[sci.military] >Patriots

atz@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Jeff) (01/24/91)

From: atz@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Jeff)

stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson x2580 dept303) writes:

>As a side note I think I also heard that the Patriots go for
>around $1.2 Million each.

The only 'official' total I heard on the news was $600,000.

Even $1.2 million would be worth it if it saves lives.

--

begin 644 .sig
M(`T@#49O;VQE9"!Y;W4A(2$A#2`-(!H:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:D

dak@super.ORG (Don A. Kreinbrink) (02/04/91)

From: dak@super.ORG (Don A. Kreinbrink)

  I've heard that the differences in costs of the patriots is due
to the inclusion of the launcher.  I've seen costs for the missile
in the $ 750,000 range. If the costs of the launcher and associated
avionics are included the cost per missile jumps to the $ 1,200,000
range.  I have no hard figures to back this up, just what I've read
from various publications.
--Don

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (02/05/91)

From: smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin)

The AP is running a longish story about many different sorts of
hardware the U.S. is using in the Gulf.  For many obvious reasons,
I won't post the whole thing; I will give one relevant tidbit.
They say that a batter of 8 Patriot launchers, equipped with 32
missles, and the adjunct radar, command and control center, comm
gear, and generator costs $123 million.  Yikes!

stoffel@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Stoffel) (02/07/91)

From: stoffel@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Stoffel)

In article <1991Feb5.042837.5856@cbnews.att.com> smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) writes:

>They say that a batter of 8 Patriot launchers, equipped with 32
>missles, and the adjunct radar, command and control center, comm
>gear, and generator costs $123 million.  Yikes!

Yikes is right. Especially if this is the cost of only one "Firing Unit"
which is suggested by the following;

Per INSIDE THE PENTAGON's special DESERT STORM REPORT dtd. 1/22/91,
each Patriot battery has 5 Firing Units; each firing unit has a radar
set, engagement control station, power station, antennae mast group,
and 8 remotely located launchers; each launcher carries 4 missles. This
would indicate that each battery has 160 "birds" ready to fly. Can anyone
verify this info.? If this is accurate, it would seem to indicate that
one would not have to be unduely concerned about conserving missles
during an aircraft or Scud attack. (At least in this conflict)

Bill