[sci.military] How to See in the Dark with Low-Tech

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (02/07/91)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
There is a serious problem with night-vision devices which
amplify light: they destroy your night vision.

There is still a big need for good light discipline and
maintaining good night vision.  Normal human night vision
is pretty good (until you get to 40+); with moonlight you
can see almost as well as in daylight (but without color).
You have to practice at observing and shooting at night
(depth perception is not as good).  A good pair of 7x50
binoculars help - they gather the light and improve your
ability to see objects, but do not ruin your night vision.

It takes about 1 to 1.5 HOURS for your eyes to fully adapt
when going from "normal" light (a bunker with a lantern).
Red goggles help but only shorten the adaption time to about
30 min.  Adaptation is not time linear; you get about 50%
of your night vision in about 25-20 minutes.

Anyway, the point is, if you have good night vision, and you
are at an OP, you do NOT want to use your light-amplifying
device, as you will ruin your night vision for about an hour
or so.  Or you work in teams, one with, one without.

I have no experience with the desert, but in a clear area
(no canopy), light discipline and good night vision worked
very well.  Hardest thing is to keep troops from getting
careless and using flashlights or cigarette lighters; besides
wiping out night vision, it lets the bad guys know where you
are.  The red lenses for flashlights help, but even these
will reduce your night vision.

One related problem is that many digital watches can't be read
without a light.  Old fashioned radium dial watches are hard to
come by, and are expensive.  Technology giveth, and technology
taketh away.

FQV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (jim bowers) (02/08/91)

From: jim bowers <FQV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
In article <1991Feb7.014300.2505@cbnews.att.com>, cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V
Kauffold) says:

>There is a serious problem with night-vision devices which
>amplify light: they destroy your night vision.

  Simple solution, close one eye or wear an eye patch so you still have
one "good" eye.

                   Jim Bowers

cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu (Barry Johnson) (02/09/91)

From: cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu (Barry Johnson)
>From article <1991Feb8.014441.18630@cbnews.att.com>, by FQV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (jim bowers):
>   Simple solution, close one eye or wear an eye patch so you still have
> one "good" eye.

But will this not destroy what little depth perception you had as a
result of being in low light.  The reason for steroscopic sight is depth
perception.

Barry...
--
Barry Johnson                            cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu
Consulting & Technical Services     Standard disclaimer about me, my