[sci.military] Pinpoint navigation around Baghdad

herrickd@uunet.UU.NET (daniel lance herrick) (01/22/91)

From: abvax!iccgcc.DNET!herrickd@uunet.UU.NET (daniel lance herrick)

Dear Moderator - I found this on .ntp where it had been
reposted from rec.ham.radio.  It precisely fits your
charter and is interesting to readers of sci.military.

I wonder if Iraqi military were tracking this detail
before the shooting began.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

From: milton@lion.ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller)
Subject:Re: 'time' for war
Date: 17 Jan 91 19:06:54 GMT

In article <9101171132.aa10312@huey.udel.edu> Mills@udel.edu writes:
>Colin,
>
>We will know the status of timekeeping in the Gulf more precisely
>when we learn the fate of the LORAN-C station in Kuwait operated
>by the previous government.
>
>Dave

I found this article posted by Patty Winter for Phil Karn; it is
not quite your question, but sort of the reverse: not how
does war affect time, but how does time affect war.
milton

aardoom@donau.et.tudelft.nl (Eric Aardoom) (02/04/91)

From: aardoom@donau.et.tudelft.nl (Eric Aardoom)

A collegue of mine showed me a message (Hi, patrick!), which he picked up from
sci.military, about the availability of GPS for military navigation in the
Gulf. I would like to add some comments to this message. Also I included a shar
file, which contains a bar chart of the number of visible satellites and
predictions of GPS accuracy (DOP values) in the area around the Gulf during 24
hours, as well as an almanac, containing satellite orbital parameters. The DOP
file is pretty large, so I compressed and uuencoded it. The predictions can be
used for longer periods of time if a correction of approx. 4 minutes time shift
per day forward is added.

[mod.note:  Due to the excessive size, I have deleted this shar file.  I
would presume it would be available upon request from the author. - Bill ]

Currently there are 11 block II satellites available, but let's not ignore the
fact that there are also 5 block I satellites, which can still be used.
Consequently, the number of available satellites totals 16, not 10!

I suspect the launching schedule of GPS has been given special priority. I have
noticed that since my latest almanac update (about a month ago) SV 23 was added
to the constellation of active satellites, although there weren't supposed to
be any launches until the end of february '91 (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, I have just downloaded a new almanac from SV 13 with our experimental
GPS receiver, and I would like to share it with the readers.  Included below
are the results in my own almanac format (does anybody know of a data
interchange standard for GPS data?). Though it is not (yet) a complete almanac,
it should be enough to make an estimate of GPS coverage. Note that the block I
satellites SV 3, 6, 9, 11, 12, and 13 are still alive and well.  Also note that
the anti-spoofing capability of the block II satellites is turned off! (or
could this be a bug in my decoding program?)

The almanac contains mainly the truncated Keplerian orbital parameters of the
satellites and the time of almanac (TOA). It should be sufficient to predict
satellite visibility and GDOP values anywhere on earth. I am still working on a
new prediction program, which I am willing to make available when it is
finished, if the war isn't over by then. Just let me know.

As I said, also included are a bar graph of the number of visible satellites
during 24 hours and a listing of Dilution Of Position (DOP) values. There is
almost full 24 hour 4 satellite coverage at this moment.  However, visibility
does not garantee accuracy. Most important DOP values for airplanes are PDOP
and GDOP.  Large values result in low inaccuracy position fixes.  GDOP values <
6 can be considered reasonably good values, GDOPs < 3 are excellent.

For those who are not going to have a peek at the tables in the shar file I
would still like to make one observation. Latest SV launched, no.23, is
visible only during nighttime, presently from 23:40 until 7:00 (UTC). Adding
this satellite to the constellation has significantly improved accuracy and
continuous availability during nighttime (guess why).

For those of you who do not have the tools to unpack this, I can also make this
information available through anonymous ftp.

I hope this information will be useful.

budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (02/06/91)

From: budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)

There is a bit more usefulness to GPS.  The conventional solution
is a four-dimensional one (Lat, Long, Alt, time) which requires four
satellites in view.  However....two dimensional service is quite
useful in many cases (ships, for instance have little practical use
for the altitude figure) and if you have another source of stable
time (a cesium, for instance), then you get get effective two dimensional
coverage with only two GPS satellites.

While few vendors are building integrated Loran/GPS receivers, but
there is a highly effective ability to use the two systems in a
complementary fashion.  Roughly, two Loran stations = one GPS
satellite.  A line of position is a line of position whether it
is a Loran rho-rho range, a Loran time delay hyperbola or a GPS
pseudorange.
  To put this into perspective, there is a Loran chain in central
Saudi Arabia designed to provide service over the Arabian Gulf (currently,
the Kuwait station is off air...).  A second chain in western Saudi Arabia
provides Red Sea coverage.