[sci.military] National Guard: Not ready or sandbagged?

drn@pinet.aip.org (donald_newcomb) (02/07/91)

From: drn@pinet.aip.org (donald_newcomb)

  There has been some recent play in the media about how the
National Guard wasn't ready for war and had to be shipped off to
Ft. Irwin to be trained before going to the PG. This has caused a
great deal of reflection about the Total Force concept and how
well it will apply in the future.  The old question, "Should the
Regular Army be strengthened at the expense of the NG?," is being
asked, once again.
  I can tell you that the higher-ups in the MS-NG were absolutely
livid! The 155th Mechanized (1st Mississippi) Infantry scored higher
than regular units in their readiness tests. They just got back from
Ft. Irwin; what was it that the Army forgot to teach them when they
were there?
  There is a lot of historical, anecdotal evidence of the
Regulars sandbagging the NG to prove that they can't do the job.
This is especially true in the dog-eat-dog world of field and
general grade officers, where the Army has often called up
reserve units and replaced their officers with Regulars or broken
the units up to use as replacements.
  What are the FACTS? Does anyone have the readiness figures for
NG roundout units? How many NG field & general grade officers
have been called up? How many left behind? What is the source of
these reports about the NG?

Please reply directly to this mailbox. I will post a synopsis of
the replies.

| Donald R. Newcomb                   | Disclaimer: These are my opinions|
| (601) 863-2235                      | and I disclaim nothing because I |
| drn@pinet.aip.org (new)             | pay for this mailbox.            |

emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery) (02/08/91)

From: emery@aries.mitre.org (David Emery)
We had a briefing in my Guard unit last night with a lot of lessons
learned from the recent mobilizations.  I really can't go into
details, but a couple of general observations are worth noting:
	1.  USAR/ARNG (generically, RC units) combat support and
combat service support units are performing superbly, pretty much
across the board
	2.  Some RC units look just as good as RA units.  One example
is the Field Artillery Brigade from Oklahoma mobilized at Fort Sill.
But this unit has a significant advantage, since it gets to train at
the home of Field Artillery, and gets a LOT of assistance during its
training.
	3.  There is a general problem with "not training to
standard", where a RC unit is reported as being better than it is,
because its evaluators used a lower standard.  In general, I think
that most units would be unhappy with such an evaluation, but we all
know there are politics involved with such things.
	4.  There are some serious problems with senior NCO and
officer skills and qualifications, but the junior level people are
pretty good, once they get the right leadership and direction.

Overall, I think there will be a lot of changes in RC unit evaluations
as result of these lessons, and I think the idea of Roundout brigades
for RA units (particulary the RDF units like the 24 Mech Division) is
pretty much dead.  You really can't expect a unit that trains 40 days
per year to match one that trains 250 days per year, but the
performance of some RC units is an embarrasment to many of us who _DO_
take this stuff seriously and train to meet Army standards.  The
approach in the entire Army is to select those (mission-critical)
tasks you really have to perform to meet your mission, and this is
even more important in RC units, due to the limited resources.  You
pick the most important tasks and train to them.  Some units do this
better than others.

				dave emery
				CPT, FA, NHARNG

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (02/09/91)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

> From drn@pinet.aip.org (donald_newcomb)
>
>   There has been some recent play in the media about how the
> National Guard wasn't ready for war and had to be shipped off to
> Ft. Irwin to be trained before going to the PG. This has caused a
> great deal of reflection about the Total Force concept and how
> well it will apply in the future.  The old question, "Should the
> Regular Army be strengthened at the expense of the NG?," is being
> asked, once again.

  On one hand, recent Army editorials have pointed to the fact that
  some divisions deployed, not with their NG/RES roundout units but
  with an active duty brigade from somewhere else.  And they wondered
  just how effective is the 'round-out' concept.

  On the other hand, "had to be shipped off to Ft Irwin" because they
  weren't ready - rather it was a conscience decision to give them
  additional intense training before shipment.  (I guess that's not ready
  huh?)

>   I can tell you that the higher-ups in the MS-NG were absolutely
> livid! The 155th Mechanized (1st Mississippi) Infantry scored higher
> than regular units in their readiness tests. They just got back from
> Ft. Irwin; what was it that the Army forgot to teach them when they
> were there?
>   There is a lot of historical, anecdotal evidence of the
> Regulars sandbagging the NG to prove that they can't do the job.

  I have had the opportunity to train, evaluate, and manuever with
  National Guard and Reserve.  I put on a training exercise and evaluated
  a brigade of the Minnesota National Guard.  I was the senior evaluator
  of a California reserve battalion.  On a REFORGER in Germany, we had
  on our 'left flank' the Indiana NG (38th Division?).  In all my dealings
  I found the officers and men of the Guard and Reserve, dedicated, loyal,
  and professional in all respects.  They took pride in the readiness of
  their units and worked hard to maintain that readiness - often asking
  our (active) help in training.  Since they were 'round-out' to our
  units we had a vested interest in helping them maintain their readiness.

  I don't have any facts and figures - but I do have a sense that in many
  ways the Guard and Reserves are misrepresented - and their "readiness"
  is no more or worse than active duty "readiness".

  The real question is - how do you define "Readiness"?  But that, as they
  say, is a very complex topic - and can only be answered by someone who
  has actually prepared a "URR" (Unit Readiness Report - prepared monthly!).

  And THAT, I wouldn't want to start getting into - talk about "peaking".

  This is what will determine "readiness" and "success" in battle:

             Equipment, Training, and Leadership

  mike schmitt

        "All soldiers must train for war.  All else is bullshit!"
                                    - General George S. Patton Jr