[sci.military] Know anything about the FOG-M

tborge@viewlogic.com (Tom Borge) (02/04/91)

From: tborge@viewlogic.com (Tom Borge)
I seem to recall 3 or 4 years ago I heard or read about the FOG-M (Fiber Optic
Guided Missle).  As I recall, it was developed privately and was touted as far
superior to the TOW.  It was larger than the TOW, but like the TOW it trailed
a control cable, but this one was a fiber optic cable.  Also, it was controled
remotely, the "flyer" did not have to stand ( and be exposed ) at the
launch site.
It was demonstrated as a tanker killer and supposedly scored quite well
during
tests.  The Army then said they had a very good tank killer in the
Apache or
possibly the Cheyenne at that time.  Well, the developer supposedly
asked for a
mixed tank and heliocopter test and then killed both the tanks and the
heliocopters.

The Army said thanks we'll look into it and promptly filed it under
NIH.

Does anyone else remember the FOG-M, and if so do you know whatever
happened to it?

Just another question from
Tom Borge
tborge@buck.viewlogic.com

The opinions expressed do not represent the opinions of Viewlogic.

carmi@ipla01.hac.com (Aviram Carmi) (02/05/91)

From: carmi@ipla01.hac.com (Aviram Carmi)

In article <1991Feb4.053534.16085@cbnews.att.com> tborge@viewlogic.com (Tom Borge) writes:

>From: tborge@viewlogic.com (Tom Borge)
>I seem to recall 3 or 4 years ago I heard or read about the FOG-M (Fiber Optic
>Guided Missle).  As I recall, it was developed privately and was touted as far
>superior to the TOW.
>Does anyone else remember the FOG-M, and if so do you know whatever
>happened to it?

The Non-Line of Sight (NLOS), earlier known as FOG-M, was part of the Army's
Forward Area Air Defense System (FAADS).  The missile system was designed to
allow Army gunners to attack and destroy enemy helicopters and armored vehicles
masked by terrain or hidden from direct line-of-sight by sending commands
through a fiber optic link.

In December 1988, following a technical competition in which the competitors
submitted cost proposals, the Army awarded a cost-type development contract
to the team of Boeing and Hughes Aircraft Missile System Group (MSG).
MSG has been a pioneer in the development of fiber optics for missile guidance
and NLOS was the fruit of this pioneering effort.

The MSG and Boeing team received word from the Army in December 1990 that the
NLOS program is being terminated.  In the announcement, the Army said it is
taking this action because of the program's unanticipated cost growth.  The
Army said it suspected that the proposals were unrealistically low.  According
to the Army the award was well below the government's estimate of the cost
to complete the full-scale development of the NLOS system.

--

Avi Carmi   EMail: carmi@ipla01.hac.com   Phone: (818) 702-3179

alfalfa@hardy.u.washington.edu (Corey Lawson) (02/06/91)

From: alfalfa@hardy.u.washington.edu (Corey Lawson)

I hate to say this, but...

Boeing is notoriously bad at military contracts...

FOG-M, Tacit Rainbow (I think...), and many other Boeing programs have a
tendancy to run way over budget and way under expectations...They do have
some successes, like the ALCM, but...

Anyways...I don't mean to make Boeing look bad.  That's just the way it is.

-alfalfa

alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu

ASISKIND@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (The Frosh) (02/07/91)

From: The Frosh <ASISKIND@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU>

> From: tborge@viewlogic.com (Tom Borge)
> I seem to recall 3 or 4 years ago I heard or read about the FOG-M (Fiber Optic
> Guided Missle).  As I recall, it was developed privately and was touted as far
> superior to the TOW.  It was larger than the TOW, but like the TOW it trailed
> a control cable, but this one was a fiber optic cable.  Also, it was controled
> remotely, the "flyer" did not have to stand ( and be exposed ) at the launch
> site.
stuff deleted
> Does anyone else remember the FOG-M, and if so do you know whatever
> happened to it?
I read an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about one week before the war
broke out about the FOG-M (all the details are from memory, so please forgive
any mistakes).
The FOG-M was cancelled by the U.S. Army after a "much improved" version had a
disasterous flight test in front of top Army brass.  The FOG-M was originally
conceived as a daytime, manually guided weapon (with an optical site with a
fibre optic cable connecting it with the launcher) with a range of about three
miles and a cost per unit of about $20000.  The U.S. Army then decided that it
wanted a weapon that could be used day or night and (I assume) with some
adverse weather capability, so an infra-red seaker head was used (I'm assuming
that it replaced the optical head).  The missle was subject to so many
"improvements" that its cost rose to about $75000 per missle without a
corresponding increase in performance, and after the test firing (where, if I
remember correctly, the first launch was a dud or a failure and when the
soldier firing the missle attempted to destroy it remotely, he accidently
crossed the wires, and blew up the second test missle) the missle was finally
cancelled, which is a real shame because if the missle was available in its
original, "unimproved" form, it would certainly make life much easier for our
troups in Saudi Arabia (by making it easier to destroy the Iraqui tanks buried
in the desert).