[sci.military] About those Ugly M-60's

JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W. Jewell) (02/05/91)

From:     "Larry W. Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>

One nice thing about discribing something poorly is that you get more
answers than you could have hoped for otherwise.  Both views below are
interesting in that they represent differing philosophies about "add-on"
armour.  I still think I would prefer a nice cozy 17 inches of hard
plate (Go "Big Mo"!).

In article <1991Jan28.041718.10532@cbnews.att.com> you write:

>From:     "Larry W. Jewell" <JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU>
>Footage from Sandy Arabia shown M-60's with large flat plates attached
>to the turret.  Is this reactive armour?  Any idea how it works and how
>much confidence the tankers have in it?  I've seen T-72's with smaller,
>and much more numerous boxes attached to the turret.  Is this difference
>demanded by the rounder shape of a "T" or is it Soviet thinking?

Larry,

A few answers...

1) Is this reactive armor? -Yes
2) Reactive armor is basically just blocks of explosive attached to
the tank.  It works by disrupting the hot gas jet put out by a HEAT
(High Explosive Anti Tank) round.  These rounds work by exploding a
shaped charge about a foot away from the armor, which forms a very
thin, superhot gas jet which then burns through the tank's armor.
(This is the reason HEAT rounds and antitank missiles such as the TOW
have a foot long spike on the front-to get correct standoff distance
for the jet formation.  But I digress...)  The idea behind reactive
armor is to disrupt this jet as it forms by exploding a charge as the
HEAT warhead goes off.  The jet, to use language from my real job, is
"very susceptable to initial conditions"  Disrupting it even a little
bit vastly reduces its effectiveness.  On average, you can expect
reactive armor to halve the penetration ability of a given HEAT round.

The M60 series desperately needs the additional armor protection.
The M1 series' Chobham armor is especially designed to defeat HEAT
rounds, which is why you don't see it attached to the M1s.

Reactive armor has started a whole new mini arms race.  The TOW IIA
has a small explosive charge in front of the main one, to set off the
reactive armor before jet formation.  I've been told that the Soviets
now have countermeasures to this, ....

Reactive armor is a godsend to tankers in another way.  Back when the
Sagger came out, people began to predict the demise of the tank from the
proliferation of cheap antitank guided missiles.  However, reactive armor
has now cast great doubts on the ability of these ATGMs, all armed with
HEAT warheads, to kill modern tanks equipped with it.  However, RA does
nothing to stop a sabot round, the tank's main anti tank round, so tanks
again become the premiere anti tank weapon....  (A sabot round is basical-
ly just a big bullet- no explosive at all.)

3) How much confidence do tankers have in it?  I can't speak for all
my brethren, but I'll lie, cheat and steal to get it on my M60A3 if I
get called up...

4) I don't know why the Soviets have many small blocks compared to our
few large ones.  I'll ask around- someone at my unit might know...

Hope this helps..
--
Eric R.                    | "Any quantity of interest can be found by solving
edremy@d31ha2.Stanford.EDU | the Schrodinger equation of the system. The

From:    "Nicholas C. Hester" <IA80024@MAINE>
Date:    Wed, 30 Jan 91 16:47:00 EST

I'm sure others have sent you letters already, but just in case, the large
flat plates are applique armor.  This is simply extra armor welded in place.
<Routing material edited from second e-mail, LWJ>
>From what I have gathered, it is to add thickness to certain area, enhancing
protection.  There was an extensive discussion of this on sci.military in the
past few months.  Alas, Bill has no FTP account to reach archived material.
<THAT'S OK, BILL, *I* FORGIVE YOU!
                             LARRY>
Applique is different than reactive armor where the round is pre-detonated or
the blast force is retarded by the shaped charge of the reactive armor.  Anti-
tank missiles get around this by a penetrator rod that pre-detonates the
charge.

Hope this helps.

 Nicholas C. Hester       |                                                   |
ia80024@Maine.Bitnet      | Farhvergnugen: "I've fallen, and I can't get up"  |
ia80024@Maine.Maine.edu   |                                                   |
 *The world will never have lasting peace so long as men reserve for war*
 *the finest human qualities.                                           *
 *********************** John Foster Dulles *****************************
  Larry W. Jewell                              JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU

thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen) (02/07/91)

From: thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen)
In article <1991Feb5.043146.6128@cbnews.att.com> JEWELLLW@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Larry W. Jewell) writes:

>	[ lots of stuff about reactive armour and HEAT rounds ]
>
>the tank.  It works by disrupting the hot gas jet put out by a HEAT
>(High Explosive Anti Tank) round.  These rounds work by exploding a
>shaped charge about a foot away from the armor, which forms a very
>thin, superhot gas jet which then burns through the tank's armor.
>(This is the reason HEAT rounds and antitank missiles such as the TOW
>have a foot long spike on the front-to get correct standoff distance
>for the jet formation.  But I digress...)  The idea behind reactive

While the standard explanation has been for years that a hot stream of
gas 'hoses' its way through the armour, Ian Hogg in his "Encyclopedia
of Ammunition" says that the 'slug' which was the metal lining of the
shaped charge has a velocity ~32 000 fps (which is somewhat faster than
the speed of detonation of the explosive) and with this velocity, it
penetrates using its kinetic energy. He also admits that that is simplified
so I am a little bit confused. Are there any real-type ammunition experts
out there who can shed light on this? And also how the speed of the slug
is faster than the detonation speed?

Bunker killing:

In another thread, people were talking about penetrating concrete bunkers
with whatever came to hand. In the same book, there is mention of a
"Rochling" concrete piercing shell, designed during WW2 in Germany,
and used early in the war. The shells were made from some hard metal
(Vanadium or Tungsten &c) and they didn't make many before they realized
they needed the metal to make machine tools. Hitler was also paranoid
about the Allies finding ones that hadn't exploded and had to give permission
for them to be used. Accounts show that they were very effective when they
were used : one test against the Maginot Line fortifications (after they'd
been captured) penetrated 5m of earth, 36m of concrete, a layer of broken
stone (doesn't say how thick) through a chamber and 5m into the floor of
the chamber! It wasn't fused so it did not explode (if it had been fused
correctly it would have exploded in the chamber).
Which brings to mind a question :
How long does it take 36m of concrete to cure, or would they put it down
in layers?

--
thos cohen  				       |Softway Pty Ltd
"Stopping to pick up passengers would disrupt  |ACSnet:         thos@softway.oz

rakoczynskij@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Jurek Rakoczynski) (02/11/91)

From: asuvax!gtephx!rakoczynskij@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Jurek Rakoczynski)

In article <1991Feb7.012722.118@cbnews.att.com>, thos@softway.sw.oz.au (Thomas Cohen) writes:

> How long does it take 36m of concrete to cure, or would they put it down
> in layers?

I worked a few years as a field inspector for a civil engineering firm.
While the technology of concrete is complicated, here are a few typical
guidelines to use for discussion (1, this is very simplified, 2, references
typical, run-of-the mill, average concrete, and 3, from memory 15 years
ago):

The concrete pour of a slab (like for a roof of a bunker) would probably
have been done as a continous pour within the limits of working in the day
light, and the strength of the forms to support the horizontal loads of the
poured concrete (like a dam).

The cure time (and strength of the concrete) is not typically affected by
the thickness, to the extent that moisture, temperature, salt (curing
agents) remain fairly constant.  Don't confuse drying out the surface of
concrete with curing concrete.  Once you have the proper moisture content,
you want to prevent the water from evaporating or being removed from the mix
so that the cement can hydrate.  The hydration is how the strength develops.

Typical 2500 - 3500 psi concrete will achieve % of strength as follows (from
memory):
 1 day = ~80% max
 3 day = ~90% max
30 day = ~95% max
and continues to cure for several years.

If I am REALLY off, please correct me, but I think it's accurate enough for
discussion.
--
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!rakoczynskij
Inet: gtephx!rakoczynskij@asuvax.eas.asu.edu