[sci.military] Marine M60 tank question

davisp@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Palmer Davis) (02/05/91)

From: davisp@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Palmer Davis)
In article <1991Feb4.071000.22733@cbnews.att.com> thi@mips2.cr.bull.com (Saigon Smuggler) writes:

>I have seen TV footage of Marines M60 tanks in desert.  Are these the A3
>variants?  I noticed that the 105mm cannons are not being stabilized as the
>tanks moved about which might indicates that these are older A1 variants.

Yes, they are indeed A1's.  You can tell the A3 version because it has a
big square thing sticking out the front of the turret (the laser rangefinder).

-- PTD --
--
Palmer T. Davis                 |  davisp@scl.cwru.edu  -OR-  ptd2@po.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University | {att,sun,decvax,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!davisp

nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo) (02/07/91)

From: nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)
>From: davisp@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Palmer Davis)
>In article <1991Feb4.071000.22733@cbnews.att.com> thi@mips2.cr.bull.com (Saigon Smuggler) writes:
>>
>>I have seen TV footage of Marines M60 tanks in desert.  Are these the A3
>>variants?
>
>Yes, they are indeed A1's.  You can tell the A3 version because it has a
>big square thing sticking out the front of the turret (the laser rangefinder).

If you're talking about a large 'box' attached to the mantlet above the 105-mm
main gun, that is the Xenon searchlight -- meaning that the vehicle is most
likely an M60A1. The 'A3 has some thermal sights; therefore, searchlight is
not necessary (this is not to say that searchlights would never be mounted
on an 'A3...anything along that line is possible). I'm not real familiar with
the laser rangefinder, but I do know that the rangefinder 'end casings' on
each side of the turret are utilized for sensors 'receiving' the range to be
passed on to the digital ballistic computer (they are not box-shaped, they are
rounded...just as on the 'A1). While there are big differences between the 'A1
and the 'A3, most differences are internal and not seen when looking at them
side-by-side.

**NOTE: I am not an expert on the 'A3 by any means -- I know of the 'A3, I
      know the basic differences between the two...but I KNOW the 'A1.

For the sake of information only:  the Xenon searchlight provides 100 million
candlepower of white light w/overdrive capabilities and IR. Also, capability
of narrow/wide mode of illumination. On a clear night, you can see forever
and ever and.......well, you get the picture ;-);-)

--

Mark Aldo   UUCP: (osu-cis)!dsacg1!waldo   INTERNET: waldo@dsac.dla.mil
Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center       | 614-238-8111