[sci.military] Carriers

alton@wpi.wpi.edu (Alton J Reich) (07/06/90)

From: alton@wpi.wpi.edu (Alton J Reich)

	Two pieces of news for all you carrier buffs.

	The USS Kennedy is at the EDIC Subaru pier (pier 7 I think) in
Boston this weekend, and the hours for tours are:

		Friday:      10:00 to 18:00
		Saturday:    10:00 to 16:00
		Sunday:      10:00 to 16:00

	The USS George Washington will be launched at Newport News
shipyard on 21 July at 11:00 (give or take a bit).  I encourage anyone
near the yard to see her launched, it's impressive.

************************************************************** N ever
I have seen all that has been,           * Alton J. Reich    * U nderestimate
And yet humanity fascinates me still,    * alton@wpi.bitnet  * K inetic
I have no face, no name, I the Observer. * alton.wpi.wpi.edu * E nergy

clee@td2cad.intel.com (01/23/91)

From: clee@td2cad.intel.com

In article <1991Jan22.013926.18118@cbnews.att.com> dps@otter.hpl.hp.com
(Duncan Smith) writes:
=
=I noticed something about the carriers listed as deployed:
=
=Aren't all except the last two conventionally powered? And all
=except the last one, which is brand spanking new (CVN-71?), in
=the region of twenty-plus years old?
=
=Perhaps this is an accident of rotation, but it looks to me
=as if a decision has been taken to husband the CVNs.
=
=Otherwise, where are Enterprise, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Nimitz and
=Carl Vinsen?

	I heard this several weeks ago so it might be obsolete.
Enterprise is supposed to be in for an engine refit which is suposed to
last ~ 2 years.

	The Abraham Lincoln was just deployed to Alameda, no idea where
it is now.
- --
          Cecil Lee, Intel Corp.

CLee@SC9.INTEL.COM or CLee%SC9%SC.INTEL.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
UUCP : {pur-ee,qantel,amdcad,oliveb,decwrl,hplabs}!intelca!mipos3!sc9!clee

------- End of Forwarded Message

wcarroll@encore.encore.com (William Carroll) (01/27/91)

From: jake!wcarroll@encore.encore.com (William Carroll)
From: clee@td2cad.intel.com

>	The Abraham Lincoln was just deployed to Alameda, no idea where
>it is now.

The Lincoln arrived at Alameda sometime in November, I believe. It
has been on a routine cruise and is scheduled to arrive back in port
today (1-25-91). There are rumours that it will not return but instead
is already on its way to the Persian Gulf.

From: "STOSC::TCOMEAU"@SCIVAX.STSCI.EDU

>CVN-72 is the _Abraham_Lincoln_, which I believe is on trials, and is
>for the moment without an air wing.

When it stopped at Port Everglades last spring (February? March? I can't
remember!) it had an air wing. I recall overhearing more than one
sailor grip that the pilots had flown home just before it entered port.
Everyone else got home two weeks later.

William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll
"This comment without commentary is not the view of the staff or management
of WKPX, the Broward County School Board, ... or even me." - KZ

swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams) (02/04/91)

From: swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams)

> ... I recall overhearing more than one sailor grip that the pilots
had flown home just before it entered port. Everyone else got home two
weeks later.

Pilots fly their planes home before their carrier enters the port for
two reasons: (1) it is a lot faster than unloading individual planes from
the carrier for maintenance at land station or squandon switching; and
(2) it helps lighten up the carrier especially if it is entering the
port at low tide.

[mod.note:  I would suspect that another consideration is that, in light
of our experience at Pearl Harbor, the aircraft are considered safer ashore
than on board, where they'd be unable to launch while the ship's in harbor.
- Bill ]

wcarroll@encore.encore.com (William Carroll) (02/08/91)

From: jake!wcarroll@encore.encore.com (William Carroll)
swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams) writes:
> Pilots fly their planes home before their carrier enters the port for
> two reasons: (1) it is a lot faster than unloading individual planes from
> the carrier for maintenance at land station or squandon switching; and
> (2) it helps lighten up the carrier especially if it is entering the
> port at low tide.

Not to mention the fact that if you're expecting a few thousand visitors
everyday touring the ship, a full load of planes on the hangar and/or
flight deck would be a real drag, in addition to the security problems.