[sci.military] SCUD Intercepted!

szabo%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (Nick Szabo) (01/23/91)

From: Nick Szabo <szabo%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>

In article <1991Jan18.182446.1944@cbnewsc.att.com> rats@cbnewsc.att.com (Morris the Cat) writes:

>This is a historic moment: the very first time a ballistic missile
>has been destroyed in battle by an air defense system!
>..

This raises a few questions:

(1) Can the Patriot be used against ICBMs?  How close is the Patriot
    to violating the ABM Treaty?

(2) The Patriot has so far proven effective (9 out of 9 ballistic
    missiles destroyed with 1 "friendly fire" misfire), but it must
    hit its targets at the last moment.  Couldn't we build a more
    effective system without the ABM Treaty?

(3) Given the proliferation of ballistic missile, chemical, and nuclear
    capability around the globe, and the growing instability in the Soviet
    Union, should the U.S. reevaluate the use of ABMs for protecting
    U.S. cities and military assets from missile attacks?

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
Embrace Change...  Keep the Values...  Hold Dear the Laughter...

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: Nick Szabo <szabo%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>
>(1) Can the Patriot be used against ICBMs?  How close is the Patriot
>    to violating the ABM Treaty?

It should be possible to intercept an ICBM with a Patriot, if the Patriot
is in *precisely* the right place.

As for the treaty, I believe systems like the Patriot -- a heavy antiaircraft
system with an "incidental" antimissile capability -- are exempt.

>    hit its targets at the last moment.  Couldn't we build a more
>    effective system without the ABM Treaty?

Perhaps.  Patriot is also just about at the limits of what can be moved
by air in a reasonable way, an important consideration when a war brews
up in an inconvenient place.  Bigger radars and heavier missiles could
compromise its portability.

More generally, I don't think there is much doubt that we could build more
effective antimissile systems if we tried hard.  Just where the upper limit
is located is a debatable point.

>(3) Given the proliferation of ballistic missile, chemical, and nuclear
>    capability around the globe, and the growing instability in the Soviet
>    Union, should the U.S. reevaluate the use of ABMs for protecting
>    U.S. cities and military assets from missile attacks?

This is policy rather than a technological question, and probably does not
belong in sci.military.  I think it is proper to observe that a lot of
people are going to be asking that question much more seriously than in
the past, given recent demonstrations that missile defenses are possible
and useful.

(Side observation:  it occurred to me a few days ago that Patriot, meant
to be the US Army's definitive heavy antiaircraft system, may never be
allowed to shoot at an aircraft!  There are lots of systems that can
shoot down aircraft; Patriots are too valuable for missile defence to
be wasted on planes.)
--
If the Space Shuttle was the answer,   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
what was the question?                 |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (02/05/91)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
In article <1991Feb4.062022.19173@cbnews.att.com>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>(Side observation:  it occurred to me a few days ago that Patriot, meant
>to be the US Army's definitive heavy antiaircraft system, may never be
>allowed to shoot at an aircraft!  There are lots of systems that can
>shoot down aircraft; Patriots are too valuable for missile defence to
>be wasted on planes.)

Horse hockey. Su-24 comes in to make a runway attack, it will get shot at by
whatever can be thrown at it. You don't know if it has chemicals or a lot of
bombs. You don't take the chance, either.

 Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park
	        *       Ray Kaplan for DECUS president     *
                          SYSMGR@CADLAB.ENG.UMD.EDU

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/05/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

> (Side observation:  it occurred to me a few days ago that Patriot, meant
> to be the US Army's definitive heavy antiaircraft system, may never be
> allowed to shoot at an aircraft!  There are lots of systems that can
> shoot down aircraft; Patriots are too valuable for missile defence to
> be wasted on planes.)

  Actually, the Patriot is designed to replace the Hawk (also built by
  Raytheon) as the High-to-Medium Altitude Air Defense System - originally
  designed against Aircraft - the improvements for ballistic missile defense
  is an add-on.   Hawks are still in the active inventory providing Low-to
  Medium Altitude air defense.  "Lots" of ADA systems are:

         Patriot Missile (Hi-Mdm)
         Hawk Missile (Lo-Mdm)
         Chapparal Missile (Short Range - Low) Track Mounted
         Avenger (Short Rg - Low) HMMVW Pedastal mounted Stingers
         Stinger (MANPAD - man portable - shoulder fired)
         Vulcan (20mm gun) point defense system.

  mike schmitt

brooksp@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Peter Brooks) (02/05/91)

From: Peter Brooks <brooksp@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
>>From: Nick Szabo <szabo%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET>
>>(1) Can the Patriot be used against ICBMs?  How close is the Patriot
>>    to violating the ABM Treaty?
>
>It should be possible to intercept an ICBM with a Patriot, if the Patriot
>is in *precisely* the right place.

I was reading somewhere (Aviation Leak?) that an ICBM reenters at about
Mach 28.  Since the Patriot is a Mach 3 missle, the chances of a successful
intercept are slim at best.  They specifically stated that the Patriot
was not intended for ICBMs, but for tactical ballistic missles and
the odd aircraft.
>From my (foggy) memory of the ABM treaty, the US was allowed to deploy
1 bank of missles.  We had developed the Sprint for the purpose, but
we never used the opportunity to deploy.

Pete Brooks

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
>>... There are lots of systems that can
>>shoot down aircraft; Patriots are too valuable for missile defence to
>>be wasted on planes.)
>
>Horse hockey. Su-24 comes in to make a runway attack, it will get shot at by
>whatever can be thrown at it. You don't know if it has chemicals or a lot of
>bombs. You don't take the chance, either.

So you shoot it down, and a Scud gets through that night because you're
short of Patriots?  Don't be silly; the military gets paid to take
chances.  Deploying your weapons wisely includes saving your most capable
weapons to deal with the most difficult threats.  Although I don't know
for sure, it would not surprise me at all if the Patriot batteries are
under orders to fire at aircraft only as a last-ditch self-defense measure.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

[mod.note:  For once, I think I disagree with Henry.  Seems to me that the
Su-24 poses a much greater threat.  The Scud, assuming it doesn't go
out of control and miss completely, is very inaccurate.  Its warhead weight
is pretty low, even for chemical munitions.  And it only flies once.
    The bomber, on the other hand, carries a greater payload, delivers it
more accurately and intelligently, and if you don't shoot it down, will be
back tomorrow to do the same thing. - Bill ]

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (02/07/91)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
>>Horse hockey. Su-24 comes in to make a runway attack, it will get shot at by
>>whatever can be thrown at it. You don't know if it has chemicals or a lot of
>>bombs. You don't take the chance, either.
>
>So you shoot it down, and a Scud gets through that night because you're
>short of Patriots?

The Scud is a Mickey-Mouse weapon which has a mickey mouse payload,
no proven ability to carry chemical weapons (Despite working day
and night the Iraqis haven't figured out how to get an adequate way to disperse
chemicals out of an RV).

The Su-24 has a greater bomb load and greater accuracy to unload missiles. Plus
a certified ability to carry chemical weapons.

Unless you know something I don't, there aren't any shortages of Pats in the
Persian Gulf War. If anything there are lots of "Block 1" Patriots available,
which are designed to kill airplanes, and fewer "Block 2" Pats designed for a
dual-role. Regardless, you use what you have at hand to take out the threat.

>Don't be silly; the military gets paid to take chances.

They also work on manageable risk. They haven't engaged every SCUD either. They
will engage every serious threat. An Su-24 is a more serious threat than a
SCUD.

>Deploying your weapons wisely includes saving your most capable
>weapons to deal with the most difficult threats.  Although I don't know
>for sure, it would not surprise me at all if the Patriot batteries are
>under orders to fire at aircraft only as a last-ditch self-defense measure.

That's absurd. "Sorry, we couldn't shoot at it because they didn't attack us
directly." If a plane flies into a Patriot's area of coverage and it is
designated hostile, it WILL be shot at. Even if the wreckage is later
identified as friendly :-(.