[sci.military] synopsis of responses to MINIMIZE

drn@pinet.aip.org (donald_newcomb) (02/06/91)

From: drn@pinet.aip.org (donald_newcomb)
Here is the synopsis of responses to my posting titled "MINIMIZE"
on the topic of reducing the size and number of postings to
sci.military . Most replies voiced a terse concurrence:

>From: novak@mother.idx.com (Dave Novak)
>>2. Make your included quotes from previous articles as small as
>>   possible.
>Yes, but we should discourage those who do not quote at all.  A brief quote
>helps to remind the reader of the context.
	[I probably should have said, "as small as possible while]
	[still reflecting the context of your reply." drn]

>From: bobmcc@tcs.com (Bob McCormick)
>I appreciate your comments.  Another idea would be for those with
>good references to summarize things, like the artical on Patriot.
>I'm guilty of this..but it is hard when books are at home and
>computer is at work.

>From: Eric Edward Moore <em21+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>Much too much traffic.
>3 days some 130 messages.  I can't read all that.
>No way.
>I can't even get through all the RE: lines.

>From: Chesley Reyburn <cmr@cvedc.prime.com>
>Concur! Everyone keep it brief. Please!

Then I received this long and thoughtful reply from Tom Comeau.
He urges a much less chatty newsgroup dedicated to the principles
of scholarly research.  I, personally, agree with him, with some
reservations that I have added at the end.

(Tom Comeau @ Space Telescope Science Institute)
>A lot of bandwidth and misinformation would be spared if people would
>follow one simple rule:  Include references for all statements of 'fact.'

>If you read something in AvLeak, go find the issue in which you read it,
>and include the issue date in your posting.  There are three major
>reasons for doing this:
>  1) Other people will know that it came from a published source; you
>     didn't just make it up.
>  2) Other people will be able to read the entire article themselves,
>     rather than the [BRIEF] excerpt in your posting.
>  3) You will have a chance to read the article again, and see if if
>     really says what you think it did.

>If you have a military or military/industrial-complex background, citing
>to a nonclassified source is a way of covering your <self>.  You should
>of course avoid including comments like "and that's the _right_ number",
>but the rest of us assume you probably wouldn't knowingly quote a source
>that was wildly out of touch with reality.  See also the Guidelines for
>the group.
	[See my remarks on this after this article. drn]

>If you have personal knowledge of some information, think for a moment
>about whether your knowledge is subject to security classification.  If
>not, cite personal knowledge (noting the security issue) and give the
>net an idea of how you came by the knowledge.  (When I was down south
>rooting the Argies out of Goose Green...)

>The result of all this is that you have taken a small amount of time to
>improve the quality of your prospective posting.  Now re-read the
>newsgroup and see if anyone else has posted substantially the same
>material.  If not, or _especially_ if what they've posted is wrong or
>misleading, mail the posting off to Bill.

>The rest of us will then run off to check your references, and nod
>sagely was we confirm the knowledge you've provided.  Or we'll decide
>that your interpretation of the data was wrong, or that we have a better
>reference, and we'll respond to your posting with new information.
>Since we don't want to appear to be flaming, we'll include references of
>our own, and the cycle will start anew.

>The immediate results are:

>  - Wide dissemination of _sources_, other than sci.military, for
>information about the technology that backs the art of war.
>  - Arguments about military technology based on 'facts' we can check
>for ourselves, rather than hazy recollections of something my cousin's
>brother's uncle heard in the Marines.  Or the Coast Guard.
>  - Reduction of straight duplication, as we take the time to check
>sources and discover someone beat us to it.

>Over the long run, however, something more important may happen:  We may
>find that rather than arguing over petty details,  we legitimately
>disagree about military technology, its employment, and its future
>directions.

At this point I started a discussion about why quoting from
unclassified sources _will not_ cover your <self> but it ran into
several pages and I said I wasn't going to do that any more. If
you need to know why, ask your security officer or send me a
self-addressed-stamped e-mail. I will send you the explanation
directly.

Donald Newcomb
drn@pinet.aip.org
(601) 863-2235