

john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) (02/04/91)

From: newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III)

>From: Tigger <greg@sif.claremont.edu>

> So where, in the overall scheme of things, does that leave my personal
> favorite 'sexy' plane, the F-16?

The USAF would like to equip all of its fighter units with F-15's, but
the cost of the F-15 makes this all but impossible.  The 'Electric Jet'
was developed as a low cost highly manuverable fighter for the USAF.
It has since been adapted to an attact roll as the proposed A-16 which
is slated to replace the A-10.  F-16s have replaced many of the remaining
F-4's in USAF inventory.

> Also, where does the F/A-18 fit in?

The Hornet is descended from the F-17 Cobra, which lost out to the F-16
in a USAF fly-off for the F-16 roll.  McDonnel-Douglas adapted the F-17
for carrier operation, then totally revamped the Cobra to make the F-18.
The Navy still had a number of F-4's in service and they could not justify
buying the very expensive Tomcat to replace the F-4s.  The A-7 Coursair II
was also nearing the end if its service life.  So the Navy bought into the
F-18 concept to replace the F-4s with F-18 fighters, and the A-7s with
A-18 attack planes.  As it turned out, the F-18 could do perform rolls
with the same basic configuration, so the two projects were folded into
the F/A-18 which both the Navy and the Marines fly.  It is used as a fighter,
as escort for the heavy attack planes (A-6), and as a light attack bomber.

> Finally, where will the ATF fit in, whichever model is chosen?

The F-15 is currently the top air superiority fighter available.  But it
might be equalled or surpassed in the 90's.  There are plans for advanced
European fighters, the Su-27 is quite impressive, and the Mig-31 is an
unknown quantity.  The big questions is whether to come up with a better
F-15 based on a 20 year old design, or start from scratch.  Since a number
of new technologies have been explored in the past 20 years, the decision
was to propose an advanced fighter.  Some of the mission parameters
include stealthieness and super-cruise (flying supersonic without using
after-burners).

The Navy faces much the same problem.  The Tomcats are getting old.  The
will all need new engines at some point.  There have been Tomcat variants
proposed, such as the F-14A+ and the SuperTomcat.  Both are very impressive,
but they again are based on a 25 year old design.  And the Navy would like
to have some measure of stealth.

The Lockheed YF-22 Lightning II and the McDonnel-Douglas YF-23 were
funded in 1986 for two prototypes each.  The USAF may choose one of these,
or it might try to make the F-15 last another generation.  The big
question that will need to be answered are either of these new planes
good enough to warrant the expense?

The Navy has been encouraged to choose one of these planes to replace
the Tomcat.  The choosen plane would have to be modified for carrier
operation.

My personal opinion is that the USAF will pick one of the ATF for a small
production run, improve some of the F-15s, then wait for the next generation.
I personally like the F-23, it looks totally cool.  I do not see the Navy
going for either ATF plane based on its F-111 experience.  Besides, could
anyone sleep at night knowing that the Navy did not have a Grumman 'cat
plane flying fleet defense?

34X3TAN%CMUVM.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu (JEFF KAVANAUGH) (02/04/91)

From: JEFF KAVANAUGH <34X3TAN%CMUVM.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu>
I wish to add some information to this:

The F-14D also has the ability to fire the AIM-120 AMRAAM missle as well
 as the  AIM-54C PHOENIX. The  AIM-120 has a range  of 40-50 nmi  and is
 ment to replace
the Sparrow III, where the AIM-54C has a range of at least 125 nmi. It's
 radar  is  the   APG-71  system  which  has   greater  data  processing
 capability,  and  greater  range.  Also, the  D-model  is  fitted  with
 General-Electric  F110 turbofans  which eliminates  the power  problems
 with earlier models (it doesn't need afterburn-
ers  for takeoff).  The only  advanatages the  F-15E has  is that  it is
better in the  ground attack role, it has a  higher thrust to weight(?),
and it is margin- ally faster.

                                            Jeff Kavanaugh