[sci.military] Spook specs?

JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W. Jewell) (02/06/91)

From:     "Larry W. Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>

On pg 248 of the March 1991 "Computer Shopper" the article
titled "How to Kick the Spy-Business Blues" starts with:
"When the Central Intelligence Agency, the Defense Intelli-
gence Agency, or any other James Bond-like ministry in the
U.S. Government buys a PC, the machine needs to meet so-called
Tempest security specifications that prevent the other side's
spies from electronically snooping around."

**UNCLASSIFIED ANSWERS PLEASE!!!***

What are the specs. for Tempest?  I'm curious because some of
the stuff I will be doing is VERY subject to industrial
espionage, and I'd like to know if the Government's standards
are good enough for industry?

P.S. I am building one hell of a hardened revetment out ot the
     backissues of "COMPUTER SHOPPER" :-).

"E-MAIL ANSWERS COMPILED, CREDITED, AND POSTED."

 *It works better if you plug it in.                                    *
 ******************* Sattinger's Law ************************************
  Larry W. Jewell                              JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From:     "Larry W. Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>
>Tempest security specifications that prevent the other side's
>spies from electronically snooping around."
>
>**UNCLASSIFIED ANSWERS PLEASE!!!***
>
>What are the specs. for Tempest?

No unclassified answer is available.  The Tempest specs themselves are
classified, available only to suitably-cleared contractors.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (02/08/91)

From: howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz)

In article <1991Feb6.032648.22323@cbnews.att.com> JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W. Jewell) writes:
>What are the specs. for Tempest?  I'm curious because some of
>the stuff I will be doing is VERY subject to industrial
>espionage, and I'd like to know if the Government's standards
>are good enough for industry?

Unfortunately, the exact Tempest specs are classified; I can,
on an unclassified basis, say what you would need to get access
to in order to get a reasonably good Tempest specification..  While I
think the numbers have changed, the main documents used to be
MIL-HDBK-232, "Red/Black Engineering Criteria," and NACSIM 5100
and 5200.  I can't remember which were which in the NACSIMs; one
specified maximum radiation limits and one specified test methods.
MIL-HDBK-232 and the test method were CONFIDENTIAL; the radiation
limits were SECRET.

The bottom line, however, is that (1) you probably don't have
a sufficient threat to warrant the HIGH expense of Tempest for
industrial use, and (2) it's not impossible to build Tempest-compliant
boxes even without the specs, as there are approved enclosures,
power line filters, etc., that you can wrap around any device.
EXPENSIVE.
--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]