[sci.military] Rank of military officers

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/05/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: "John D. Karunananthan" <jkaruna@jarthur.Claremont.edu>

> Can someone list the Rank of military officers in order of
> command. (For the Army,Navy,Air Force and the Marines)
> Thanks

  Army-AirForce-Marine      Navy                   Insignia
  General                   Admiral                4-stars
  Lieutenant General        Vice Admiral           3-stars
  Major General             Rear Admiral           2-stars
  Brigadier General         Rear Admiral(l/h*)     1-star
  Colonel                   Captain                silver eagle
  Lieutenant Colonel        Commander              silver oak leaf
  Major                     Lieutenant Commander   gold oak leaf
  Captain                   Lieutenant             2 silver bars
  First Lieutenant          Lieutenant j.g.        1 silver bar
  Second Lieutenant         Ensign                 1 gold bar
                            (*Rear Admiral (lower half) wears 2-stars)

  In the Army "Command Chain":

  Generals             command Armies
  Lieutenant Generals  command Corps
  Major Generals       command Divisions
  Brigadier Generals   are assistant division commanders
  Colonels             command Brigades
  Lieutenant Colonels  command Battalions
  Majors don't command anything - but are great staff officers, by god!
  Captains             command Companies
  Lieutenants          command Platoons

  "General Grade"  are the general officers
  "Field Grade"    are the colonel, lt col, and majors
  "Company Grade"  are the captains and lieutenants

  mike schmitt

               The most dangerous weapon in the world?
               A second lieutenant with a map!

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)
>  General                   Admiral                4-stars

Dept. of trivia:  there are actually theoretically two higher Army ranks
(don't know about USAF and USMC), although neither has been used lately.
There is a five-star general, "General Of The Army"; insignia is five
stars in a circle.  And there is "General Of The Armies" -- note plural --
which was used only once, for Pershing in WWI; he was given authority to
design his own insignia for it, but apparently never did so.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger) (02/07/91)

From: schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger)

In article <1991Feb5.043249.6192@cbnews.att.com> bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:

|  Army-AirForce-Marine      Navy                   Insignia
|  -----------------------------------------------------------
|  Brigadier General         Rear Admiral(l/h*)     1-star
|                            (*Rear Admiral (lower half) wears 2-stars)

Rear Admiral (lower half) is a one-star rank with one-star insignia.  Prior
to the re-creation of a USN one-star rank, the lower half of the Rear Admiral
list did indeed wear two-star insignia, but this has not been the case since
at least the mid-1980's.

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) (02/07/91)

From: "J.D. Baldwin" <baldwin@cad.usna.mil>
Henry Spencer writes (in response to Mike Schmitt):
>>  General                   Admiral                4-stars
>
>Dept. of trivia:  there are actually theoretically two higher Army ranks
>(don't know about USAF and USMC), although neither has been used lately.

They have traditionally been considered wartime ranks--I don't think there's
been any talk about reviving them for purposes of the current conflict.
I suppose it's expected to be too short to be worth the trouble.

Mr. Spencer added the Army ranks of General of the Army and General of the
Armies to the list.  There is also a Navy "Fleet Admiral" five-star rank.
It has only ever been held by Nimitz, King, and a couple of others.  It,
too, is considered a wartime rank.  There is not, to my knowledge, an
"Admiral of the Navies" equivalent.

Mr. Schmitt again:
>>  Army-AirForce-Marine      Navy                   Insignia
>>  -----------------------------------------------------------
>>  Brigadier General         Rear Admiral(l/h*)     1-star
>>
>>                            (*Rear Admiral (lower half) wears 2-stars)

Dept. of even-more-trivial-trivia:  "Rear Admiral Lower Half" wasn't really
a rank until very recently.  In the old days, a 1-star "admiral" was called
a "Commodore," but this caused some confusion with the traditional title of
a squadron commander, whatever his rank, who is called "Commodore."  (There
exists similar confusion when a Navy Commander is the Captain of a ship,
but no one seems to care too much about that one.)

Until around 1982 or so, Commodore was considered a wartime rank, and when
a Navy Captain made flag rank, he pinned on two stars and became a Rear
Admiral (the "lower half/upper half" distinction was still made for purposes
of pay, but no one really cared which admirals were lower or upper half).
Then someone decided to bring back the Commodore rank (rumor is that the
USAF and USA whined that the Navy guys didn't have to go through a period
of wearing one star).  That didn't work out for the "confusion" reason
mentioned above.  So, when they went back to the Rear Admiral Lower / Upper
Half, it became a one-star/two-star distinction, and the actual abbreviation
for the rank is different.  A Rear Admiral, Lower Half, signs his
correspondence, for example, with "Lower Half" after the rank.  No one,
of course, addresses such an officer with the "half" distinction.  He's
just "Admiral" or "Rear Admiral Smith."

Not that it's pertinent, but I think all this is stupid!  Bring back the
Commodore rank, or let's just have Rear Admirals with two stars again.  This
"Lower Half" business sounds too much like Admiral (junior grade).  Gross.
--
 From the catapult of:              |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _,_J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/07/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>
> Dept. of trivia:  there are actually theoretically two higher Army ranks
> (don't know about USAF and USMC), although neither has been used lately.
> There is a five-star general, "General Of The Army"; insignia is five
> stars in a circle.  And there is "General Of The Armies" -- note plural --
> which was used only once, for Pershing in WWI; he was given authority to
> design his own insignia for it, but apparently never did so.

  (a short side-note)  The five-star rank was created - especially for
  Eisenhower so he could 'match' the British Field-Marshal rank.  (It was
  also told that the 5-star rank was created so German Field-Marshals could
  properly surrender to an 'equal' officer (?))

  5-stars (from memory) Eisenhower, McArthur, Nimitz, Hap Arnold, Bradley -
  (did I forget anyone?).  Does anyone know why the U.S. didn't use the
  rank Field-Marshal - like all the European forces?

  mts

jimcat@rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) (02/07/91)

From: jimcat@rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak)

 Wasn't Douglas MacArthur given the rank of General Of The Armies
sometime during either WWII or Korea? Or was he just your garden-
variety five-star general? (-:

 Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the USAF once had
a five-star general (presumably General Of The Air Force). Can
anyone confirm or deny this?
--
 Jim Kasprzak          kasprzak@mts.rpi.edu (internet)
 RPI, Troy, NY         userfe0u@rpitsmts.bitnet

eachus@aries.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) (02/08/91)

From: eachus@aries.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus)

     As long as you are including such "trivia," as five star
Generals, there is a rank of Fleet Admiral, I think that Admiral King
was the only one.  Also the Navy still carries the rank of Commodore
on the books.  Officially it is a "flag rank" corresponding to
Brigadier General (or Rear Admiral (l.h.)), but its most recent use I
think has been to brevet Captains to command their peers.  (i. e. A
small task force would be commanded by a Captain breveted to
Commodore.)  I wish the Navy would make up their minds on this one one
way or the other.

--
					Robert I. Eachus
     Our troops will have the best possible support in the entire
their back.  President George Bush, January 16, 1991

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (02/08/91)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>
>Dept. of trivia:  there are actually theoretically two higher Army ranks
>(don't know about USAF and USMC), although neither has been used lately.
>There is a five-star general, "General Of The Army"; insignia is five
>stars in a circle.  And there is "General Of The Armies" -- note plural --

There is also a rank of "General of the Armies of the United States of
America" to which only one man has been promoted:  George Washington.
The US Congress voted to pothumously promote him in 1976.

Allan
Allan Bourdius [MIDN 3/C (Marine Option)/Brother, Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity]
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu or Box 4719, 5125 Margaret Morrison St., Pgh., PA  15213
"Give, expecting nothing thereof."  "Phi Kappa Theta, just the best."
"An unwarlike Marine is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar."
Nothing that I have written is the opinion of anyone but myself.  So there!

leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (02/08/91)

From: leem@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger)
In article <1991Feb7.020213.4132@cbnews.att.com> jimcat@rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:
:
: Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the USAF once had
:a five-star general (presumably General Of The Air Force). Can
:anyone confirm or deny this?

Yes, General of the Air Force "Hap" Arnold.

Lee

"Mit Pulver und Blei, die Gedanken sind frei."

emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) (02/08/91)

From: emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery)
Mike forgot the first, and most important 5-star General:  George
Marshall.  The story I understand is that the rank was created so that
Marshall could deal with British Field Marshalls on an equal basis,
and also because we figured out we needed a new rank for Army Group
commander.  Legend has it that the name "General of the Army" came
from Marshall's insistence that he'd "be damned if he'd be called
Field Marshall Marshall!"  I think there were 5 Army/Army Air Force
and 2 or 3 Navy 5-stars.

				dave

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (02/08/91)

From: howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz)

[mod.note: I think we've hammered this one about enough, haven't we ?
  No more rank amateurs, please !  8-)  - Bill ]

In article <1991Feb6.032439.22085@cbnews.att.com> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Dept. of trivia:  there are actually theoretically two higher Army ranks
>(don't know about USAF and USMC), although neither has been used lately.
>There is a five-star general, "General Of The Army"; insignia is five
>stars in a circle.  And there is "General Of The Armies" -- note plural --

To trivialize even further, Fleet Admiral was the Navy's WWII five-star
rank.  Army Air Force officers did (at least Arnold -- did Spaatz?)
but I don't know if they carried this into General of the Air Force;
I think I've seen the latter in USAF charts.

From memory, the five-stars were (not positive about Spaatz):

     ARMY:  Marshall (Army CoS), Arnold (USAAF), Spaatz (?-SAC equivalent)
            MacArthur (SWPAC Theater), Eisenhower (European Theater),
            Bradley (senior Army Group commander)

     NAVY:  Leahy (FDR's chief of staff), Nimitz (CINCPAC),
            Halsey (3rd Fleet CO)
              BOOO HISS!  Spruance, 5th fleet CO, had exactly
              the same ships as Halsey; different staff.
              He had to settle for four stars.
--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

gjw@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Garry J. Wardrope) (02/08/91)

From: "Mr Garry J. Wardrope" <gjw@cs.glasgow.ac.uk>

For those of you interested the UK ranks are slightly different ( particularly
the RAF ). Entries at each level in each list are equivalent.

	Royal Navy		Insignia (Gold lace worn on sleeve or
                                         on shoulder straps )

	Admiral of the Fleet		1 Broad stripe and 4 stripes
	Admiral				1   "      "       3    "
	Vice Admiral			1   "      "       2    "
	Rear Admiral			1   "      "       1    "
	Commodore			1 Broad stripe
	Captain				4 Stripes
	Commander 			3 Stripes
	Lieutenant commander		2 Stripes with one half stripe between
	Lieutenant			2 Stripes
	Sub Lieutenant			1 Stripe
	Midshipman			On each side of the collar of the coat,
                                   	a white patch with a buttonhole of white
					twist and a corresponding button.

(Each branch had a different colour beetween the stripes but this is only used
my the medical branch now.)

Until recently there were different ranks for WRNS but they have now been
integreated with the men. ( No jokes please)

	Army			Insignia (Shoulder straps )

	Field Marshal			Crown, crossed guns surrounded by laurel
	General				Crown, 1 star, crossed sword and gun
	Lieutenant General		Crown, crossed sword and gun
	Major General			1 star, crossed sword and gun
	Brigadier			Crossed sword and gun
	Colonel 			Crown, 2 stars
	Lieutenant Colonel 		Crown, 1 star
	Major				Crown
	Captain				3 stars
	Lieutenant			2 stars
	2nd Lieutenant			1 star
	( Stars are often referred to a pips )

	RAF			Insignia (As RN only narrower stripes and they
					are blue and black)

	Marshal of the Royal Air Force
	Air Chief Marshal
	Air Marshal
	Air Vice Marshal
	Air Commodore
	Group Captain
	Wing Commander
	Squadron Leader
	Flight Lieutenant
	Flying Officer / Observation Officer
	Pilot Officer

Senior Naval Officers (Commodore and above) were shoulder badges when in
dress uniform, similar to the army insignia. Army officers were a type of stripe
system when in dress uniform !

Marines use army ranks.

Most if not all these ranks are currently in use in the UK armed forces. As far
as the Navy goes there is an Admiral of the Fleet (naughty of me but I've
forgotten his name ) The Senior Naval Officer Middle East is
Commodore Chris Crag. I'm not so up on the army and RAF.  (Dont make bets on the
Army insignia .)

--
Mail:	Garry Wardrope, Computing Science Dept.,  Tel: (041) 339 8855 x5322
	Glasgow Univ., 17 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK.