[sci.military] Sonic booms as a weapon?

Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (02/06/91)

From: Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn)

     What might the feasibility be of using aircraft to fly at very low
altitude and supersonic speed over enemy troops in trenches.  Would the sonic
boom from a fighter be powerful enough to cause injuries and/or equipment
damage.  At the very least, repeated flights at night in the days preceeding a
battle would interrupt the sleep of the entrenched troops.
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

daly@strawber.princeton.edu (John Daly) (02/07/91)

From: daly@strawber.princeton.edu (John Daly)

|> From: Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn)
|>
|>      What might the feasibility be of using aircraft to fly at very low
|> altitude and supersonic speed over enemy troops in trenches.  Would the sonic
|> boom from a fighter be powerful enough to cause injuries and/or equipment
|> damage.  At the very least, repeated flights at night in the days preceeding a
|> battle would interrupt the sleep of the entrenched troops.

Yes, you can kill people this way.  Project Pluto, a formerly classified DOE
program, was basically a nuclear powered cruise missile that flew at tree-top
level at speeds ranging from Mach 3 to 5.  Reports indicate that if the shock
wave didn't kill you, the radiation from it 50(?)MW nuclear reactor would.  It
was cancelled though because no one could figure out how to test it.  (There
was a plan to tether it to a post and let it fly circles around Nevada.)

I think the problem is that we really don't have craft designed to fly at the
altitudes and speeds required for that type of mission.  Even if we did, we
could probably find something better for them to do, since you would have to
fly directly over the target to have full effect.  But, talk about at terror
weapon!

nak%archie@att.att.com (Neil A Kirby) (02/07/91)

From: nak%archie@att.att.com (Neil A Kirby)
In article <1991Feb6.032858.22494@cbnews.att.com> Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) writes:
>     What might the feasibility be of using aircraft to fly at very low
>altitude and supersonic speed over enemy troops in trenches.  Would the sonic
>boom from a fighter be powerful enough to cause injuries and/or equipment
>damage.  At the very least, repeated flights at night in the days preceeding a
>battle would interrupt the sleep of the entrenched troops.

It's not cost effective...

1. The sonic boom would cause damage/disruption, but not too much against
entrenched troops.  In the open perhaps is different. I have heard a naval air
annecdote about this.  A Soviet travller kept getting in the path of a
oncoming US carrier recovering aircraft.  Two phantoms, side by side and
above mach, fly by on either side of said travller.  The result was said to
resemble a direct hit as glass and debris went flying everywhere.

2. It only works once, per plane.  Troops in trenches tend to carry too
much SAM to make this even worth considering.  To be above mach that low,
most jets are on afterburner, and an easy IR SAM target.

3. For the same price, why not drop a stick of napalm or two while you are
there?  The jets would take a lot less SAM fire.

Neil Kirby

james@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie) (02/08/91)

From: J Gillespie <james@castle.ed.ac.uk>

daly@strawber.princeton.edu (John Daly) writes:

>I think the problem is that we really don't have craft designed to fly at the
>altitudes and speeds required for that type of mission.  Even if we did, we
>could probably find something better for them to do, since you would have to
>fly directly over the target to have full effect.  But, talk about at terror
>weapon!

The much-mentioned Tornado Gr1 is cleared for 800 knots at sea level;
could some of these zoom over the Republican Guard trenches on their
way to/from missions elsewhere, or would this take them too far off
course/use too much fuel/other good reasons why not to do it?  I think
they probably don't want to fly them that close to the ground unless
absolutely neccessary, as evidenced by the recent change in Tornado
tactics.

Just another opinion from:
--
  James Gillespie,     /~~~~~~~~\    "Looks fast!"
 Edinurgh University. /   @  @   \   "Yeah.  That's the stripes, man."