[sci.military] Iraqi AWACS ?

newman@frith.egr.msu.edu (Timothy S Newman) (02/04/91)

From: newman@frith.egr.msu.edu (Timothy S Newman)

Some reports about the planes fleeing Iraq have mentioned that AWACS
planes are included in those which have landed in Iran.  Anyone
know how, when, and why Iraq got AWACS?

Also, what can an AWACS do on the ground; I understand it has
some capability while on the ground.

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/05/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: newman@frith.egr.msu.edu (Timothy S Newman)
>
> Some reports about the planes fleeing Iraq have mentioned that AWACS
> planes are included in those which have landed in Iran.  Anyone
> know how, when, and why Iraq got AWACS?

  I don't believe Iraq has any Boeing E3 AWACS.  Currently only the U.S.,
  NATO, and Saudi Arabia have any E3 AWACS.  Britain and France will soon
  start getting theirs.

  I also don't think they have any E2C Hawkeye's (Navy's mini-AWACS) nor
  any Soviet Tupolev "Moss" (Soviet's AWACS).  So, I don't know what
  they are talking about.

> Also, what can an AWACS do on the ground; I understand it has
> some capability while on the ground.

  The only think AWACS can do on the ground is take up space.  For all the
  electronics on board (especially the radar) to work properly - it must be
  super-cooled - and the super-cooling only is only initiated at a certain
  minimum altitude and speed.

  mike schmitt

tkogoma%triton.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Gym Z. Quirk) (02/05/91)

From: tkogoma%triton.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Gym Z. Quirk)
In article <1991Feb4.044954.10294@cbnews.att.com> newman@frith.egr.msu.edu (Timothy S Newman) writes:
>Some reports about the planes fleeing Iraq have mentioned that AWACS
>planes are included in those which have landed in Iran.  Anyone
>know how, when, and why Iraq got AWACS?

I don't think that the Iraqis use AWACS (The modified 707 the USAF is
so proud of) per se, but perhaps a midification of the Soviet IL-76
Mainstay aricraft.  Its mission is similar to the E-3A (Correct
designatio?), but its capabilities are not as good...

--
Capt. Gym Z. Quirk  net.terrorist (reformed) | THIS SPACE FOR RENT
tkogoma@triton.cirt.unm.edu                  | (until I can find

king@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (Peter King) (02/06/91)

From: king@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (Peter King)
Isn't the Iraqi AWACS mounted on a Il-76 Candid?  I seem to recall seeing on
some film footage such a plane with Iraqi markings but I'm not 100% sure.
Peter King                      *   email: king@alfven.physics.su.oz.au
Plasma Physics Department       *
University of Sydney, NSW 2006. *   voice: 61 2 692 3371

larmo@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) (02/06/91)

From: larmo@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator)

The AWACS that they are refering to is not the same one developed in the U.S.
Any aircraft that can control and survey an airspace can be considered an
AWACS.
From: alfalfa@hardy.u.washington.edu (Corey Lawson)

Hmm...

Well, before this all started, Iraqi TV showed a "Moss" being flown in
to their country.  It's probably junk now, or in Iran...

-alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (02/07/91)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)
In article <1991Feb5.034529.861@cbnews.att.com>, bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:
>   I don't believe Iraq has any Boeing E3 AWACS.  Currently only the U.S.,
>   NATO, and Saudi Arabia have any E3 AWACS.  Britain and France will soon
>   start getting theirs.
>
>   I also don't think they have any E2C Hawkeye's (Navy's mini-AWACS) nor
>   any Soviet Tupolev "Moss" (Soviet's AWACS).  So, I don't know what
>   they are talking about.

The Iraqi AWACS aircraft in question is the Ilyushin IL-76 Mainstay, a version
of the IL-76 Candid four-engine military jet transport operated by the
Soviet Air Force.  The Candid is roughly the Soviet equivalent of the
Lockheed C-141 Starlifter and has essentially the same configuration as
its American counterpart (high wing, four engines in individual underwing
pods, high horizontal tail, etc).  The Mainstay differs from the Candid by
having a large saucer-shaped housing for a radar antenna mounted high above
the top of the fuselage.

I rememeber reading that the Iraqis acquired two Mainstays from the Soviets.
One was destroyed in the initial attack of Desert Storm, the other has
fled to Iran.

ihlpm!jfb                           Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!
jfb200@cbnewsd.att.com