[sci.military] Ugly M-60's

cottleta@uunet.UU.NET (Tim Cottle) (02/04/91)

From: ingr!b11!b11!cottleta@uunet.UU.NET (Tim Cottle)
In article <1991Jan28.041718.10532@cbnews.att.com> JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W. Jewell) writes:

>Thought 2: Anyone know the title for a good work on Allied plans to
>invade Nippon?  Seems like the time to read it.

A few years ago I read a book called, I believe, _Burning Mountain_ by
Alfred Coppel (the author I'm much more sure of).  It involved a conventional
invasion of the Japanese home islands.

 --

 |  Timothy A. Cottle                  |                                      |
 |  Workstation Systems Development    |      Mit der Dummheit kampfen        |

rudedog@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Parick J Volk) (02/04/91)

From: "Parick J Volk" <rudedog@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

 Anyway, reactive armor is a form of layered explosive over the steel armor
of existing tanks. The purpose of the armor is to counteract the contact of
an explosive charge (i.e. a LAW, or other AP explosive device) with a counter
explosion.
 Light anti-tank weapons use primarily a shaped armour-piecing explosive
charge, and this is what reactive armour is designed against.

 There have been some approached to counter reactive armors, and the most
promising is the use of a densified uranium sabot, shot at high velocity.
The intent to be to enter the compartment faster than the abilty of the
armor to react.