[sci.military] Missles

rmp@Eng.Sun.COM (Richard Pottorff) (01/23/91)

From: rmp@Eng.Sun.COM (Richard Pottorff)
I remember reading about the German's V-1s (buzz bombs) and V-2s that
were launched at England in WWII. The buzz bombs were fairly easily
shot down, but there was no warning for the V-2s.

I'd like someone in the know about the V-1s, V-2s, and SCUDS to post
a comparison of them: Payload, Range, Max Velocity, Propellants, etc.

As a bit of humor, Saddam Hussein has shot down at least 11 of our
Patriot missles with his SCUDs.

Rick

msjohnso@ensub.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Johnson) (02/04/91)

From: msjohnso@ensub.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Johnson)

Richard Pottorff writes:

>I'd like someone in the know about the V-1s, V-2s, and SCUDS to post
>a comparison of them: Payload, Range, Max Velocity, Propellants, etc.

V-1 (proper name Fi-103)

Payload: 2000 lbs Amatol
Range: 175-200 mi
Propulsion System: Gasoline-fed pulsejet (LOUD)
Launcher: Fixed-site 'ski jump' about 100 yards long
Velocity: < 400 kt (interceptible with Hawker Tempest)
Altitude: usually less than 5000 feet.
Guidance: Simple 2-axis autopilot. Locked elevator in full down
          position when fuel exhausted.
[The first cruise missile]

V-2 (proper name A-4)

Payload: 2000 lbs Amatol
Range: 175-200 mi
Propulsion System: Ethanol (80%) and LOX, pure rocket.
Launcher: Truck-mounted platform.
Velocity: > 2000 kt (detectible on radar but not interceptible)
Altitude: 60 mi at apogee
Guidance: Gyroscopic autopilot with guide vanes in rocket exhaust.

The V-2 and the SCUD are fairly comparable; the SCUD probably is somewhat
more accurate...I've never seen any CEP estimates for the V-2 but I'd have
to guess it was no better than 2-3 miles, if that good. Because of its
airplane-like altitude and speed, the V-1 was very vulnerable to coastal
antiaircraft fire and fast fighter interception. Some V-1's were downed by
Tempest pilots without a shot--they placed their wing above one wing of the
V-1, breaking its lift and causing it to roll over...the autopilot couldn't
recover from more than about a 15-20 degree roll and the bomb would spin in
to open country (ref: _The Big Show_, by Pierre Clostermann, now Air Minister
of France, then a Free French pilot with the RAF).
--
Mark Johnson      WB9QLR/0      NCR Peripheral Products Division
Mark.Johnson@Wichita.NCR.COM    3718 N. Rock Rd.

fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (02/05/91)

From: fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <1991Feb4.071827.23373@cbnews.att.com>, msjohnso@ensub.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Johnson) writes:
> airplane-like altitude and speed, the V-1 was very vulnerable to coastal
> antiaircraft fire and fast fighter interception. Some V-1's were downed by
> Tempest pilots without a shot--they placed their wing above one wing of the
> V-1, breaking its lift and causing it to roll over...the autopilot couldn't
> recover from more than about a 15-20 degree roll and the bomb would spin in
> to open country (ref: _The Big Show_, by Pierre Clostermann, now Air Minister
> of France, then a Free French pilot with the RAF).

The pilot usually (if using the tipping method) would put his wing *under*
the V-1's wing, then tipping it away and tumbling the gyros.

Spoiling the lift on the V-1's wing would cause it to roll *toward* you...
surely a CLM*.

This from a friend who flew RAF Spitfires and Typhoons, 485 (NZ) Squadron.
He never went after a V-1, but he knew "Tiffy" pilots who did.  (Shooting
one down wasn't a really good idea: if close enough to reliably hit the
thing, you were likely to be too close when it went *bang*!)

	* CLM = Career-Limiting Maneuver

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen) (02/07/91)

From: thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)
In article <1991Feb5.044322.6890@cbnews.att.com> fiddler@Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:

>He never went after a V-1, but he knew "Tiffy" pilots who did.  (Shooting
>one down wasn't a really good idea: if close enough to reliably hit the
>thing, you were likely to be too close when it went *bang*!)

Interestingly enough, when they did blow up a V1 in mid air (using
20mm cannons, you could probably do this 400m away) they invariably
flew throught the explosion and came out upside down. It seems that
once there was no air pressure on the wings in the vacuum of the
explosion, the propeller of the Typhoon had enough torque to flip the
plane. Apparently confused them mightily for a while. Of course, this
wouldn't have happened with a Meteor, but the debris would be more
likely to damage the engines.
--
thos cohen  				       |Softway Pty Ltd
"Stopping to pick up passengers would disrupt  |ACSnet:         thos@softway.oz