[sci.military] SSN's in the Gulf?

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (01/18/91)

From: smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith)
(for sci.military)
Is there any word (speculation, rumor) about the deployment of
U.S. SSN's in the Persian Gulf.  What is SOP for a task force
in this tactical situation?
-Bill

gordon@meaddata.com (Gordon Edwards) (01/19/91)

From: gordon@meaddata.com (Gordon Edwards)

In article <1991Jan18.004731.9410@cbnews.att.com>,
smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) writes:

|> From: smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith)
|> (for sci.military)
|> Is there any word (speculation, rumor) about the deployment of
|> U.S. SSN's in the Persian Gulf.  What is SOP for a task force
|> in this tactical situation?
|> -Bill

While it is normally accepted that an SSN or two would accompany a CBG, I
doubt that any are in the Gulf in that capacity.  First, the Iraqi's do not
have enough of a navy to justify the SSNs presence and my guess is the Gulf
is too shallow to ensure the sub's safety.  The only purpose for their
presence would be as a (covert?) cruise missle platform (the LA class normally
carries 12 missles).  We don't really need a covert launch platform since
the Iraqi's probably can't do anything about our overt platforms.  So that
leaves us with just a cruise missle platform (i.e. if SSNs are in the Gulf,
we needed to launch a hell-of-alot more missles that could be carried by
our surface ships.

This is only a guess.

-- Gordon     (gordon@meaddata.com)

drn@pinet.aip.org (donald_newcomb) (01/19/91)

From: drn@pinet.aip.org (donald_newcomb)
>From: smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith)
>(for sci.military)
>Is there any word (speculation, rumor) about the deployment of
>U.S. SSN's in the Persian Gulf.  What is SOP for a task force
>in this tactical situation?
>-Bill

A cursory glance at any chart of the Persian (Arabian) Gulf will
reveil that the maximum depth is about 80m. The average depth is
about 50m. The Arabian (west) half is mostly less than 25m. The
whole place is littered with oil platforms, well heads and pipe
lines. With surface trafic taking up the first 20m, or so, _I_
wouldn't want to be in a sub in the Gulf.

| Donald R. Newcomb                   | Disclaimer: Disclaimer? I don'   |
| (601) 863-2235                      | need no stinking disclaimer. I   |
| drn@pinet.aip.org (new)             | pay for this mailbox.            |

aoki@hermes.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (01/22/91)

From: aoki@hermes.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki)
>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>While it's true that a SSN only carries 12 VLS Tomahawks, remember that
>a BB only carries 32 (8 x 4 missile ABL's).  Those box launchers take a
>long time to reload.

When you've got about a half-dozen VLS DD963's with 61 VLS cells and
no SM-2s, three or four CG-47/52's, a bunch of twin ABL shooters,
and two BB61's, subs become a real poor cruise missile delivery asset
by comparison.  Plus, someone has to keep an eye on Vlad and Petr while
the SWO's play in the Gulf.

a cell, but then reloading VLS isn't quite that trivial either.  A good
handling team with well-maintained ABLs doesn't take very long at all to
put eight birds away.  ABLs take all-up-rounds (AURs) like everyone else.
--
    Paul M. Aoki   |   aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU   |   ...!ucbvax!aoki

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (01/24/91)

From: eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya)
The tube says, "Tomahawks were recently launched from an SSN."
They did not specific the Gulf (mostly probably) or Red Sea
(why fly of S.A. and malfunction there?).

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene
  AMERICA: CHANGE IT OR LOSE IT.

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (01/25/91)

From: smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin)

In article <1991Jan24.034059.20462@cbnews.att.com>, eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
> From: eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya)
> The tube says, "Tomahawks were recently launched from an SSN."
> They did not specific the Gulf (mostly probably) or Red Sea
> (why fly of S.A. and malfunction there?).

Recent news reports speak of Tomahawks launched from the Mediterranean,
and overflying Turkey to reach Iraq.  Some reports claim that these
have been launched from subs; the Pentagon refuses to say anything
about submarine operations.

From: xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan)
PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu writes:

From <PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu>

> I am not sure about this, but it was my understanding that the water
> in the Gulf was too shallow for Submarines, which usually like 400+
> feet of water in which to operate. My common sense says they were
> probably outside the Gulf itself.

While a submarine is giving away its primary defense, going deep and
quiet, by operating in shallow water, and one has to be a little chary
about sliding the cooling water intakes into the mud, it is possible to
fight a submarine on the surface in well under fifty feet of water, and
submerged (with inconvenience) in under a hundred.

Kent, the man from xanth.
Former MT1(SS), USN.