[sci.military] P3's vs. Scuds ?

daf00@juts.ccc.amdahl.com (Dana A Freiburger) (01/27/91)

From: daf00@juts.ccc.amdahl.com (Dana A Freiburger)

Question for sci.military:

If the US/Allied forces are looking for hidden SCUD missiles, perhaps
a P3 Orion subhunter could be used to detect the metallic mass below
the desert surface.   Is this something a P3 could detect?

Thanks.

Dana A. Freiburger, Bringup Engineer   | daf00@juts.ccc.amdahl.com |
Amdahl Corporation, Sunnyvale, CA      |      (408) 746-3414       |
     [The opinions expressed above are mine, solely, and do not    ]
     [necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of Amdahl Corp. ]

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (02/07/91)

From: caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX)
Why not an RPV with MAD and similar sensore?

PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu (02/08/91)

From: <PAISLEY%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu>
In article <1991Feb7.015127.3180@cbnews.att.com>, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg
WA7KGX) says:

>Why not an RPV with MAD and similar sensore?

Nice idea, but do you know how long it would take to R&D, get funding for, and
finally deploy such a tool.  At least 5 years--MINIMUM....

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>Why not an RPV with MAD and similar sensore?
>
>Nice idea, but do you know how long it would take to R&D, get funding for, and
>finally deploy such a tool.  At least 5 years--MINIMUM....

A more technological objection is that MAD has a *very* short effective
range; it is suitable only for final localization, not for initial detection.

Also, it shouldn't be hard to mass-produce cheap magnetic decoys.

--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry