[sci.military] Safe upside-down ejection

urbanf@yj.data.nokia.fi (Urban Fredriksson) (02/04/91)

From: urbanf@yj.data.nokia.fi  (Urban Fredriksson)
gwh%soda.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:

>From: gwh%soda.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)

>In article <1991Jan27.112624.29486@cbnews.att.com> jokim@jarthur.Claremont.edu (John H. Kim) writes:

>With a modern ejection seat, the chances that you will survive without
>serious injury during a 'normal' ejection (not upside-down-low-altitude, etc)

  In fact, you CAN eject upside-down-at-low-altitude quite
  safely, PROVIDED the velocity vector points above the horizon.

  For a Viggen an example figure is 800 km/h, 20 m, 5 degrees up.
  You'll then fly an 1100 m arc, with a top of about 80 m.

      - Urban               ___________________
\--------------------------/ Urban Fredriksson \--------------------------/
 \ My opinions are my own, \-------------------/ I do NOT, and is not    /
  \ but you may share them. \  Nokia Data AB  / allowed to, speak for   /
   \  +-----------------------+  Stockholm   /      my employer!       /
    \-| The best way to get   |___Sweden____/-------------------------/
      | rid of an enemy is to |
      | make him a friend.    |
      +-----------------------+

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: urbanf@yj.data.nokia.fi  (Urban Fredriksson)
>>With a modern ejection seat, the chances that you will survive without
>>serious injury during a 'normal' ejection (not upside-down-low-altitude...
>
>  In fact, you CAN eject upside-down-at-low-altitude quite
>  safely, PROVIDED the velocity vector points above the horizon.

Actually, even that isn't necessary with the best modern seats.  The latest
Martin-Baker seats can land you safely from an ejection in level flight,
upside-down, at 100 feet!  Note also the MiG-29 seat that landed Anatoly
Kvotchur bruised but intact after ejecting in a near-vertical dive at
under 200 feet during the Paris Air Show.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry