[sci.military] Questions about the SLAM

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (01/24/91)

From: "J. Taggart Gorman" <jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu>
  The other day on the news, the reporter mentioned that the US forces were
using weapons not even assigned names yet.  Today I saw the pictures on
TV of a SLAM doing just that into a building of some kind.
  I assume that the SLAM and the above mentioned 'undesignated' weapons are
of the same group?
  Does anyone have any data on the SLAM?  First, what does it stand for?
Surface Launched Attack Missile????  Second, it is really just a modified
Harpoon?  Was the payload reduced because of the weight of a TV seeker head?
Can it be fired from any platform cleared for the Harpoon?  Ie...  A-6,
submarines (how would they select the target?), surface ships?
  Questions, questions.  Answers?

	J. Taggart Gorman

skipsand@crash.cts.com (Skip Sanders) (01/27/91)

From: skipsand@crash.cts.com (Skip Sanders)

SLAM = Standoff Land Attack Missile.  I've heard/seen in the news that
it's a variant of the Navy/AF used Harpoon Anti-Ship missle, but don't know
if that's just typical Media error or not, yet...

em31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Andrew Morgan) (01/27/91)

From: Eric Andrew Morgan <em31+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>  Does anyone have any data on the SLAM?  First, what does it stand >for?
>Surface Launched Attack Missile????  Second, it is really just a modified
>Harpoon?  Was the payload reduced because of the weight of a TV >seeker head?
>Can it be fired from any platform cleared for the Harpoon?  Ie...  A-6,
>submarines (how would they select the target?), surface ships?
>  Questions, questions.  Answers?
>
>	J. Taggart Gorman

The SLAM or Standoff Land Attack Missile is basically a modification of
the Harpoon,  I assume that it can be launched from any platform that
can launch a Harpoon.  It can be guided to the target by the launching
platform using the TV image sent back to the platform from the missile.
There might be other methods of guidance and probably are.  I am not
sure about the range but recall something about it being less than the
Harpoon, possibly they reduced the fuel load so they wouldn't have to
reduce the warhead size.  Unforunately, there isn't much published info.

Eric.

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (02/05/91)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU
A few more bits of information about the SLAM ...

In <1991Jan24.044210.26312@cbnews.att.com> jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:
>Can it be fired from any platform cleared for the Harpoon?

It appears to be an air launched only weapon. Navy press statements
about SLAM tests have indicated that A-6E and F/A-18 aircraft have
launched the SLAM. At least one test (in June 1989) involved launch
from one aircraft and target selection from another. Since the data
link is identical to that used in Walleye II, presumably target
selection can be done from any aircraft that can use the data pod for
the Walleye II.

In article <1991Jan27.114727.880@cbnews.att.com> carlo@gaia.gcs.oz.au (Carlo Kopp) writes:
>It employs the airframe, warhead and powerplant of the Harpoon ...

The payload is a 488.5 lb. HE penetrating warhead. The powerplant is
the J402-CA-400 turbojet with 600 lb. thrust.

>I do not know whether the missile is operational at this time,
>although AWST did mention some trials late last year. Does anybody
>know anything about operational deployment of the weapon with USN CVs
>in the Gulf ?

TV reports have claimed it was used in the Persian Gulf War.

In <1991Jan27.114834.948@cbnews.att.com> em31+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Andrew Morgan) writes:
>I am not sure about the range but recall something about it being
>less than the Harpoon, possibly they reduced the fuel load so they
>wouldn't have to reduce the warhead size.

The range is 120 nm. This would make it the same or longer range than
Harpoon. SLAM may incorporate some Harpoon Block II technology. SLAM
is slightly longer in length than the normal Harpoon.

Other data:	dimensions: 13.5" x 177"
		weight: 1385 lbs.
		fuel: 100 lbs.
		speed: 0.85 Mach

The Navy plans (at least in early 1989) were to procure only 290 SLAM
at a fairly high cost. SLAM was meant to be a temporary measure until
some JSOW/MSOW weapon (probably the Navy ASWS) could be produced. On 1
February 1988, McDonnell Douglas received a contract for 14 missiles.
The first delivery occurred on 3 November 1988. In the 1988 Standoff
Master plan, SLAM was chosen by the Navy over AGM-130. In February
1989, authority for limited rate production (Milestone IIIA) was
granted. Full production authority (Milestone IIIB) was expected
sometime in 1990. I was not able to find specific information on the
SLAM acquisition schedule. However, acquisition of all AGM-84 types
was 138 in FY89, 190 in FY90 with 215 requested in FY91. In 1988, 116
AGM-84 were ordered, and 93 were ordered in 1989. Deliveries in 1988
totalled 116 and in 1989 they totalled 75.

Sources:	World Naval Weapon Systems by Friedman (Naval Institute Press)
		USNI Proceedings May 1989
		USNI Proceedings May 1990

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273