[sci.military] A10 armor

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (02/04/91)

From: att!ncr-sd!ncrcae!sauron!clodII!keith
    Hi!  I have 2 questions that I'm sure someone in this group can
answer for me. I am aware that the A10 Warthog jet is designed for
low-level attack runs over enemy armor and is therefore armor plated
to an extent. I know the pilot is pretty much surrounded by it but
what about the jet engine pods and the fuel tanks, are they armored
to? It is designed to withstand cannon fire up to 37mm I believe so
how thick does this require it to be? Thanks. Please reply by E-mail
as I don't read this group regularly.

---
| Keith M. Boyd      (NCR E&M COLUMBIA) |       All information cleared by    |
| 3325 Platt Springs Rd.                |       by U.S. Military advisors!    |
| West Col., S.C. 29170                 |-------------------------------------|
| E-mail: keith@clodII.Columbia.NCR.COM |       NCR - We Take Customer        |
| VPhone: 803-791-6420   Fax: 791-6998  |       Satisfaction Personally       |

larmo@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) (02/06/91)

From: larmo@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator)

>I know the pilot is pretty much surrounded by it but
>what about the jet engine pods and the fuel tanks, are they armored
>to? It is designed to withstand cannon fire up to 37mm I believe so
>how thick does this require it to be?

The A-10 is NOT armour plated, The pilot sits in what is a titanium bathtub
with about 6" thick walls. this forms the cockpit area that the pilot and all
his flight cotrols/instruments aree in. the rest of the aircraft is designed
to survive ground fire. the fuel tanks are non exploding, there are several
flight surfaces that can sustain servere damage and still funtion. you could
vertually loose an engine and still fly.

Basically the pilot is proteckted in an aircraft that can survive heavy fire
from the ground.

From: Mark Anthony Brown <eeyore@cs.qmw.ac.uk>

Yeah, A10s are tough buggers, and are supposedly designed to soak up
ground fire like a sponge.  Also, I suppose, they are easily repairable
in the event of damage.  The last time I got a close look at one, the
skin panels were fastened by what looked like pop rivets.  So I assume
that damage repair procedures simply involve fixing any internal damage,
pop-riveting on a patch and away you go.

They are also slow -- some say that they're the only aircraft to get
birdstrikes on the trailing edge!

It seems to me that the designers at Fairchild knew what they were doing
with reference to making the plane less susceptable to "the golden bb",
especially in the CAS/BAI role where there's going to be a lot of
ground fire. Are these considereations taken into account with the
proposed F-16 or A-12 CAS/BAI replacements?

--
Mark A. Brown                     |
Research Student                  |  land line: +44 71 975 5220

jb7m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. R. Bennett) (02/08/91)

From: "Jon C. R. Bennett" <jb7m+@andrew.cmu.edu>

larmo@pro-odyssey.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:

> the rest of the aircraft is designed
> to survive ground fire. the fuel tanks are non exploding, there are several
> flight surfaces that can sustain servere damage and still funtion. you could
> vertually loose an engine and still fly.

there is a very good discription of the A-10's damage sustaining abilities
in, i belive, "An illustrated guide to modern combat aircraft", which
stated that, the A-10 can lose one engine, 1/2 of the horizonal stabilizer
(and with that one of its two tail fins), 1/2 of one wing, and one of the
three main wing spars (there are three and any two can take the load), and
STILL BE ABLE TO FLY! given this and the degree of protection given the
pilot it is clear that it should be very hard to down an A-10.

jon

wade@gouda.ucs.ubc.ca (Doug Wade) (02/09/91)

From: wade@gouda.ucs.ubc.ca (Doug Wade)
On the TV news tonight one report showed an A-10 that ran into some
anti-aircraft fire. One wing had what looked like about 2/3rds of it's
leading edge ripped and the upper skin pealed away. Bullet holes looked
like they were "everywhere".