[sci.military] Silkworms

ferrill@u.washington.edu (Art Ferrill) (02/05/91)

From: Art Ferrill <ferrill@u.washington.edu>
A U.S. military briefer this morning indicated some concern about the threat
of Iraqi Exocets and Silkworms to our battleships. What is the Silkworm? Is it
surface to surface or air to surface or both? What are its range and accuracy?
What kind of warhead does it carry?

hall@EBay.Sun.COM (Scott Hallmark) (02/06/91)

From: hall@EBay.Sun.COM (Scott Hallmark)

In article <1991Feb5.040625.4296@cbnews.att.com>, ferrill@u.washington.edu (Art Ferrill) writes:

>A U.S. military briefer this morning indicated some concern about the threat
>of Iraqi Exocets and Silkworms to our battleships. What is the Silkworm?
 The Silkworm is a Chinese variant of of the old Soviet Styx missile.
>Is it surface to surface or air to surface or both?
 The Silkworm is a surface to surface missile.
>What are its range and accuracy?
 It's range is 40nm.+. Accuracy unk. but can be seriously degraded by AECM
 and/or SRBOC.
>What kind of warhead does it carry?
 2200lbs.HE or possible Nuclear.

 Scott Hallmark ex-EW1(SW) plankowner BB-63, CG-33, FFG-30